Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 25th, 2007, 09:19 AM

Neighbors cats

I have a neighbor who puts her cats outside one at a time to get lost. The last one I did not know was hers. I asked her if the cat belong to her and she denied it. The animal shelter will put the cats down. I live in the middle of the city with lost of traffic. Anybody have any ideas on what I can do to stop her from putting her cats out? They are going to get killed. I have talked to her about this and she states that her cats like it outside.
Old April 25th, 2007, 11:57 PM

If it was me I would just ask her if I could have her cats or I would just take them. People like that just shouldn't and don't deserve to have pets of any kind. I hate it when people put their cats outside or let them outside because you know eventually they will just forget about them or they end up flat as a pancake on some street. I wish I wash extremely rich and had a huge place for all the strays out there. None of which would be put down because their owners don't have time, etc for them. If the animal needed to be put down to keep them from suffering yes I would do that. Some of these owners are the ones that need to be put down.
Old April 26th, 2007, 01:03 AM
Kitty Consort

Does she have any family members living with her, know any other neighbours? Maybe you could try to enlist the help of someone else to help her understand the danger, reinforce that they need her to keep them safe, and what "they like" cant be permitted.

If she denied one cat was even hers..maybe she doesnt even really want them, putting them out as she doesnt want to bother with them?

If that is the case, you might try to locate a private no kill shelter that would agree to take them, and try to talk her into into giving them up instead.

Lots of people let their cats roam free, and there is always some degree of risk, depending on where you live.
But.. if this a downtown area with heavy traffic, odds are certainly much greater that these poor cats wont be around to like "anything" for long.:sad:

I hope the kitty guardian angels will continue to watch over them, ..and that something will change.

Good luck with this! .
Old April 26th, 2007, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
If it was me I would just ask her if I could have her cats or I would just take them. People like that just shouldn't and don't deserve to have pets of any kind. I hate it when people put their cats outside or let them outside because you know eventually they will just forget about them or they end up flat as a pancake on some street. I wish I wash extremely rich and had a huge place for all the strays out there. None of which would be put down because their owners don't have time, etc for them. If the animal needed to be put down to keep them from suffering yes I would do that. Some of these owners are the ones that need to be put down.
Thank you for your advice however I can't take the cats in. I already have a cat and dog. The first cat, the one she denied, I took to the vet because the animal shelter wanted to put her down. I paid to have her examined and her shots. Thanks goodness she was little enough that pet store took her and she was sold that night. We have no "no kill shelter" so I am in a fix. Anyway thanks again.
Old April 26th, 2007, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
Does she have any family members living with her, know any other neighbours? Maybe you could try to enlist the help of someone else to help her understand the danger, reinforce that they need her to keep them safe, and what "they like" cant be permitted.

If she denied one cat was even hers..maybe she doesnt even really want them, putting them out as she doesnt want to bother with them?

If that is the case, you might try to locate a private no kill shelter that would agree to take them, and try to talk her into into giving them up instead.

Lots of people let their cats roam free, and there is always some degree of risk, depending on where you live.
But.. if this a downtown area with heavy traffic, odds are certainly much greater that these poor cats wont be around to like "anything" for long.:sad:

I hope the kitty guardian angels will continue to watch over them, ..and that something will change.

Good luck with this! .
Thanks for your advice. This neighbor just moved here about 3 months ago and she really don't socialize. We also have no "no kill shelters". I think she is hoping that something happens to them. I think I am going to call the animal shelter and ask them what they can do. Probably nothing! Anyway, thanks again for your response and advice.
Old April 27th, 2007, 02:34 PM

I think what i would do is call your local humane society and tell them what is happening to these poor cat's. I do not understand people letting their "pet" cat's outside in a city environment, it's frankly just too dangerous and that's just with the traffic alone....Do you think that she is in some way trying to "get rid of them?", like she is tired of them, or that they have grown a bit and she want's a kitten??, because if that's the case the cruelty officer at your local humane society should be called in to investigate, I mean how many cat's that she "own's" have to be put down before she is stopped....I wish you luck and applaud you for caring enough to get involved.

puss
For my babies, Trouble (little black panther cat-stray) Ty-D-Bowl (my huge grey & white fluffy part cat part raccoon - sure eat's like one anyway-stray) and the newest addition to our furry family, Bear 10 week old black Labradoodle puppy....and of course,

R.I.P. my baby Rottie dog, Sierra (Stinker) 97-07.
Old April 27th, 2007, 04:22 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't know where you live,but unfortunately it is not against the law to let your cats out unsupervised,there should be IMO.
Maybe if you explained the situation to Humane Society,they might talk to her and encourage her not to get any more cats,after all they are the ones dealing with the end result.
Old April 30th, 2007, 01:16 AM
Critter Cult Peon!!

Location: small, decrepit-but improving!-farm in Southern Ontario
Thumbs up

Tough situation :sad: ...but good for you for caring enough to try to look into improving the situation somehow (for the cats involved). Good luck .