Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old March 23rd, 2008, 02:41 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Wink For those of us craving colour - a teaser

My geranium table and my two little buddies I started from my own seed.
Attached Images

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old March 23rd, 2008, 02:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Wow, how pretty they are. How did you get them to grow from seed? I tried this spring with a couple of different plants and they got mold and crashed..thanks for the hint of Spring. pbp
Old March 23rd, 2008, 03:03 PM
Garden nut

Nice!! Very pretty. Wish I could see more pictures though, and bigger ones! lol

What all do you grow and sell? Have a website? Or just sell to locals?

I can't grow any Lillium from seed either. So I just concentrate on cloning via bulb scales. Those are a nice red/orange almost salmon color. Do you have any Lillium canadense?

I can cold stratify iris and get them to germinate no problem. But lily seeds are just too darn hard. Either that or any seed I've tried has been a dud.

I have a plastic window box full of baby mesclun lettuce growing. yum! But not quite ready to start eating yet.
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper
Old March 23rd, 2008, 03:46 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

A little closer pic and bigger (I hope). At this moment everything else is still seedling stage.

The lillium I just left until the seed pods were absolutely dried out. Totally ignored them (watched pot doesn't boil theory). I only let one plant go to seed. I will have to do more this year. It takes 2 years to get them to this point though. First year you get green but not much more unless you are extremely lucky. No lillium canadense.
No web site. I just sell locally. If I had more greenhouses I could sell elsewhere but the idea of me doing this was so I could stay home and be my own boss. I have about 2500 square feet which is a lot for one person to manage but not enough to grow tons of stuff.
I do perennials, the normal annuals, usually one or two unusual plants, and tomatoes and peppers. It keeps me hopping.
Patti - there is a product called Damp Off which helps with that. Also don't overwater. Seedlings really do not need a lot of water. I usually just mist a couple of times a day when they are tiny. Damp Off is toxic though. I use a mask when I mix it.
Attached Images

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!