Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old April 24th, 2007, 03:18 AM

what is wrong with people?

On April 15th most of you know I lost my baby Sarge. Well I have had a couple of run ins with some of my so called friends, when I told them that I feel like he is still here sometimes, they actually had the nerve to tell me that dogs don't have souls. What is wrong with them? I just wonder if they have ever looked into the eyes of an animal. They also wanted to argue with me saying animals dont feel pain. People make me sick, that is why I love my dogs.
Old April 24th, 2007, 06:56 AM
Hunter & Bogart's daddy

First off, I'm sorry for your loss :sad: may Sarge

Now...WTF!? Animals don't feel pain!? What kind of uneducated comment is that!? I mean...every living thing feels pain! I'm sure if tomatoes had a mouth they'd scream when you slice it (ok so that was a bit overboard). But similar to that "just a cat/dog/whatever" mentality, some people just... argh!! I guess they've never been fortunate enough to have felt the unconditional love pets give.
Old April 24th, 2007, 07:09 AM
Senior Contributor

Amsmom,don't pay any attention to such ignorance,you loved your Sarge and the very tragic circumstances of his death,must have been heartbreaking.:sad:
I've learned over the years,to ignore and not discuss my love of animals,with people who don't understand what I am talking about.
They don't understand and it is their loss in life!
Old April 24th, 2007, 07:39 AM

Thanks

Thank you both so much. That is why I am so glad I found this place just when I needed it most. It seemed like there were too many people who didn't understand or looked at me like I was crazy for crying day in and day out over a "dog." I got so tired of people asking questions about his worth, and saying little comments, I thank God that I found this place, with people who truely understand, I do not feel so alone now. You all are A true Godsend.
Old April 24th, 2007, 08:03 AM
Senior Contributor

Some people are just cold and unfeeling. I am sorry for your loss and I understand crying over your pet for days. I lost Boo over 3 years ago and every once in a while I find myself thinking of him and tearing up. It is because we care deeply about those human and animal that touch our lives.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old April 24th, 2007, 08:08 AM

Thank You Mastifflover.....I see they got you too huh? Once seeing one I was intrigued, once meeting one I was infatuated, after living with them, I am in love. They are the greatest. So off topic I am sorry.
Old April 24th, 2007, 08:26 AM
Senior Contributor

I feel sorry for people who say things like that because you know they were never good enough for a dog or cat to give them that unconditional love.....these people are just worthy of the love an animal can truly give.
Old April 24th, 2007, 09:05 AM
Young at Heart

Oh boy, oh boy - does that lack of consciousness make me want to get up and rant! All living beings have souls - we all feel, love, hurt - whatever! Unfortunately, with people like those who don't accept animals as real, they are the ones that lose so my only recourse to people like that is to realize that they aren't able to experience the joy of living!

I am so sorry for your loss of Sarge - and yes, his spirit, his energy, whatever you want to call it, is with you and always will be!
Old April 24th, 2007, 09:41 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

I am so sorry for your loss and I understand your pain.
All the members on this board understand your grief because we are pet lovers.

Personally, I wouldn't share my grief with people that I know aren't animals lovers (and I DEFINITELY include extended family members in that statement). They just don't or can't understand that for us, our pets are Family and when our family members pass we grieve.

Sarge
Deep condolences again amsmom2njkz
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old April 24th, 2007, 10:24 AM
Remembering Lukka

