Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old July 13th, 2005, 03:37 PM
I luv my Basenji!

Dog walks and poops at the same time

Yes, I've never seen any other dogs do this except for mine.
How do I get him to stay put in one spot? He walks and sniffs while hunched over pooping. Its like a walk and poo sortof thing? Instead of piles of poop in my yard, there are little bits everywhere! Its aggravating cleaning it up like that. I tried holding him in place, but he hates it and will stop pooping if I try. He's done this ever since he was a baby. (7mts now) I guess his parents didn't do it right either? Anyway, any suggestions on how to get him to stay put?
Old July 13th, 2005, 04:11 PM
Helicopter Champion

Two of my three will do this -- one most of the time. We refer to it as the Egg Hunt as we have to wander around to ensure we pick it all up.
Old July 13th, 2005, 05:09 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

I don't actually think you can correct this? Lots of dogs do it.
Old July 13th, 2005, 05:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Look on the bright side, he's trying not to step in it!!! Easier paw clean up!!
Old July 13th, 2005, 11:31 PM

hee hee hee. I always laugh at the people who follow their doggy around with a bag, half hunched over. It's so funny. I don't think you can fix it. Maybe it's a result of underdeveloped "pushing" muscles? Maybe they walk to give them the added oomph?
Old July 14th, 2005, 04:52 AM

Poops coming out in little bits is a sign of constipation. Maybe you should add some fiber to his diet?
Old July 14th, 2005, 08:53 AM

When my dog does this it was usually because he ate something he shouldn't have...I usually thought it was a bad thing.

And not to interrupt your thread, but I just have to comment on people saying it was funny when people follow their dogs around hunched over...that reminded me of something rather funny I saw a little while ago...someone was hunched over holding a bag under their dog, while it was pooping - so that it was pooping into the bag...hahaha..lazy man's way!!
Old July 14th, 2005, 08:58 AM
Helicopter Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by levimh
When my dog does this it was usually because he ate something he shouldn't have...I usually thought it was a bad thing.

And not to interrupt your thread, but I just have to comment on people saying it was funny when people follow their dogs around hunched over...that reminded me of something rather funny I saw a little while ago...someone was hunched over holding a bag under their dog, while it was pooping - so that it was pooping into the bag...hahaha..lazy man's way!!

ha ha .. I actually saw a scooping device that was intended to be held underneath to collect as it dropped -- kind of like an apple picker.

Lucy moves forward as a way to maintain her balance. She tends to arch up so high that she gets on the front part of her back paws, but also keeps her front legs tucked in tight to her chest. Makes for a wobbly platform.
Old July 14th, 2005, 09:13 AM
owned by Tucker

Tucker does it all the time, never stands still. He has even pooped while walking down a sidewalk, didn't even hunch over, just s--t on the fly as I call it. I have heard of sledding dogs doing this as they can't stop to have a poop when working. I wouldn't want to be in the sled behind with my mouth open when they decide to do it. Flying poop. Yuck. lol
Old July 14th, 2005, 08:04 PM
<-----nut ball

I thought dogs were supposed to do this! Every dog I have known has always done this. My dog stops, poops a little, then starts walking so maybe 50% of it is not in the pile.
Old July 14th, 2005, 08:16 PM
Owned by goldens

walk and poop

My golden Belle that passed away in October was a "walk and poop" dog. It drove me nuts cleaning up after her. My other two poop in a pile. Much nicer to pick up.
Old October 7th, 2014, 08:17 AM

I hear you in the frustration department... my 11 month old puppy does the same! It is so aggravating and disgusting when trying to clean it up! He did stop doing it for awhile, as I told him to "stay" as he was pooping and he did stop for several weeks but then recently started it back up. Your puppy is only 7 months so he may stop as he matures too. I am now back to telling my pup to "stay" and I do believe you can train them too. You can train dogs to do a whole lot so if this is a problem for you then try telling him to "stay". Like anything, consistancy is key. Good luck!

***OOPS! I just realized this is an old thread.
Old October 7th, 2014, 09:55 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogastrophe View Post
Two of my three will do this -- one most of the time. We refer to it as the Egg Hunt as we have to wander around to ensure we pick it all up.
LOL! I call it a treasure hunt! My dog Marty does this all the time , I will have to bend down to pick his poop 2 to 3 times. I think he marking his territory that same way he does when he pees . It is a pain in the butt especially when the weather is bad.
Is your dog drinking enough water ?
Old April 14th, 2015, 04:28 AM

You dog could be having problems controlling its bowels, maybe you could take it to the vet to be checked for parasites. Also try keeping your dog in an enclosed area and monitor its behavior.