Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 15th, 2009, 05:16 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

The kitten is strong, but very tiny. The other one is quiet as a mouse, eats and sleeps, I think he even eats while he is sleeping .

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 15th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Rottie owner and lover

I did not transport, all thanks goes to Hymmies
I was just very lucky to meet her and mommy and kittens
Old March 15th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Senior Contributor

L4H,sorry I am a little slow and confused
Do you now have the 2 little black kittens with the young mother???
That would be great,since cpietra certainly has her hands full,not that she would not do all she could for those babies.
Old March 15th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I have momma and the babies.

The runt really needs some good vibes. I just weighed them he only weighs 96 grams :sad:. His sibling weighs a whooping 200.

cpietra, did the vet discuss making the forumula a bit thicker for a bit extra calories? Did he give an thoughts on his chances of survival?

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 15th, 2009, 10:59 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post

The runt really needs some good vibes. I just weighed them he only weighs 96 grams :sad:. His sibling weighs a whooping 200.
for the little one :sad: sometimes the runt of a litter just turns around and becomes the biggest

don't forget , you have to speak to them in french hey !
Old March 15th, 2009, 11:03 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Frenchy is right L4H. Remember how tiny TT was? I could hold him easily in the palm of my hand when I first got to pick him up. He was soooo tiny. He is doing great now. Not huge but he did catch up! Let's hope this little one with your help and love will too.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old March 15th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Senior Contributor

i hope the shelter agrees L4H

for the litte one. Im sure once he's able to eat solid food he'll catch up in no time with your raw feeding

"No, Bunduk, Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!"
Old March 15th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi L4H, Everyone, just to let you know that the mommy and babies are indeed with L4H and in good hands. As for the runt, as long as he keeps putting on weight and keeps drinking he'll be fine. My faith is strong. he is a fighter and very stubborn. My vet did not mention thickening the milk...He just said to do it more often if baby never seems to latch properly. I noticed the baby trying so hard to latch but doesn;t seem to know or have the strength to latch. He will eventually...I am certain of that....thanks again for your help...Angel is back to hiding int he crate in her litter but I hope to have her out soon....
Old March 15th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

He is a fighter for sure, he is climbing out of the basket . I have a neighbour coming in twice a day to feed him while I am at work. He keeps looking for a nipple, but doesn't seem to know when or where to latch on. He pooped and peed all over my hand and I got it all over momma this morning .

I swear the other sibling is growing before my eyes . I have not heard a peep out of him.

Momma growled at me today and for the first time ran from under the bed into the basket with her kittens. It may have been because Jasper was outside the door.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old March 15th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
for the little one :sad: sometimes the runt of a litter just turns around and becomes the biggest

don't forget , you have to speak to them in french hey !
That's what the problem is.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old March 15th, 2009, 03:20 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Yep, guess it was the lack of French!

for the wee little one! Hope he starts hefting up soon. So Momma hasn't succumbed to Uncle Jasper's charms yet, eh? Soon. Soon. He's such a good babysitter.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 15th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Senior Contributor

L4H,Iunder your loving care the runt will be ok
Poor Jasper wants to visit with his foster-babies
Old March 15th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
L4H,Iunder your loving care the runt will be ok
Poor Jasper wants to visit with his foster-babies
Momma won't let me near the babies now :sad:. DH had to remove the whole box so I could feed the tiny one.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old March 15th, 2009, 04:50 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

You are in for a challenge with this group L4H. I hope the neighbour will be able to get to the baby tomorrow to feed him. Momma may not like yet another stranger coming near. for you and her and the little one.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old March 15th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
You are in for a challenge with this group L4H. I hope the neighbour will be able to get to the baby tomorrow to feed him. Momma may not like yet another stranger coming near. for you and her and the little one.
Now I am worried about that too. I have a call into cpietra, I hope she calls back soon. I knew momma didn't like me near the babies but I was feeding them while she was nursing them, my hand was within inches of her face. She let me pat her. I don't know what happened.

