Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 28th, 2012, 08:14 AM
Formerly Bastien

Free Dogo Argentino?!?

Hey guys... How are you all doing?

So here it is. Ive been offered a FREE Dogo Argentino!

This friend of a friend owns 2 Dogos and she just had a baby, she can no longer take care of two dogs and a baby, so shes getting rid of one of the puppy (male-8months). Up to date on shots, house trained.

Im in big decision right now as if i take him or not. I have until mid July to make my decision.

The problem with this is that the dog is located pretty far away so i wont get to see Bully and him together before making my decision.

I wasent planing on getting another puppy right away but i think im "ready".

What would you do??? lol I know that i need to be prepared to do crate and rotate if necessary.

Ill keep you guys posted, but i just want advice since ill have 2 male Dogos in my house, both no neutured.
Old June 28th, 2012, 08:22 AM
Senior Contributor

A Dogo is a very large powerful dog and I hear that they (like many other breeds) have a tendency to be same sex aggressive. Personally, I would think long and hard before adding an unaltered dog of the same sex to my household.

If you decide to take this puppy on - remember that people aren't always honest about their reasons for wanting to rehome a dog. Also, be prepared with a plan should aggression between the dogs become an issue at a later date. And please, don't assume that because they get along for a day, week, month or year that they will always do so. I have seen many dogs (in same sex households) that get along for years before one decides that the other shouldn't be allowed to breathe air on this earth.
Old June 28th, 2012, 08:25 AM
Senior Contributor

Does this person's breeder contract not stipulate that the breeder take the dog back? Or the breeder OKs who the dog goes to? If not I suggest you are looking at a BYB dog and should be prepared for health, behavioural and temperament that may not be up to snuff. If it was me I'd be looking into the breeding behind that dog as much as into the dog itself. Not opposed to rescue in the least, just prefer educated and informed rescue.

ETA: Missed the two males, unaltered part. Think hard about the breeding. This is a breed that has been used for fighting and you need to know if it 's been bred for that kind of temperament or not. At 8 months that dog is just coming into puberty. Did you know that in puberty a male dog's testosterone can be 3 to 7 times higher than it will be at maturity? That can be like waving a red flag at other dogs regardless of sex or altered or not, but especially to unaltered also young males. Here is a brief discussion of this phenomenon, at the Puppy License part: http://www.dogstardaily.com/training/dog-communication
Old June 28th, 2012, 08:36 AM
Formerly Bastien

Thanks guys, i want all the advice i can get. I understand that we could be talking about a BYB in this case, i might have to get more info on the "breeder". And for the 2 males part, thats what im the most worried about.
Old June 28th, 2012, 10:44 AM
Senior Contributor

Just curious Bastien why Bully isn't neutered? Were you planning on breeding him or is it an age thing? Why is this other dog not neutered? I know with some of the larger breeds neutering at a later date is recommended, but I would think either/both dogs are old enough to be neutered. I'd be very, very careful of bringing in this dog without the two having a chance to meet prior for one thing. And I seriously would not ever leave them alone together. I'm looking for a new pup at this time, still having a 12 year old female lab in the house, the breeder I am dealing with will only sell me a male dog due to the same sex fighting issues with the breed I am looking at. Be careful Bastien, we'd al hate to see anything happen to either of these dogs. If your friend is looking to rehome her Dogo I'm sure there must be a rescue that could help her. PM BenMax if you need rescue info I'm sure she'd be happy to help. At all costs we must keep Bully safe!
Old June 28th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Formerly Bastien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Dancer View Post
Just curious Bastien why Bully isn't neutered? Were you planning on breeding him or is it an age thing? Why is this other dog not neutered? I know with some of the larger breeds neutering at a later date is recommended, but I would think either/both dogs are old enough to be neutered. I'd be very, very careful of bringing in this dog without the two having a chance to meet prior for one thing. And I seriously would not ever leave them alone together. I'm looking for a new pup at this time, still having a 12 year old female lab in the house, the breeder I am dealing with will only sell me a male dog due to the same sex fighting issues with the breed I am looking at. Be careful Bastien, we'd al hate to see anything happen to either of these dogs. If your friend is looking to rehome her Dogo I'm sure there must be a rescue that could help her. PM BenMax if you need rescue info I'm sure she'd be happy to help. At all costs we must keep Bully safe!
Hey Dog Dancer, I didnt get Bully neutered yet, no breeding planned! Haha, i wanted to wait for him to be around 2year old to do the neutering + the cost is a bit to much for me right now.

