Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old October 10th, 2006, 02:57 PM

Red face Vegan dog food...

I think that vegans are very aware of their body chemistry and nutrition, and as such, I think it becomes a dilemma if a person gets a dog and wants to respect the dog's body as much as they do their own, because IMO, that would lead them to a raw diet (as in raw meat). Right?

And I know there are a couple of veggies here who feed raw because they feel that that is the best thing for their dogs.

But what of the vegans who just directly jump to vegan dog food? How can vegan dog food sustain a dog? I mean, sure if the dog has allergies to animal proteins, that's one thing, but with no allergies, IMO, a dog has no biological reason to do well on a vegan diet.

And then you get the same arguments that you do with ol' roy- where the owner "thinks" their dog's coat is shiny and the dog is healthy, when really they just don't know how the dog could really be, given the proper nutrition.

Sure vegan diets are balanced- before going into the dog. If the dog doesn't digest or absorb most of it, that "balance" is out the window.

I just think that a vegan feeding vegan is like a dog eating raw meat and expecting its owner to as well.

Any thoughts?
Old October 10th, 2006, 03:24 PM
Honest Contributor

while some will argue and show "exceptions" (dogs that live a long & healthy life on a meatless diet), one must remember they are just that: exceptions. George Burns was also an exception...

quote from a site i like... it says it all!

Quote:
“I feed my dog a vegetarian diet.”

What are you, nuts? Would you feed a horse an all meat diet? Come on people—dogs are carnivores. Say it with me—car-ni-vores. It’s not a difficult concept to grasp. See the above pics for examples of just the jaw structure that supports that dogs are carnivores, and when the mouth is for a carnivore, the rest of the body follows suit.

Dogs are not omnivores. Pointy teeth unsuitable for grinding plant matter, short digestive system—they are designed to eat meat. It’s time we stop trying to convince ourselves that just because we need vegetables and feel we need grains in our diet that our animal friends need them as well.
humans can do well on a balanced vegan diet, however our little wolves in dog's clothing are designed from nose to tail to eat, digest and thrive on a meaty diet... not grains and seeds. let's leave that to the birds

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old October 10th, 2006, 04:13 PM
Senior Contributor

From experience I tried feeding Halo a vegan diet when her food allergies were out of control. She failed to thrive on it. It was a good quality food, holistic brand. Can't recall the name anymore I ended up chucking it out. Halo threw up every day at 5:00 am when she was on the diet, and had the runs. She ate it no problem, but it just made her sick. Clearly it was not the choice for us. Maybe some extreme allergies need it as Prin said, but wow I won't put my dogs there ever again!
Old October 10th, 2006, 04:14 PM
-

The other thing to remember about vegan diets is that compared to dawgs humans actually need very little protein to sustain themselves ( all you meateaters but it's true...) and as noted are able to digest cellulose whereas dogs derive very little benefit from veg and grain based proteins. I would never consider placing any one of my boobalas on a vegan diet (not to mention I might not survive the mutiny )
Old October 10th, 2006, 09:09 PM
-

I don't think I could ever feed my dogs a vegetarian diet....It just doesn't make sense IMO.
Old October 10th, 2006, 09:33 PM
Honest Contributor

some people like to play mad scientists, i guess

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old October 10th, 2006, 09:36 PM

or some people aren't as open-minded and educated on nutrition as they claim to be.