The tiny one has to settle down, he is burning too much energy

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old March 15th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I just don't understand, I was able to lift momma's arm to help the baby find a nipple, I was able to do anything and she just lied there.:sad:

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old March 15th, 2009, 05:06 PM
150% PRO S/N

Had you been holding Puddles or SweetPea or Jasper before going in? Did you wash your hands really really well after the baby peed on you? She could be reacting to a smell. Not sure. Maybe Jasper is just too close for comfort for her. She will know there are other cats in the house. It may be upsetting her.
Have you got any Feliway or Rescue Remedy or anything to try to calm her? It's strange baby is on the go all the time. Sounds like he is a real fighter.

Old March 15th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I am thinking Jasper too, he lies just outside her door while I am in there. I wash my hands before going into the room.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old March 15th, 2009, 05:11 PM
150% PRO S/N

Yeah, you might have to move Uncle Jasper till momma gets used to being there. Can you spend some time in there just talking to her? See if that helps. Maybe have the neighbour come over tonight to see if she can get close? It may make it easier for her tomorrow.

Old March 15th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I had the neighbour in this afternoon, it has been since then that she started growling. It also was the first time I tried to feed the baby without momma keeping being in the basket keeping a close eye on things.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old March 15th, 2009, 05:48 PM
150% PRO S/N

She may think you are trying to harm the baby. It will take her some time and lots of patience to get over it. Showing her the baby constantly while you are feeding him, telling her you aren't going to hurt him... I know it sounds silly but it seems to work.
I hope the neighbour isn't scared. Mom will pick up on that for sure. Guess you can't take time off work right now either to stay at home with them. It's your busy time, right?

Old March 15th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
She may think you are trying to harm the baby. It will take her some time and lots of patience to get over it. Showing her the baby constantly while you are feeding him, telling her you aren't going to hurt him... I know it sounds silly but it seems to work.
I hope the neighbour isn't scared. Mom will pick up on that for sure. Guess you can't take time off work right now either to stay at home with them. It's your busy time, right?
Yes, March is my busiest time, budgets need to be done by the end of the month.

My last boss would let me take a 2 hour lunch to go home and feed any sick kittens that wouldn't eat on their own, but not my new one, she is by the book.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old March 15th, 2009, 05:56 PM
150% PRO S/N

That's too bad. Maybe you can sneak the baby to work in your pocket? I know, I know. But it's a good idea!!!! Really!!

Old March 15th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
That's too bad. Maybe you can sneak the baby to work in your pocket? I know, I know. But it's a good idea!!!! Really!!
I thought about it. Man I wish I had my old boss back :sad:

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old March 15th, 2009, 06:03 PM
150% PRO S/N

Gotta boogie. I hope you have better luck with the momma next feeding. It would make life much more relaxed!!

Old March 15th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Gotta boogie. I hope you have better luck with the momma next feeding. It would make life much more relaxed!!
Yes, the feedings were very relaxed until this afternoon. Momma got some kitten formula, baby got some formula, momma would clean baby's mouth I would give baby some more, momma would even be licking baby's mouth while I was feeding him.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old March 15th, 2009, 07:09 PM
-

I just got caught up in this thread now.

L4H, how sweet of you to take in momma and her babies to help cpietra out.

Sending lots of good wishes for the little guy to catch up with his siblings.
Old March 15th, 2009, 08:43 PM
-

Oh crap I'm so sorry things aren't going smoothly :sad:

that you can get some help
Old March 15th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Just had a long chat with cpietra and she set my mind at ease. This is nothing new for momma, but will not bite.

Momma still loves me and gave me kisses about 2 seconds after a hiss She just wants me to know that she is watching me. Tiny took 4 mls and settled right down after a good face washing by momma.

cpietra, I am still not sure about the burping. He is so wiggly I am not sure if I get a burp out of him.

He isn't dehydrated so I think he must be getting enough fluids.

The crew will be going for a vet check later this week. The humane society wants her to settle in before we stress her again.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old March 15th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Senior Contributor

I hope you feel better since our talk...this mom is way more comfortable with other cats than other people. When she had sight of other cats around she completely relaxed and calmed down, even with the babies.
Until I really knew shw was pregnant, she gave birth right in the middle of the living room in an exposed dog crate , with other cats and Winnie the dog just looking in and she seemed fine and comfortable. She was nervous with me however ,until she realised that the other cats were ok with me....you are doing great..I thank you so much...so much.....the baby is a fighter..
I thought he was ADHD the first day because he was crawling all over the place including over the basket....now how many hour long babies do you know that crawl all over...