Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

View Poll Results: Do you Kennel your dog?
Yes 16 48.48%
No 17 51.52%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 5th, 2009, 04:36 PM

Question Do you Kennel your dog?

Do you kennel your dog? (I am referring to crates that people keep them in-not boarding them when going out of town)

If yes, when do you kennel and why do you kennel?

If no, why did you choose not to?
Old May 5th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Half Way To Crazy

we did when both my dogs were pups (until the age of 4 months old)
. now that they are both bigger we don't..

to keep the dog safe/ potty training and to give us piece of mind when we are not able to watch them.
Old May 5th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Master of the Drool!

I don't now...Haven't found a crate that big...we did when they were little..but there is useally someone here all the time so when we do go out the boys are fine
AHHHH They are a year old already!!!!
Old May 5th, 2009, 05:30 PM

We did up until about a year ago... it kept Tommy safe while I was at work, and it kept our belongings safe, too, LOL. We stopped when I had some work issues that required me to be there longer hours (sometimes 14+ hours) without being able to get home, that's just wayyyyyyyyy too long in a crate. At that point Tommy preferred just snoozing on the bed anyway, he had no problems at all being loose so we've just left it that way. He still has his crate though, and it's still his personal space to use when he wants private time away from anybody bugging him.
Old May 5th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

I dont crate Winston any longer as he is now 9 yrs old. I would not have a problem with it if I had too! He learned to be trusted when he was almost 4yrs old. I have never removed it though because he loves to go downstairs and lay in it. I think its a safe haven for them.

I learned that until I could trust him alone in the house for the day without accidents or problems he had to stay in the crate. There are many things you can do to make it a hppy thing as well. I used to cover it with a blankie like a little cave and Winston liked that! as well I never used it as a place for discipline! that was key!

Thats my thoughts on it.

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old May 5th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

I still grate.Jag likes to counter surf and get into things.Ginger will chew on anything she can get her mouth around and will still poop in the house.safer to crate and when they are sleepy through out the day they will go into their crate and sleep door always stay's open when were home.
Old May 5th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Crazy cat lady!

I crate my Chihuahua because he loves to mark the whole house!!

I also crate my Catahoula bulldog, she is very young!

We crate when we leave the house or go to bed

cappucino ~ short haired guinea pig female - 6months

Sky ~ budgie female - 6months

Snuggles ~ grey male cat - 2 years

Screech ~ long haired black male cat (thinks he is a dog) - 4 years

Shaggy ~ long haired Chihuahua mix male - 8 years
Old May 5th, 2009, 07:35 PM

Buster is crated Mon - Fri when I am at work for long hours (I know....it's not right and I feel like crap about it) but otherwise, he was chewing electrical wires and marking all over. I was probably the person most against crating until it became a safety issue for the dog and now....well, all I do is say Buster, go in your house...and he goes in his crate. He LOVES his "house" and I know that he is safe when I am out.

Hopefully one day I will trust myself enough to let him have free run of the house...

Don't let someone become a priority in your life when you are just an option in their life.
Old May 5th, 2009, 07:53 PM

I kennel Sparks at night and for a couple of hours while I'm gone. This is because we don't trust her to go through the night without any accidents yet. She is also a little destructive because of teething right now.

Maggie is never kenneled. She does not particularly like it but I'm thinking of doing it during cleaning or when I decide to try the dogs on Raw meaty bones. That would be it though.

Noel- 4 year old black and white cat
Felix- 6 year old black cat
Maggie-3 year old Newfoundland Dog
Sparkie- Puppy Shih zu
Old May 5th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Molly's mama

We crate Molly whenever she is home alone. We tried giving her the run of the house but that did not work so well (she got into everything!!) We just bought her a HUGE crate (since she is housetrained), so now she can strech right out, stand up, and turn around in it. Makes me feel better about leaving her in it when I got to work.
We crated her at night while we were housetraining her, but now that she doesn't have any accidents in the house, she sleeps in her bed at night.
I think crate is great!!!
Old May 5th, 2009, 09:17 PM

I crate the Scots when we are in the car traveling. Mac was never crated in the house, but I did confine him to a room when I was working. He now has run of the downstairs and the upstairs has a baby gate so he won't play/fall on the stairs.