As for the other pup not beeing neutered... Good question. I dont see why someone would have two un-neutered dogs in the same house(male and female) if no breeding is involved or planned.

I think that person was thinking of bringing the dog to a rescue but wanted to see if family and friends wer interested first.
Old June 28th, 2012, 02:13 PM

Just how far away is far away? I would really try to make a trip to meet the dog and have the two dogs meet before making the full commitment. You could go there for a day maybe with your dog and have them meet you at a park or some neutral ground with your dog, see how they initially interact, see how you like the dog in person... Heck even get a hotel room for the night and do a trial sleep over there. At 8mo old it's that weird time when they are starting to mature. The two dogs might get along fine now and then in a month want to kill each other. Been there done that, it's no fun and rehoming is the only option at that point. Are you prepared to take that risk that you will end up now being responsible for having to rehome him?

Do find out where they got him from. Dogos are not all that popular yet so you may have some luck tracking the breeder down. There is a chance that it is a BYB as there are some Dogo BYBs already. He might be from a good working breeder who does health test and breeds for temperament who simply doesn't automatically take their dogs back and is fine with the current owner rehoming the dog. If you can track down the breeder you may get more clues as to the dog's lineage and if dog aggression is present in those lines (it is genetic). That could help you make the decision.
Old June 28th, 2012, 02:30 PM
Formerly Bastien

Yeah thanks, im currently working on getting more info from the breeder. But the more i think of it, im starting to lean more on saying NO. I dont think two male dogos together is a good idea and right now i dont really have the room to keep them seperated.
Old June 28th, 2012, 07:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastien View Post
Hey guys... How are you all doing?

So here it is. Ive been offered a FREE Dogo Argentino!

This friend of a friend owns 2 Dogos and she just had a baby, she can no longer take care of two dogs and a baby, so shes getting rid of one of the puppy (male-8months). Up to date on shots, house trained.

Im in big decision right now as if i take him or not. I have until mid July to make my decision.

The problem with this is that the dog is located pretty far away so i wont get to see Bully and him together before making my decision.

I wasent planing on getting another puppy right away but i think im "ready".

What would you do??? lol I know that i need to be prepared to do crate and rotate if necessary.

Ill keep you guys posted, but i just want advice since ill have 2 male Dogos in my house, both no neutured.
I would never have two male dogs that are not neutered in the house at the same time. My dog Marty met a male dog that was not neutered at the
park and both dogs got along great. The owner of the dog invited Marty and I to his house so the dog could play in the in the back yard. While we walking to the guy's house I asked if his dog would mind my dog being in his yard. I was told it would be OK. Wrong , as soon as we entered the yard the dog when after my dog! So if you did have Bully meet the new dog they could get along fine but Bully may not feel the same way once the new dog is in his 'house'.
Old June 29th, 2012, 05:48 AM
Senior Contributor

I agree be careful could be a recipe for disaster. I found before Bud was neutered other dogs were constantly challenging him, luckily he was not a fighter and would walk away. But some dogs would not back off. If you do it they both need to be neutered. I understand the waiting to neuter it is common with large/giant breeds. I am sure you will make an informed decision.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old June 29th, 2012, 07:11 AM
Formerly Bastien

Update

I said NO for the dog, after thinking of it long and hard last night i finally decided to go with whats best for Bully. Thanks guys for all the advices!
Old June 29th, 2012, 08:00 AM
Senior Contributor

I think you made a wise decision. It's hard when it's the same breed as your own. Last year my sister's dog's sister needed placement in a new home. She was not a good prospect for homing with anyone I knew, bit kids, not trained, unsocialized. But it sure tugged at heart strings because of the relationship.
Old June 29th, 2012, 08:29 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastifflover View Post
I agree be careful could be a recipe for disaster. I found before Bud was neutered other dogs were constantly challenging him, luckily he was not a fighter and would walk away. But some dogs would not back off. If you do it they both need to be neutered. I understand the waiting to neuter it is common with large/giant breeds. I am sure you will make an informed decision.
My little Marty did not back off when he was being attacked , I was not sure if he was a fighter or not. He stood his ground and I knew that I better take my dog out of the other dog's yard before they had a fight.