Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old November 8th, 2004, 04:23 PM
Senior Contributor

I think taking in the kitten was the right thing to do and I think you should talk to the owner. You can let her know that if she needs any help you are there. It was a gift from her dad and that is something that she probably holds dear to her. It could have been an accident that it got out.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old November 8th, 2004, 05:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Pitbulliest,I am sorry you got some negative responses,after all you rescued the kitten,he could have been thrown outside if it had not been for you.
We here do not know what goes on in your building and I for one can understand your hesitation giving him back,I would feel responsible would something happen to this kitten down the road..
I take it the kitten is now with two other cats at your boyfriends house and it would really bother me to take him away,but I suppose you have to do the right thing :sad:
Let the girl know,the kitten would have a wonderful home with your boy-friend should she run into trouble,like Mel said and Good Luck
Old November 8th, 2004, 05:51 PM
Senior Contributor

I lost my first Den-Den 37 years ago. I always suspected he was stolen by a military family in the building who was transferred and moved out the same day Den-Den disappeared. I still have tears, to this day, even now, when I think about him and don't know what happened or what kind of life he led. It's an awful experience that you never get over if you truly love your pet. I learned alot and I'm sure I became an even more responsible pet owner because of it. I'm sure I would have learned the same lesson if I had been fortunate to have gotten him back! Just telling it from the other side. :sad:

I think you should give him back, offer advice, and keep an eye on him.
Old November 8th, 2004, 06:00 PM
Senior Contributor

I would let her know you have it,and tell her if she doesnt want it you ahve a great home for it.People do fight that is normal,unless the kitten looked neglected i would let her know you have it..
Old November 8th, 2004, 08:36 PM
Senior Contributor

While I have no idea of what goes on the home of the kitten owner, and am sure no one here would do it, pets are OFTEN targets in cases of domestic fights, abuse, etc. Abusing and/or killing the pet of a partner is common way to hurt that partner. Dogs have been shot, kicked, thrown down staircases and stabbed, cats and kittens thrown against walls, out windows and off balconies etc.

NOT saying that is the case here - just that it does happen with some frequency.
Old November 9th, 2004, 05:18 PM
Kitty Mum

I juist wanted to say that I think what you have done is really great. You are clearly a very caring and loving person. You said that the kitten was REALLY starving. In the girls poster did she say how long the babe had been missing? That may be why...if the kitten had been gone for a while. I mean, if it got down there without the help of others....that is a long way for a kitten to travel. That may have taken a few days, hence being so skinny.

I am undecided on this whole situation. My gut says to keep him/her because something doesn't seem right. Though, I have just heard this passed from your finger tips so it is hard to say. My heart says to give the little one back due to it being something her dead father passed on to her. This is a really tough decision and I can see why it has been so hard for you.

I noticed you first posted 2 days ago....did you make a decision? I would love to hear - you can PM me if you want

Love and Hugs to the little one :love:
Old November 9th, 2004, 10:41 PM
banned user

Someone who loves animals this much shouldn't be bashed for taking this little one in, or for even having thoughts of keeping it.
I can't tell you what to do, but you have to decide what's best for it. When you say starving, was it really starving, like deathly... or was it just really really hungry because it hadn't eaten in a day or two? If it had just been lost that day or the day before and was really skinny and sickly looking, *I* would definitely keep it. The owners fighting shouldn't be an issue though... you don't know exactly what has happened. Good luck, please let us know what you do.
Old November 10th, 2004, 09:00 PM

Pitbulliest, we'd like to know what happened to the little kitty....what did you decide?
Old November 10th, 2004, 09:28 PM

Give the kitty back

Hi Pitbulliest,
I admire the way that you are concerned about the welfare of this little kitty. It was wonderful that you took the little thing into your home, and that you hoped to provide it with an opportunity to have a new home. But .... the lady who owns the kitty obviously has feelings :love: for her little ball of fluff, otherwise she would not have put up the notice. Kittens can be very sneaky and dask out of a doorway really fast.

As others have suggested, perhaps you can offer some feedback on how starved the little thing was. I know that if thathad happened to my cat, I would have been devestated. Mind you, I never let her outdoors.

