Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old June 25th, 2006, 02:45 PM
Kitty Consort

Summit Cat Food

I"ve been using the Go Natural dry food... yesterday decided to try the Summit line.. made by same company, but more economical.
I found a couple of past posts mentioning stinky litter boxes and Summit Food.
Dont want that..but am not clear on why this would be.. :
Havent opened it yet, now I am wondering if I should return it.
Anyone have experience with this product?
Old June 25th, 2006, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Meat and rice formula
Chicken Meal, Ground Rice, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols {Vit. E}, citric acid {Vit. C} and rosemary extract), Chicken Meat, Canola Oil, Rice Gluten Meal, Salmon Meal, Rice Bran, Natural Chicken Flavor, Flax, Dried Whole Egg, Phosphoric Acid, Potassium Chloride, Yeast Culture, Choline Chloride, Lysine, Potassium Sorbate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Yucca Schidigera, Cranberries, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol), DL Alpha-Tocopherol Acetate (vitamin E) Ferrous Sulfate, Taurine, Zinc Oxide, *Zinc Proteinate, Niacin, Copper Sulfate, *Copper Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, *Manganese Proteinate, Calcium Pantothenate, Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of vitamin K), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin B12, Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by three meat protein formula
Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Oatmeal, Barley, Corn Gluten Meal, Soybean Meal, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols {Vit. E}, citric acid {Vit. C} and rosemary extract), Chicken Digest, Salmon Meal, Flax, Phosphoric Acid, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Vitamin A Acetate, Cholicalciferol (vitamin D3), DL Alpha-Tocopherol Acetate (vitamin E), Ascorbic Acid (vitamin C), Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Niacin, Calcium
Pantothenate, Ribof lavin, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Oxide, Sodium Selenite, Thiamine Mononitrate, Biotin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin B12, Menadione Sodium Bisulfate Complex (source of vitamin K), Folic Acid, Cobalt Carbonate, Calcium Iodate.
Hmm.. Nothing too bad in the first one other than the menadione (in bold) and the break down of rice (there's more rice in there than anything else), but the second one has corn gluten and soybean meal, two ingredients that are really not too great and the menadione, too.

According to this, from May 19th, within 6 months, pet curean (the head company) should be removing the menadione sodium bisulfate complex from its foods. I'd wait till then to switch. http://forums.dogfoodproject.com/sho...ge=0#Post33082

Last edited by Prin; June 25th, 2006 at 04:17 PM.
Old June 25th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Kitty Consort

Thanks, Prin! I was trying to locate an ingredients listing to copy.

It's the first one I bought, the chicken and rice - because of the no-corn content. A lot of rice though, you're right.

I'm not entirely satisfied with this...might be ok to use as a mix with the Go Natural.. which has a considerably higher meat inclusion.

Menadione Sodium Bisulfate Complex (source of vitamin K), Could you tell me the concern with this? ( should know, I know.. )
Old June 25th, 2006, 04:44 PM

We weren't sure either at first, but the "dog food project" said to avoid it like the plague, so we all set out to find out why (dog food project didn't have any references).

Here's the thread where a few of us were working on it... http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....ight=menadione
Old June 25th, 2006, 08:46 PM
Senior Contributor

FDA info on Menadione Sodium Bisulfate Complex, it looks like all companies using will have to make changes as it has been banned for all but poultry feed

http://www.fda.gov/cvm/FOI/VKAS_EA.pdf
Old June 25th, 2006, 09:10 PM

What year is that from? It doesn't site anything after 1990...