Cassie was crated when she first came to live with us. She wasn't house trained, but would not soil the crate. She also took a spell of chewing electric cords, so I knew she was safe in the crate. We have gradually let her out of the crate at night in our bedroom once she was potty trained. She has not earned run of the house, so we confine her to a small bathroom when we are out of the house. She will go to her kennel when requested. She is a very good girl.

I never thought I would crate, but I'm reformed. I won't leave a dog in a crate for hours, but it is a wonderful training tool and a safe place for the dog.
Old May 5th, 2009, 09:18 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

We crated Chase when he was a puppy, both overnight and when not home....until he was about 4 months old and pretty trustworthy with both potty training and not chewing things. Fortunately he was a fast learner.

We still crate Kailey, our rescued GSD. She's going on approx. 2 years old and we've had her for nearly one year. She gets crated for her own safety....when we tried giving her free run she nearly killed herself! Opened up the kibble bin and ate until she almost bloated. She LOVES her crate though. Every morning before I leave for work she runs right over and sits down in front of it, waiting to be let in. She sleeps with us at night though.....she only gets herself into trouble when no one is home!
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old May 5th, 2009, 09:22 PM
You can call me DOG!

We use to crate Gryphon up till he was about 4 Y.O--he was at one point, very distructive.

Then when Christmas came along last year, the crate came down to fit the tree and we never put up since.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old May 5th, 2009, 10:37 PM
Doggie Wench

The only time we used our crates was when the dogs first joined our home and only when we left the house for any amount of time (max 4 hours).

Since we moved 6 months ago, they can all be trusted with free run of the house. The crates are still set up downstairs where I feed them their rmb's for easier clean-ups. We will occasionally find one of them taking a nap or gutting a stuffy in there . The only other time we crate them is when a repair/service technician comes over and is afraid of dogs (and the weather's too icky to leave them outdoors).
Old May 5th, 2009, 10:38 PM

I use a crate for my mix pug/chihuahua Romeo - that was his sleeping/safety area from day 1, and he has never expressed any unhappiness there--if you look down, wayyy down you can see him in between his stuffed toys when he was a wee lad lol . We have a very large carpeted area in the basement of our new home that in time I would like to adapt part of for Romeo's use during the day - currently my son is at home and makes sure Romeo gets out at least twice for a good play in daytime. At night he goes in anywhere between 9:30 to 11, I cover him over with a blanket and never hear a peep until morning. That also gives my cats some free "prowling" time without him tearing after them, my 15year old Ducky doesn't appreciate it.
Attached Images

Old May 5th, 2009, 10:48 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I still sometimes come home to empty wrappers all over the counters, dirty dishes pushed all over the tables and towels on the floor...but if I crate hubby when I leave, I've noticed a great improvement! The Pack is happier that way, too, cuz then they don't have to share the bed!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 5th, 2009, 10:52 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
I still sometimes come home to empty wrappers all over the counters, dirty dishes pushed all over the tables and towels on the floor...but if I crate hubby when I leave, I've noticed a great improvement! The Pack is happier that way, too, cuz then they don't have to share the bed!

Too funny Hazel!
Old May 6th, 2009, 05:50 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

I've never crated any of our dogs. They're gated into the kitchen until about 4 months of age and then after that they have run of the main floor. We've never had a problem. Always provided them with lots of safe chewies for while we're out and other than the odd kitchen table leg or chair leg tooth marks, it's worked well for us.