Anyway, hope things work out when you return her.
Old November 11th, 2004, 08:29 AM
Senior Contributor

Everyone here in this Forum are animal-lovers,we want our animals to have the best life possible.But not everyone feels that way,especially about a gift of a kitten/puppy.I'll let Pitbulliest tell you herself,about her experience.
Personally I wish she had kept it :sad:
Old November 11th, 2004, 10:56 PM

i've been struggling with this issue myself the past couple of days thinking what if a family who loved louie is pining away for him. as attached as i have become to this little guy, i took my nephew for a drive last night up and down streets in the neighbourhood my sister found him in checking for lost kitty signs along the way.
yes there were a few and my heart thumped on one but it was a white and black FEMALE that was lost and yes i am SURE this one is a boy
wanted to teach my nephew a lesson in the process because we can't always keep what we find
very thankful i didn't find someone looking high and low but i will have to give him back if i find the owner. it would be the right thing to do.
Old November 12th, 2004, 01:41 PM
Kitty Mum

I know this is a little off from what Pittbulliest is writing about. This is more towards louies mom. Most of you know I like to tell personal stories in comparison to situations in hopes that it may be helpful.

When I was in gr.8 my mum and I were on our way to see my Godmother in Manitoulin Island. It was really foggy out and we lived in a really rural area. Anyway, not far from our home, in the thick thick fog, we hit something. We heard this horrible bump under our car. I remember feeling a lump in my throat right away. I turned back as my mum stopped the car and saw this cat rolling behind our vehicle! Well, I started crying horribly - sobbing without a breath. My mum got out tearfully and told me to stay in the car. Of course I did not because I had to see for myself if he was not okay. I got out and stood next to my mum, looking down at this tiny body. He was quivering and had lost control of all his bodily functions. My mum told me that he would not make it because that is what a body does when it is dying. Well, I ran back to the car and grabbed my jacket to put the poor little guy in. My mum moved him carefully and put him at my feet in the car. We were insistant that we find a vet for this boy even though we were sure he would be gone soon. This was 6:30 am we drove around from vet office to vet office. Most places were closed or refused to take him because he was dying and "there was nothing we can do". We kept looking. Finally after almost two hours of this poor animal haging on with every breath of air he took, we found a vet who was willing to take him. Well outside our area. He said that he would take care of him best he could but there were no promises. He was sure he would die but said he would try his hardest. He said he would have to stay for the weekend if he made it. We did go to my Godmothers but cut our trip short to get there in time to see if things went okay. When we got there he was alive and well! They and we were very surprised. When they brought him out my mom paid the big vet bill and he looked lovingly at us. We brought him home and tried to decide whether we go from farm house to farm house to find the owner, or if we should keep him. We decided to keep him as we became attached to him and he was very attached to us. We knew he would live a very fulfulling life with us and that he would be safe because he would be kept indoors. We were afraid if let him go back that he would get hit once again.

Sorry for the lengthyness!!!!! I just wanted to tell a story that showed an executive decision. Some may not agree but sometimes you have to decide what you think is best by listening to your gut and your heart.
Old November 12th, 2004, 03:41 PM
Senior Contributor

When I wrote earlier about keeping the cat, due to possible violence against it. I was speaking from experience.
When I was a child my mother was very violent. When she wanted to punish me, she would have my brother shoot my pet. Dog or cat. When I was 18 I left home forever. I just associate yelling and screaming with severe abuse.
I have not spoken or seen this nasty so called mother in over 20 years. All the pets I have now are in a forever place. My husband and I have been married for 13 years and have never had a argument or disagreement. Some people find this unusual. But I often say fights are usually over money and kids. Since we have neither and I am such an to live with. LOL
Anyway I hope Pitbulliest gets back to us soon. And yes I remember every pet that my mother got rid of. I hope to see them all again at the bridge.
Old November 14th, 2004, 11:30 PM

to tyr
i hope this is ur way of telling me to quit feeling a little guilty and just luv this little cuddle bunny up
i'm done looking for anyone that might claim him for their own.
he owns me now :love: BIG TIME
Old November 15th, 2004, 01:25 AM
banned user

Tyr

(((hug))) your mom for me
Old November 15th, 2004, 08:43 AM
Senior Contributor

Shaykeija,I am sorry you had such terrible experiences as a child and you are right,many times an animal gets abused or killed in human fights and animals are so very vulnerable,especially a puppy or kitten :sad:
Luckily I had a mom just like Tyr,we were poor but my mom always tought me to respect and love animals,as I did with my sons.
Louie's Mom,I am soo happy you decided to keep the beautiful little guy
Old November 15th, 2004, 01:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Wink

I have been pondering this thread but only now am I replying to it. (I just read an article - posted on forum re: Nova Scotia SPCA - long story short, they PTS a family pet after a neighbour who wanted to adopt it brought it in (Seems to me she may have been seeking a cheap method of having it neutered but that's just a cynical guess).

