Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old June 30th, 2011, 03:32 PM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Thumbs up The Royal Visit

Did anyone get to watch William & Kate's welcome ceremony on CBS? I enjoyed both Governor General David Johnston & Prince Williams speech in both French & English - very well done They will travel across Canada by plane, ship, helicoption and sea plane - hope they have a wonderful visit.

I'm however disturbed by the Reseau de Resistance du Quebecois (well known for disrupting events) who plan to have a demonstration against their visit both tomorrow in Montreal and Sunday in Quebec City.

Group leader Patrick Bourgeois says: He has no problem with the royals, personally, but he believes it's his duty to demonstrate to the world that many Quebecers resent the institution and do not accept its legitimacy. He said such a message would be lost if William and Kate managed to spend two days in Quebec without any disruption. How kind

http://www.news889.com/news/national...montreal-visit

Thoughts?
Old June 30th, 2011, 05:13 PM
Mickey, my angel

I didn't watch the ceremony (didn't even know it was on or that they were visiting Canada now). Is it obvious I'm not a royal watcher?

As far as the protest is concerned, I have nothing against people exercising their fundamental right to peaceful protest. I have done it myself (not in regards to the monarchy but for other issues).

The protest is likely to be somewhat disruptive to the royals but as long as it is peaceful (non-violent) I see nothing wrong with a group of people expressing their opposition to a constitutional monarchy in Canada.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009
Old June 30th, 2011, 06:39 PM
Mickey, my angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Girls View Post
Group leader Patrick Bourgeois says: He has no problem with the royals, personally, but he believes it's his duty to demonstrate to the world that many Quebecers resent the institution and do not accept its legitimacy. He said such a message would be lost if William and Kate managed to spend two days in Quebec without any disruption. How kind

http://www.news889.com/news/national...montreal-visit

Thoughts?
When I did the last post, I didn't pay much attention to the part you highlighted. While I don't disagree with the right to peaceful protest, I do disagree that he purports that his group represents the people of Quebec.

Lets just hope that the protests are peaceful as they say they will be.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton

Old July 1st, 2011, 09:26 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

I just don't get the Royal thing... and I'm pretty sure WE the Canadian Taxpayers are paying for their luxurious trip all around our country. I suspect that trip might go into 7 figures.

If they pay their own way, sure let them come visit our gorgeous country.

But if WE have to pay....I prefer they stay home.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old July 1st, 2011, 10:05 AM
Mickey, my angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
I just don't get the Royal thing... and I'm pretty sure WE the Canadian Taxpayers are paying for their luxurious trip all around our country. I suspect that trip might go into 7 figures.

If they pay their own way, sure let them come visit our gorgeous country.

But if WE have to pay....I prefer they stay home.
Yes, this is considered to be a state tour. so the Canadian taxpayers are footing the bill. I don't get it either. The costs will be split between Ottawa and the provinces that they will be visiting. I haven't heard a figure fot this latest tour but Charles and Camilla's trip in 2009 cost taxpayers about 2.6 million and the Queen's trip in 2010 cost approximately 2 million.

Old July 1st, 2011, 10:25 AM

No offense to anyone that loves the Royals and I know there are MANY but I really get P.O.d when I hear figures like that

For me this is Government wasting precious taxpayer dollars.

Imagine how many dogs and cats the 6.6 million dollars (3 trips for 5 royals) could have helped

Don't even get me started on all the other money wasted on the (useless and overpriced salaried positions of prestige like the Governor General) Monarchy right here in Canada. We've been our own Country for 144 years. That's close to 5 generations....for me it's time to stop paying for Royal Visits and the Monarchy.
Pet facebook group
Follow me on Twitter
Old July 1st, 2011, 10:51 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Thanks for sharing!
Old July 1st, 2011, 11:04 AM
An Honest Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
No offense to anyone that loves the Royals and I know there are MANY but I really get P.O.d when I hear figures like that

For me this is Government wasting precious taxpayer dollars.

Imagine how many dogs and cats the 6.6 million dollars (3 trips for 5 royals) could have helped

Don't even get me started on all the other money wasted on the (useless and overpriced salaried positions of prestige like the Governor General) Monarchy right here in Canada. We've been our own Country for 144 years. That's close to 5 generations....for me it's time to stop paying for Royal Visits and the Monarchy.
They are honoured guests of Canada, invited by OUR gov't therefore should be treated with respect.

