Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 28th, 2016, 11:43 AM

Overweight Alaskan Malamute Husky !?

Hey everyone,

I am looking for a very specific answer to a very specific question lol. It might seems a little bit funny but I really googled it and I cannot find exatly what I am looking for. So here is my question ;

A few months ago I went to the vet with Loki my Alaskan Malamute Husky. Loki was not the smallest of the litter, nor the biggest. Loki exercises a good 2 hours a day, without leash, in the woods. More precisely, we live on a mountain, so the woods are full of '' hills ' and there are no easy path . SO, last time we saw the vet he was about 85-87 pounds and he was a little bit over 9 months old. My vet is a regular city vet, I mean if you are a little bit familiar with Quebec,Montreal, Canada, you must know how freakin' EXPENSIVE they are and most of them exagerate and bla bla bla... so being not rich we ain't got the super top 5 star vet. But she got a clinic and all and is very popular and not expensive in the area.
MY question is mainly, she said Loki was starting to be OVERWEIGHT !!! I could NOT believe it... she says oh yess look around his chest how round it is seems like Mr got a lil' tire ! Well, turns out that after looking at thousandssssss of pictures over the internet, I just can't find him... big. I mean 9 months old, over weight !? WE might not buy the most expensive food, but we sure don't buy the cheapest. Loki eats about 5 cups of dry food to 7 or 8 depending on the days. He has food at all times, but he can spend sometimes up to 10 hours before he goes for a bite. Sometimes he will go trough 4 cups in a 24hours. I mean, he really doesn't eat that much. With all the play fetch, thug of was, hiking in the woods we do DAILY without a mistake every day since DAY 1, I really have a hard time to believe it.
SO now Loki is a year and a week old. We are going to the vet monday to see his exact weight. This morning I took his measurments and tried to look it up but couldn't find anything.
I would just like to hear opinions... and advice ? Or experiences with your malamute if he was bigger than a usual one.
SO I would think he weighs more than 90 pounds now,
35'' inches Chest circumference
27'' inches hips
20'' inches neck

Here's Loki a couple weeks ago, '' helping us '' cord the firewood

http://imgur.com/a/XkEux

Thank you very much, I know I wrote alot but I just want to make sure I don't over feed him, or you know I want to take good care of my big fury baby to the best of my capacities