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsmom2njkz View Post
animals dont feel pain.
So sorry about your Sarge
I don't understand how anybody could not believe that animals feel pain. Both emotional and physical pain.
When Koko (gorilla who speaks sign language) lost her kitten she expressed how sad it made her and she signed to her keepers that her heart was sad. When her long time gorilla companion Michael passed away Koko cried mournful sobs that the Gorilla Foundation workers had never heard before. She knows pain.
She also asked to have a tooth removed when the pain of it was too much for her to take. She rated the pain level on a scale of one to ten, once it surpassed 6 she didn't want to have the pain any longer.
All living things feel pain, they just don't have the ability to communicate it to us, or maybe we just don't know how to interpret their signals.
Old April 27th, 2007, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsmom2njkz View Post
On April 15th most of you know I lost my baby Sarge. Well I have had a couple of run ins with some of my so called friends, when I told them that I feel like he is still here sometimes, they actually had the nerve to tell me that dogs don't have souls. What is wrong with them? I just wonder if they have ever looked into the eyes of an animal. They also wanted to argue with me saying animals dont feel pain. People make me sick, that is why I love my dogs.
OMG I cannot tell you how sorry I am about Sarge, and frankly people that don't think that pet's in general, not just dog's cat's etc. have souls make me want to scream. My 8 year old Rottie dog, was almost killed at a kennel in march, she came home having seizures and the people at the kennel, just said, "Oh well, she can't be in pain, just let her be"....I literally lost my mind (again) and this was a kennel with a vet hospital, so I wrote a letter to the kennel/vet hospital, and editor of my local paper and explained the situation and what these so called "animal people" said to me...I am still waiting for the explosion when all the true animal lover's come forward. So I can completely relate to the frustration. Frankly I think that alot of the time animal's are way more spiritual than people are, they are certainly more well behaved and compassionate.

My thought's and prayer's are with you at this horrible time in your life, I'm sure that Sarge comes around you often to let you know that he loves you and is still "here" for you. I could swear that sometimes my 2 cat's come back and lay on the exact spot they used to on my bed, it's like I feel a pressure on the bed kind of holding the cover's down around me like they used to...call me crazy...it's cool, you wouldn't be the first, but it's nice to know that the connection that we have with our animal's trancend's their physical death too.

puss
For my babies, Trouble (little black panther cat-stray) Ty-D-Bowl (my huge grey & white fluffy part cat part raccoon - sure eat's like one anyway-stray) and the newest addition to our furry family, Bear 10 week old black Labradoodle puppy....and of course,

R.I.P. my baby Rottie dog, Sierra (Stinker) 97-07.
Old April 27th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Senior Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss!!! Please ignore idiots and rude people who do not understand that people who are close to animals suffer just as much grief as anyone who looses a loved one!! You need to recognize the signs of grieving and give yourself time to heal!!!! Take it easy and do not let those people get to you. It is not easy - I know, I have been there and I still can't bear to go thru some greeting card sections (they have a section in one of the grocery stores I go to for sorry for the loss of ytur cat/dog.etc and I just cannot look there!! I start to swell in tears!

Take care!!!!!! You will never forget your dog and try to think of the good times you both shared!
Old April 27th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Boss-lady!

I'm sorry for both your loss and the insensitive people that would tell you animals don't feel pain. I'm utterly floored that anyone could possibly think that.

I, too, am one of those people for whom pets are family. I still grieve for pets that have passed on and I will always miss them. My husband can always tell when I'm reading the threads on here that deal with animals dying because I cry while I read them.

for you-take all the time you need to mourn for Sarge. I'm glad you found this site when you needed it. We all understand here.

"You can't have a good day in bad underwear"- Fruit of the Loom ad
Old April 27th, 2007, 08:04 PM

Sarge. :sad:

People like that do suck, but even animal lovers are like that too... When I lost my second rat, I was devastated. I loved him so much and he was my best buddy. Even my dog people said "It's just a rat".:sad:

So while I think a lot of us have encountered this for lost dogs and cats and we can sympathize with each other, I think as a whole, we have to remember that when somebody loses something, regardless of what species it is, or even if it's a thing, if they are upset, they need comfort. It's not up to other people to decide how heartbroken and hurt we are or should be.
Old April 28th, 2007, 01:09 AM
Beagle Rescue / CDT

I too had my own father tell me that as a child and when Capone died I went searching for my own answers. Let these people know that animals do have souls and their ignorance is hurting you further.

