Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 5th, 2018, 07:12 PM

Question Cat rapidly losing hair. No answers from vets.

Hey everyone.
I'm posting for my girlfriends cat who for 4 months now has been losing massive clumps of hair.

The cat is a 5 year old, female spayed DLH.

She is constantly licking herself. Everyday we find massive clumps of hair around the house. She has chewed off all the hair on her abdomen and has recently moved to chewing hair of under and around the tail.

We have gone for quite a few vet visits and spent hundreds of dollars so far to figure out what could be going on. We have change to a grain free limited ingridient diet and have tried 3 different formulas to see if it's a food allergy.

The vet suggested it could be stress and we were given feliway (feline pheromone diffuser). Fleas had been ruled out by the veterinarian. The vet suspected a possible urinary problem which the original sample came back positive for crystals but a second urine sample taken from her bladder grew absolutely nothing in the lab and we were told to discontinue giving her antibiotics. We had asked about mites but the vet didn't believe it was and did not think a skin scraping was nessissary.

As for the cat she seems happy. She plays, eats drinks and uses the bathroom just fine. She gets alot of affection and play time. She has free roam of a large house and doesn't seem to be anxious or in pain.

Me and my girlfriend are stumped from where to go from here. The cost of vet bills are getting very high.

Has anyone experienced a similar issue with one of their cats or have any ideas or suggestions. Right now we are stumped.

Tags
cat, chewing, depression, hair loss, licking