Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old March 26th, 2011, 11:08 AM
-

It's Earth Day!

I haven't decided what I'm going to to do yet besides turn off the unnecessary lights and appliances of course.

I'd like to do something ~ and yes, I know this sounds crunchy granola ~ to celebrate and honour the earth. Any thoughts? I was thinking about getting my seeds started. What are you doing for Earth Day?
Old March 26th, 2011, 11:11 AM
~Cat Servent~

I carpooled to breakfast.... And changed all my filters today, furnace, air cleaners etc! does that count as earthy?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old March 26th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

We celebrate earth day everyday, so we didn't plan anything different today.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 26th, 2011, 01:04 PM
-

Crunch crunch L4H

This is cute: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/dog...our-video.html
Old March 26th, 2011, 03:25 PM
Skylar's Farm

Since we are on the stupid "time of use" Hydro scheme, I did do laundry today, but won't be using the oven tonight, just nuking food from yesterday. Oh, and yes, I do have some great granola to crunch on.
Old March 26th, 2011, 04:31 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I thought the official Earth Day was in April?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 26th, 2011, 04:46 PM
-

My bad ~ It's Earth Hour.
http://www.earthhour.org/Homepage.aspx
Old March 26th, 2011, 04:48 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Oh, I've heard of that! Is that 8:30 local time or is everyone running off the same clock?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 26th, 2011, 04:48 PM
sempervivum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
We celebrate earth day everyday, so we didn't plan anything different today.

thats kinda where I am at. I already do the suggestions I've seen for today...and then som' more. Alot more.

not much more I can do without som' spare money for solar panels Im already composting, conserving, collecting rain, and recycling religiously
Old March 26th, 2011, 05:09 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

I am going to be doing the usual tonight - burning every light in the house, leaving the fridge door open, running the dishwasher, washing machine and dryer all at the same time, baking, running the vaccuum, and watching TV all the while being on my comp.
Ok, ok, I'm not. All of that stuff has been done or will be done before 8:30. I'll just probably sit with candlelight reading a good book. Hubby, or course, has his own ideas of what we should be doing. I asked him what we were gonna do with the other 58 minutes.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old March 26th, 2011, 05:25 PM
You can call me DOG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
I am going to be doing the usual tonight - burning every light in the house, leaving the fridge door open, running the dishwasher, washing machine and dryer all at the same time, baking, running the vaccuum, and watching TV all the while being on my comp.
Name:  giggle.gif
Views: 257
Size:  1.0 KB

I usually do an 8-8:30 dog walk so I'll just shut everything down and go for a longer walk tonight.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old March 26th, 2011, 05:27 PM
-

Yeaaaah. I was thinking more party-mode. Maybe I will create a Earth Hour ....libation. Hmmm, an Earth Hour organic vodka infusion maybe.
Old March 26th, 2011, 05:34 PM
You can call me DOG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummummum View Post
Yeaaaah. I was thinking more party-mode. Maybe I will create a Earth Hour ....libation. Hmmm, an Earth Hour organic vodka infusion maybe.
Whoot whoot! I'll bring the iced tea!

Name:  letsparty.gif
Views: 270
Size:  15.2 KB

Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Old March 26th, 2011, 05:41 PM
-

Long Island I hope
Old March 26th, 2011, 07:08 PM
You can call me DOG!

Ooohhhh...that's pretty potent stuff Mx3! You can have the Tequila worm!

Old March 27th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Apparently Toronto had the poorest response ever to earth hour.

We pay it no never mind here, it comes and goes unnoticed. We always try to conserve electricity, water, gas etc. Not because it's better for the earth, because the friggin stuff is so expensive thanks to paying for all of the green political task forces, green scientists, green power sources, etc to arrest climate change that is going to happen whether or not we do all of this stuff or not.

I use very few chemicals here and always have been careful about stuff I use for cleaners, fertilizers, gardening practices and what not as well as being very careful about what I pour down the drain. Always have, it's just common sense. If it's not good for the environment, it's not good for you. I don't need some high paid stuffed shirt to tell me about it.

End of rant.

clm
Old March 27th, 2011, 02:49 PM
Senior Contributor

I played Scrabble by soy-based candlelight with hubby. I think I won, but it was really hard to see the letters.