And, beeing called parasites (Amir Khadir) is disgusting.

IMO just the int'l press coverage has attracted many more visitors which will help tourism; hotels, food, t-shirts ... long after their gone! Over 1300 journalists are covering the royal tour, that's nothing to sneeze about!

They are the future KING AND QUEEN CANADA (like it or not) and I for one welcome them and hope they not only see but meet the majority of wonderful people who make up Canada!
Old July 1st, 2011, 11:14 AM
An Honest Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikischo View Post
When I did the last post, I didn't pay much attention to the part you highlighted. While I don't disagree with the right to peaceful protest, I do disagree that he purports that his group represents the people of Quebec
Exactly
Old July 1st, 2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
They are the future KING AND QUEEN CANADA (like it or not) and I for one welcome them and hope they not only see but meet the majority of wonderful people who make up Canada!
No prob GG I know lots of people that support your view- i did not mean to offend i just have incredibly strong opinions about this Just as an FYI, MANY Brits feel the exact same way as I do, can you imagine what the Monarchy costs Britain's tax-payers? I get the fact the it helps tourism and people that own tourism based business but it just doesn't help the taxpayer at all imo I'll stop now.
Pet facebook group
Follow me on Twitter
Old July 1st, 2011, 11:35 AM
An Honest Contributor

Marko I mean no disrepect but I opened this thread to rant about the "bad publicity" they were receiving ... here in Quebec, no big surprise!

And that's it otherwise I think it's a WAY TOO HOT topic to touch
Old July 1st, 2011, 11:45 AM

You are right...my bad.
Pet facebook group
Follow me on Twitter
Old July 4th, 2011, 08:43 AM
Mickey, my angel

Well, I thought things went quite well in Quebec. I thought the protests were quite well conducted overall. We are a multicultural society and the beauty of it is we don't always have to speak with one voice. Overall we still get along quite well, IMO.

I did like the royal couple's attitude about the protests as well:

http://www.news889.com/news/national...tests-included

"A spokesman for Prince William and Kate says the royal couple have "fallen in love" with Canada and even consider the protests against them an example of the country's characteristic complexity."

While not a particular fan of the royals or the monarchy, I am happy that they are suitably impressed with the rich fabric and diversity of our beautiful country.

Old July 4th, 2011, 09:21 AM
Senior Contributor

I like the royals, man she is gorgeous, and he's so comical....yes protest if you must, but don't show your ignorance, Marko, no disrespect, but I don't mind seeing my tax dollars go to their visit, I'd rather see it go there then see it every month going to people who refuse to work and play the system.
Old July 4th, 2011, 10:09 AM
An Honest Contributor

Couldn't agree more with you Melinda

The protests were drowned-out by their supporters. Of course not everyone is/was pro-monarchy mostly they all just wanted to witness a fairly tale/love story. I loved their whole visit to Ma Belle Provence and anxiously wait to see bits of the rest.

I do know there is a peaceful demonstration when they visit the Stampede.
Old July 4th, 2011, 10:12 AM
An Honest Contributor

I hold a photo of my mom who has passed in my wallet of her with the Queen in 1957 ... and will treasure forever and ever!
Old July 4th, 2011, 04:24 PM
Senior Contributor

I am certainly not interested in the British Monarchy and feel any ties we in Canada still have with Britain,other than business should be absolved.

The fact I had to swear allegiance to the Queen in becoming a Canadian citizen,really bothered me,I will swear allegiance to Canada,the country I love...but would never consider A British Queen as head of state.
As for William and Kate,they are a beautiful couple and I wish them all the best,but William will never become my King.

We have people in Canada from all over the world,Canada is an independant strong country,we are no longer a colony to Britain.
Sorry if I sound harsh,but that is how I feel.
Old July 4th, 2011, 07:18 PM
Senior Contributor

GG I have a pin her guards gave to me when I was 2 *L* handed it over to me while I was on dads shoulders...I fell in love with the royals then. I guess its like having the president come to ottawa....we loved that too.
Old July 7th, 2011, 12:43 PM
An Honest Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
GG I have a pin her guards gave to me when I was 2 *L* handed it over to me while I was on dads shoulders...I fell in love with the royals then. I guess its like having the president come to ottawa....we loved that too.
I too will always be a loyal, royal Canadian