Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 12th, 2008, 01:15 AM

Kitten treds poo through my home

I had a kitten now for 4 days and he seems to tred in his own poo , sniffs it then treds on it then it covers it up

I would like to know if its normal?

As i found poo all over my expensive new rug which cost me £1000 and all over my bed.

Its really stressing me out , im a clean freak so seeing poo all over my home stressed me out.

I now feel i cant leave the cat on his own because he treds poo all over the place and if i didnt clean his feet after he used it then my home would quickly be full off poo all over the place....im now finding myself rushing to the litter tray everytime i hear him using it

I love him to bits but im now wondering to myself if i can cope with this bad habit of his , and i dont think i can.....so i really need to know if its normal for a kitten and will they grow out of it , is there anything i need to do.
Old July 12th, 2008, 03:41 AM
-

If your kitten is tracking poo from his litter box all around your house then it must be diarrhea that he's stepping in therefore you should take him to the vet asap.

Diarrhea in a kitten is a life threatening situation. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old July 12th, 2008, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
If your kitten is tracking poo from his litter box all around your house then it must be diarrhea that he's stepping in therefore you should take him to the vet asap.

Diarrhea in a kitten is a life threatening situation. Good luck and keep us posted.
thank you for your quickly reply

Yes it is the runs , i did pop into a vets and enquire but they told me leave it for a week because he is just getting use to his new surroundings and is nearvous.

So once his poo is solid do they not tred in the poo why do they only tred in it if its Diarrhea?

He is very alert not showing any signs of being poorly or anything , i think he had the runs cause he took something of my plate very fast i didnt have time to get it off him and he eat it....he is always trying to take food of my plate non stop , if i put him in another room he screams the place down so i have to let him follow me everywhere or he gets upset

A the moment he is just playing , should i feed him some cooked chicken instead of dry food for a few days would this help at all.

Last edited by JakeUKlad; July 12th, 2008 at 04:09 AM.
Old July 12th, 2008, 06:56 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeUKlad View Post
A the moment he is just playing , should i feed him some cooked chicken instead of dry food for a few days would this help at all.

You should feed him some cooked chicken or canned kitten food ALL the time instead of the dry. Kibble is not the best thing to feed your kitten. Cats need meat. Take a look at the first ingredients in kibble. Corn, most likely. A good quality kitten food, transitioning to cat food as he gets older, will be much healthier for him. Cats don't always drink enough water. The canned food helps make up the water intake they should have. Make sure he always has lots of fresh water to drink. Not milk.

There is tons of information in the food sections of this forum. Look in particular for info from sugarcatmom and growler. They are a couple of the best food gurus on here.

For the diarrhea you could try adding some plain, not the pie filling, pumpkin to his food. For a small kitten about 1/2 tsp a couple of times a day. Or plain yogurt. They will help firm up the stool.

They also make mats just for litter boxes. You put it on the floor in front of the box and it helps take the "stuff" off of his feet. Please don't give up on him too fast. He is still adjusting. He will give you years and years of unconditional love if looked after well now.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!

Last edited by 14+kitties; July 13th, 2008 at 08:34 AM.
Old July 12th, 2008, 07:14 AM
Senior Contributor

Jake,ditto what 14+writes!
Also,the kitten is not doing this on purpose,it's not a habit,more accidental,after all he is a baby.
I would definitely change his food,it's obviously not doing him any good,get some good quality canned kitten-food.
Please don't think of giving up on him,runny poop is a problem,but one usually easily corrected,with the right food.
Oh and welcome to our Forum!!
Old July 12th, 2008, 07:22 AM

I have him on Orijen , i take it thats not good enough ;(

So what food would you recomend for tin food?

So should i stop his dry food altogether and just put him on tinned food , i honestly thought i was giving him good food when i brought the above as was told it was the best

So if i go buy some tin food now just mix in some plain yougurt any one in mind or will any do?

No i want get rid of him , as i know its not his fault , i said it in heat of moment as i was a bit stressed out about it , im ok now ......i didnt shout at him or anything as i know he cant help it , i was just worried if it was a bad habbit he had by stepping in to his poo.

Btw thanks for your advice its really useful
Old July 12th, 2008, 07:39 AM
Doggie Wench

Welcome to pets.ca JakeUKlad .

Has your kitten been de-wormed? Intestinal parasites are common in kittens and puppies and are also a cause of diarrhea. If you're not sure, you can take in a stool sample to the vet so it can be analyzed. Paraciticides are administered, often 10 days apart (depending on the type of meds), for 2-3 treatments.

Orijen is a great food (in my experience, with dogs). However, as the other members have stated, good quality wet food is much more appropriate for cats. What varieties are available where you live?
Old July 12th, 2008, 07:40 AM
Kitty pimp

well ness kitten is a good wet food you can mix some yogurt into it or feed him yogurt seperatly thanks for not giving up on him
Old July 12th, 2008, 07:47 AM
Senior Contributor

Jake,Orijen is considered good food,rich in protein.
However canned food is always better for a cat,mine are currently on Wellness canned,they also make kitten-food,but there are several choices out there.
I am pretty sure a kitten would eat yougurt mixed in the food,or even lick it off a spoon.
I assume he's been checked for worms already..also it's very important he is not becoming dehydrated,which could be very serious.
Good luck with the little guy,pics would be nice,LOVE kittenpics.
Old July 12th, 2008, 08:01 AM

I got a big bag cost me £31 , wouldnt of got it if i had known wet food was best .........i dont think they have wellness when i live so i will try and ask around to see whats best as i didnt look into wet food to be honest.