It's mostly just a symbolic gesture to participate. We normally go for a walk around the neighbourhood to see who else is joining in and I always love to see the houses with candles glowing, people playing cards in the front window, or out walking the dog. It tends to be the biggest and richest houses that have every light on, with TVs blaring even though nobody's watching.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old March 27th, 2011, 04:22 PM
Senior Contributor

I am sooooo bad,forgot all about it
But I too try do do the right thing with Hydro etc..mostly because it's getting really expensive,we also have that"time of use"meter.

Otherwise I am pretty good,no pesticide use,we recycle and compost(got to get a new composter)don't use dangerous chemicals,but that's mostly because of the cats and outside it's for the birds and other wildlife.
Old March 27th, 2011, 04:43 PM
-

We got our dreaded "time of use" letter informing us that as of Apr 13th we will be doomed.

We didn't participate in Earth Hour at all....
Old March 27th, 2011, 04:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
We got our dreaded "time of use" letter informing us that as of Apr 13th we will be doomed.

We didn't participate in Earth Hour at all....
Start getting used to doing anything big in electric consumption on the weekends...its low price all weekend and holidays...that's when I do my bedding, mats etc.

Then just as you are getting your act together for winter....it is summer hours for so called "smart meter".

I am home all week...what I feel for are the 2 working parent households who cant just adjust themselves to the meter timing for keeping up with kid's needs and laundry. But, I guess our government wouldnt steer us wrong???

Yes, I believe in the Rainbow Bridge
Old March 27th, 2011, 04:59 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincymycat View Post

I am home all week...what I feel for are the 2 working parent households who cant just adjust themselves to the meter timing for keeping up with kid's needs and laundry. But, I guess our government wouldnt steer us wrong???
Especially those who are both working and barely making ends meet . Gov't is so out of touch with the average family

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 27th, 2011, 05:13 PM
-

Last year I read in the paper that peeps had done such a good job of conserving hydro that Toronto Hydro's profit was down therefore they raised the cost per kwh.

This province has a surplus of hydro often and since it is not viable to shut reactors down, they pay other utilities to take it off their hands.

............and they want me to turn stuff off for 1 hour, pleeeeeeze
Old March 27th, 2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
But I too try do do the right thing with Hydro etc..mostly because it's getting really expensive,we also have that"time of use"meter.

just wondering, but wouldnt that be a good thing? what are the other choices? (can you tell i dont live on my own ) that way you only pay for what you use instead of maybe paying a constant rate when you might sometimes use very little power?

I always turn off the lights/tv/radio etc when i leave a room and often behind other people. I rarely have lights on at any time of day, i open the blinds during the day and I like my room to be dark at night anyways, especially if i am watching tv or on the computer. we recycle and compost anything and everything we can at home too.

Change the way you look at things and the things around you change
Old March 27th, 2011, 08:14 PM
You can call me DOG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post

I played Scrabble by soy-based candlelight with hubby. I think I won, but it was really hard to see the letters.

Old March 27th, 2011, 09:01 PM
Skylar's Farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgiemama View Post
just wondering, but wouldnt that be a good thing? what are the other choices? (can you tell i dont live on my own ) that way you only pay for what you use instead of maybe paying a constant rate when you might sometimes use very little power?
I always turn off the lights/tv/radio etc when i leave a room and often behind other people. I rarely have lights on at any time of day, i open the blinds during the day and I like my room to be dark at night anyways, especially if i am watching tv or on the computer. we recycle and compost anything and everything we can at home too.
The Hydro scheme is "time of use" which has the weekdays split into 3 groupings with different prices for the Hydro that you are using during that particular time of day. If you want to do laundry and vacuum and cook from 9 pm all night until 7 a.m. then you can indeed save a bit of money, but the heat and fridge etc. still have to run during the super high cost times of breakfast and dinner time which essentially negates any savings that you have struggled to acquire. It sucks.
Old March 28th, 2011, 10:41 AM

ohh okay, well that does suck then. Its convenient that the high cost times are breakfast and supper time..when everyone will use it.

Change the way you look at things and the things around you change