Romans 8:19(KJV)
The lesser creatures await Christ's return to redeem the sons of God so they, too, will be released from physical death to eternal life.

Psalm 145:-9-10,13,15-21 AMP
Though all creatures are subject to man's cruelty, God loves all His creation and has made plans for all His children and the lesser creatures to enjoy His eternal Kingdom.

Genesis : 9, 13-17
The same fate awaits man and animals alike.

So sorry for your loss.
Old April 28th, 2007, 09:01 AM

The idea that a loving God would accept humans into Heaven but not pets who have loved just as much as humans (and generally acted a lot better) is preposterous. Anything that loves has a soul, IMO. God is love, and all that.

I'm sorry for your loss. Ignore those ignorant people. *hugs*
Old April 28th, 2007, 10:20 AM

I am sorry for your loss.

I would ignore all such remarks. Besides being rude and unfeeling at a personnel loss; friends cannot dictate to you how to react or deal with a loss of a pet. I can only say we are pet lovers here. We know how you feel and support you. Those morons who say these things dont know what it is to see melting eyes, perky smiles, delighted romps, snuggle-huggy-buggy moments, and the joy our pals share with us. I always feel sorry for them. We have had a part in our lives- a pet that loves us unconditionally always. I still talk to my Bambie and Mischief and am glad for them. So you grieve and deal with it your own.
Old April 28th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Helicopter Champion

So sorry to hear about your loss of Sarge.

IMO, one of the true signs of a pet lover is when they truely grieve the loss of thier furry/feathery/scaley pals. We lost our buddy Monty just over 6 months ago and still miss him everyday (still have a hairy tumbleweed floating between the fridge and cabinets that I've yet to bring myself to vacuum up). There are certain things that our other pups do which I'm sure they learned from him (like Lucy headbutting our legs for fun, which she never did while Monty was alive, but he did all the time).

People who don't think that animals feel paint have obviously never accidently stepped on a dogs paw or a cats tail. The difference is animals don't whine and cry about their pain they way people do.

Gracie - 7 yr old tuxedo kitty

Monty - RIP buddy
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either." - Unknown
"If cats could talk they would lie to you"
Old April 28th, 2007, 01:28 PM

I am so sorry for your loss.

I don't understand how people can think that animals don't feel pain and don't have souls. Obviously they have never truly loved an animal.

For a while after my cat was gone, I would feel his presence. I am sure sarge knows how much you love and miss him.
Old May 7th, 2007, 11:26 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm sorry for your loss. Losing such a wonderful friend is so very difficult. What's worse is having people basically tell you your an idiot for mourning that loss is just as bad.

Many people feel that animals really don't have any feelings whatsoever. And since they feel like that, mourning the loss of one is dumb.

When I was in high school I had a kitty named Polo. I lived him to death. After about 6 months my mother's illness was getting worse and we had to put him outside because my mom's immune system was weak, and any allergy she might develop would have been bad for her. After Polo was outside for several weeks, I came home one day from school and went to feed him but when I called he didn't come. I called out for him for that whole week, until my dad told me he'd probably just run away. I came to find out a year later he'd been killed by the dog next door. I was devastated. I cried so much for my Polo, and to my surprise instead of comforting me my dad reprimanded me for "crying over an animal." He said "You don't cry over animals, they aren't like people."

Man that really made me angry. I just couldn't understand where that came from. I know Polo loved me and I know he felt, just like I feel.

I've since found out my father recently lost a pet of his own and his wife had no qualms about telling me he cried all the way home from the vet's office because there was no saving the dog. At least now I know he's not as unfeeling as I thought him to be in high school.

Pet's are part of our family, and they become part of our own souls. Where else can you find someone so devoted to you, who loves you no matter if you are overweight, or if you are blond or brunette. It doesn't matter if you are rich or poor, or if you can't manage your money well. It doesn't matter if you had a crappy day at work and you burned dinner, they love you and you do everything you can for them.

Don't pay attention to people like that.