Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 5th, 2011, 10:22 PM
Live well, laugh often

Cat antibiotic question

Hello kitty gurus .

Desi has been prescribed a 14 day course of clavamox as well as 21 days or ursodial. She was diagnosed with some high liver counts in Dec and we did an ultrasound last week. The ultrasound doesn't show anything major other then some mild inflamation. The vet thinks it could be a low grade infection so wants to do the course of the antibiotics. Ursodial is a drug for bile acid that we also used with Lucy when she had liver problems.

Is there anything I should look for with Desi taking the antibiotics? They are in liquid form so I am hoping to bury them in with her raw food dinners. Unfortunately we are going away monday for a week and my mom will be looking after them so I just want to give her some heads up in case Desi goes off.
Old February 5th, 2011, 10:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Definitely give the Clavamox with food. It's not unusual for it to cause nausea and digestive issues when given on an empty stomach (and possibly even when given with food, so be on alert for any signs of inappetance). Not sure if the liquid version has any kind of flavour to it that would be off-putting to a cat, but if it does, maybe ask your vet for the tablets instead, which can be pulverized and easily mixed into food.

Has Desi ever taken SamE or silybin (milk thistle extract) for her liver? Either or both can be quite effective at boosting liver function and helping it heal from various conditions: http://www.nutramaxlabs.com/Vet/Prod...er-health.aspx

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old February 5th, 2011, 10:54 PM
Live well, laugh often

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
Has Desi ever taken SamE or silybin (milk thistle extract) for her liver? Either or both can be quite effective at boosting liver function and helping it heal from various conditions: http://www.nutramaxlabs.com/Vet/Prod...er-health.aspx
Thanks SCM . I think the stuff is honey flavoured but she likes sweet stuff so hopefully it will be okay .

I have not gone that route with her yet as this is fairly new. We used both when we managed Lucy's (dog) liver problems for many years. I also was impressed with some of the homeopathic remedy we used in later years for Lucy so will definately be looking into those for Desi as well. A food loving dog is certainly much easier to medicate/supplement then a fussy cat .
Old February 5th, 2011, 10:56 PM
Live well, laugh often

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
Definitely give the Clavamox with food. It's not unusual for it to cause nausea and digestive issues when given on an empty stomach (and possibly even when given with food, so be on alert for any signs of inappetance). Not sure if the liquid version has any kind of flavour to it that would be off-putting to a cat, but if it does, maybe ask your vet for the tablets instead, which can be pulverized and easily mixed into food.
Of course they asked me which (tablet or liquid) I wanted and I just went with their suggestion .
Old February 6th, 2011, 03:17 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Sorry to hear Desi isn't feeling well, TeriM! Hope she's feeling better soon!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."