Cindy
Old May 6th, 2009, 05:57 AM

We crate, but only when nobody is ho,e or to prevent danger (ie: open door while moving stuff in and out, and risk of losing a puppy onto the road.) Also gives her a space that is supposed to be all hers. I think Seuss somehow missed that part of the explanation, though
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old May 6th, 2009, 06:05 AM
Senior Contributor

we crated Brina for the first 4 days so I could housebreak her, but after that she had free roam of the house, I work at home so I suppose it's easier for me. She was never a chewer (unless you could magazines *L*) so there really was nothing she'd destroy when we were gone.
Old May 6th, 2009, 06:09 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

No we don't, Buddy was a year old when we got him, and had a very difficult life, so I just didn't have the heart to crate him..................BUT there are days I wish I had a crate!!! He does get into things when we're not home.
Just last week he chewed my sons Wii controler and he steals things off the counter. He usually just hides everything he steals so it's not so bad.

That all being said, I blame myself as I have been doing alot of overtime, so Buddy hasn't been walked as often as he should so I believe he jsut has some pent of energy and frustration, and that why he does these things

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old May 6th, 2009, 07:28 AM

Both of our dogs have free run. They don't chew on anything and haven't had accidents for almost a year. The only thing they would get into is laundry, which we keep closed in the bedroom closet or laundry room. Or if I forget to put away the bag of treats, they may get it off the table. Other then that they have plenty of toys to play with, although they spend most of the day napping, one on the couch with a view out the window and the other in his favourite chair.

At night Duke, the beagle, goes straight to his bed to sleep, but will wander between his bed and his favourite corner by our bed to sleep in or sometimes by the window if we leave it open. Toby, the little one, will jump on our bed, but will wander from the bed to the floor to his bed if we are tossing too much. Occasionally Duke will jump on the bed in the early morning and curl up waiting for us to get up. Suprising he takes up less room then the little one. He could sleep there all night but he prefers to be by himself when sleeping.

But they get walked four times a day and tire themselves out chasing each other around the apartment.
Old May 6th, 2009, 07:55 AM

I crate Eva when we go out and for a few hours each day while Adi is out (they love eachother, but I feel the both need one-on-one lovins without having eachother in the way). She can have free run, but on occasion she will get into the garbage so instead of setting her up to fail, I crate her when we go. Adi, believe it or not is a fantastic house dog! He has proven time and time again that he is reliable in the house without supervision......but, seeing as how he is so young and COULD cause alot of damage in a short amount of time, we crate him when we go. Plus it wouldn't be fair to have one dog out and one dog crated! Adi's crate is broken, so he can open it at anytime with the flick of his paw, but he doesn't. Everyonce in a while though, we are greeted at the door by my big kissface baby!
Old May 6th, 2009, 09:01 AM
-

We have never crated any of the dogs...personally I am not a fan of crating. The mishaps that occur, are just part of having dogs in my life
Old May 6th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Master of the Drool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Mybe Thats my problem!! Never thought of crating hubby!!! MAkes sence to me now
AHHHH They are a year old already!!!!
Old May 6th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Senior Contributor

When the time comes I will kennel my pooch but this kennel is more like a puppy spa daycare/kennel. All dogs are within their own kennel and run however they are let out during the day, matched with dogs of their size and temperment. I have no problem with this concept.

I rather have her boarded then leave her with family as she is a little bugger at times. If I go away I don't want to worry about feeling guilty that I left a trouble maker with family members I love.
Old May 10th, 2009, 03:35 PM

I have never crated dogs myself as I have not had to. With house training of any pups Ihad we started with papers and then moved outside.
Some dogs love their crates though. I think it depends on the dog.
Old May 10th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

I used to when Bayley was younger. Still have her crate, just in case. I also have a travel crate that she really likes for going on trips. It's more like a tent. The cat really likes it too!!
Old May 11th, 2009, 09:18 AM

I have a large crate in the living room.Bambi (dog) and Topaze (cat) use it as they wish ,alone or sometimes together.

I also keep it there so in case of emergency,me or my daughter, can pick them both and put them in and run!
For me it's a safety issu.
Attached Images

Old May 13th, 2009, 02:50 PM

My dogs are all crated/kenneled when we're away. That way I can leave them without worrying about anything, and know they're safe and not getting into anything that could harm them. They all really like their crates, too.