Its hard to know whats best food to give a cat when there is so much out there....but i am trying my best to give him good quailty food.

Thank u for all the advice.
Old July 12th, 2008, 09:01 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

You can supplement with dry food. That is leave it down for him to nibble on throughout the day. It is just that the best option for cats is wet or even raw. After all, in their "natural" habitat they would be eating whatever they catch.

Foods that are available in the UK for cats -

Tesco Luxury - fairly new from the sounds of it but is 50% meat.
Nature's Harvest - (just chicken, salmon oil, cranberry, taurine plus vitamins and minerals - available at pets at home)
Nature's Menu
Hi Life
Applaws
Almo Nature
Brands from zooplus - Bozita, Animonda and Cosma from there.

What you are looking for are natural ingredients. Not by products of anything. Hope this is helpful.

* I should add - by natural ingredients I mean meat, not meat by products. Something with few grains/corn.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!

Last edited by 14+kitties; July 12th, 2008 at 11:27 AM. Reason: missed adding info
Old July 12th, 2008, 12:21 PM
-

Quote:

Yes it is the runs , i did pop into a vets and enquire but they told me leave it for a week because he is just getting use to his new surroundings and is nearvous.
Did you actually take your kitten into the vet or did you just "pop in" by yourself?
Old July 15th, 2008, 10:43 AM

Ok just to let everyone know he no longer has diarrhea thanks for everyones help it seems to have gone really solid as he was really straining earlier

He still steps all over his solid poos though trying to cover it up , he gets it all in his toes , claws.

Its now come to a point that im really stressed about it , any advice please , do i really need to keep cleaning him down everytime he has a poo?
Old July 15th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

How old is your kitten, remember he is a baby. It sounds like he steps in it when he is using the litterbox and it may take some time for the sweetie to learn.

Orijen is a very good food, its Canadian, eh .

The problem with feeding kibble is that cats don't have a high thirst drive and should get the majority from food (normally it would be blood from prey). Wellness Kitten canned is an excellent food, not sure if you can get it in the UK. Keep the Orijen and mix it with canned (1/3 orijen 2/3 canned) so you don't waste it, I know it is expensive. Check the ingredients, you are looking for grain free, first few ingredients listed to be actual meat, not by products, and human grade meat is best.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 15th, 2008, 11:01 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Ok just to let everyone know he no longer has diarrhea thanks for everyones help it seems to have gone really solid as he was really straining earlier

He still steps all over his solid poos though trying to cover it up , he gets it all in his toes , claws.

Its now come to a point that im really stressed about it , any advice please , do i really need to keep cleaning him down everytime he has a poo?
He is a baby, just like changing diapers for human babies. He will grow out of it. How about putting an old towel down infront of his litter box so he can "clean" his paws?

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 15th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Senior Contributor

Also, how big is the litter box? I find the majority of boxes you find in stores are way too small. He may be having some problems maneuvering around in there, so perhaps a bigger litter box would help. You can get those storage bins that go under the bed, those are nice 'n big.

As for the diarrhea/constipation issue, slippery elm bark powder can help with both issues. Just mix an 1/8th to 1/4 of a tsp in with some canned food (add a bit of extra water as well). Here's some more info on that: http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.ph...em=slipperyelm

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old July 15th, 2008, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
Also, how big is the litter box? I find the majority of boxes you find in stores are way too small. He may be having some problems maneuvering around in there, so perhaps a bigger litter box would help. You can get those storage bins that go under the bed, those are nice 'n big.

As for the diarrhea/constipation issue, slippery elm bark powder can help with both issues. Just mix an 1/8th to 1/4 of a tsp in with some canned food (add a bit of extra water as well). Here's some more info on that: http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.ph...em=slipperyelm
Yep i was thinking about maybe litter tray is small , i got a corner one cost me £20 but when i took the hood of it , it seems quite small , so maybe ill invest in another bigger one.

I wipe his bum with baby wipes is this ok to do? he does not lick his own bum so needs a little helping hand as he sometimes caked with poo

Ive grown quite fond of him , so the poo issue is kinda of back of my mind even though it was major for me at first

Last edited by JakeUKlad; July 15th, 2008 at 02:08 PM.
Old July 15th, 2008, 02:10 PM
-

I'm glad your kitten no longer has diarrhea. We would love to see pictures of him if you could post some please.
Old July 15th, 2008, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
I'm glad your kitten no longer has diarrhea. We would love to see pictures of him if you could post some please.

Yep will try to , got my cam out yesterday but i can tget it working , only had it a month as well .....it takes pics but you cant see anything
Old July 15th, 2008, 02:23 PM
-

Well keep trying or do as I do and use one of those cheap disposable ones.
Old July 15th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Jake,I was also thinking,how much litter do you have in the box,it should be at least 10cm high,lots of litter for him to hide his poop.
I am glad,at least he does not have runny poop anymore.
Old July 16th, 2008, 03:31 AM

I put 5 litre bag in the litter tray

The litter tray is 56 cm x 38 cm x 38 cm, 40 cm tall

Is this to small , should i get a bigger one.

At the moment im lifting him out of his tray once he has a poo before he has chance to cover it.

He poo now seems to have gone slighty wet again , keeps changing off and on