I encountered my own situation a few weeks ago when I found that lovely Ginger cat I temporarily called Garfield. The family did show up -I had contacted our SPCA, made up a few posters, all the usual things - and claimed it was their pet. I asked for confirmation and a vet reference. (He had been so hungry but that could well have been for being outside for a day or more). They had NEVER brought him to the vet - did not think they had to, sigh. (I figured that since he was never neutered). (He did have the proper vaccines as a kitten though since they adopted him from the SPCA in another community).

They did establish his identiry through pictures and references from neighbours and their daughter seemed genuinely happy to have him back and he did willingly go with them - but then so do abused children go with their parents, sigh!!

So I offered to pay for the neutering and of course they wanted the money! I stipulated they go to the vet and have the vet call me and I'd make the arrangments for payment. Of course they never did!!

But I knew I had to give him back even though I really thought he was being neglected. I do think legally, it is an area that needs to be changed. Now, not neutering a cat may not be considered neglect but it certainly is not the sign of a well educated cat person! And they were giving him the basics and I'd be hard pressed in court to prove he was severely negelcted. (Though he had been picked up by someone on Halloween).

They live in another part of the community but at the risk of sounding like Glady Kraitz on Bewitched, I have asked someone I know who lives not far from them - another family doc - to watch out for him. So far, all seems well except for their lack of keeping the vet appt.

Anyway--- that's my tale or is that tail of woe for today!

What do you all think??????
Old November 15th, 2004, 01:31 PM

cyberkitty.
i've been on the phone this a.m. trying to find a vet that will give me a break on neutering (not free, but with a little help). i'm able to afford to keep louie very happy and healthy (check up, shots, regular visits to vets, food, love) but the neutering charges will be tough for me living on limited income.
i hope clinics/organizations don't feel ill will towards people like me trying to do the right thing for a found cat that could easily still be out on the streets fathering more babies.
anyone who knows of a vet that might be able to help me out in the Windsor area, please feel free to p.m. me or email.
thanks.
Old November 15th, 2004, 01:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Are there no fairs or times when vets and rescue groups offer to neuter cats for free in your area? (There are none here either but this seems to be a growing trend in some part of the US).
Old November 15th, 2004, 02:35 PM
Senior Contributor

I certainly classify not neutering a cat as neglect and irresponsibility. Intact toms roam far and wide, impregnating females, fighting and contracting disease, and usually live not more than 5 years.
Old November 15th, 2004, 02:39 PM
Senior Contributor

I classify it as neglect too but the laws in this province or this country do not, sigh!!
Old November 15th, 2004, 02:50 PM

I would have said irresponsible - not neglect or cruelty. One would hope that all pet owners would get their cats neutered - but not everyone does - hence we have a pet population. You don't know the reasons for people not keeping a vet's appointment - so cannot judge on those grounds. Maybe they went the following week. I do not feel that cruelty or neglect come into this. Money may be really tight for them at this moment. I do find some people over sensative on these sorts of matters. Now you can all start bashing me to kingdom come - but food on the table against a large vet's bill may be the reason.
Old November 15th, 2004, 03:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Well,Cyberkitten offered to pay for it,I think it's just an"I don't care attitude"...
Neglegtful and irresponsible,since he will undoubtedly impregnate several females who's offspring will either freeze to death or end up in shelters.
Neutering/spaying cats is a very basic neccessity if you love your cats and others.He will I am sure once again be found by someone,hungry and cold,hopefully Cyberkitten is around again...
Old November 15th, 2004, 03:07 PM
Senior Contributor

I know for a fact they did not go! The vet would have contacted me.
Old November 16th, 2004, 03:07 PM
Kitty Mum

Thanks for the kind words about my mum Chico And Bugsy, I hug this wonderful woman everytime I see her - next time I do it I will say one is from you

Louie's mum, it was definitely a story that was supposed to make you feel better The point is for a warm, fuzzy feeling and to show how sometimes we have to make decisions for the betterment of the animal even if others think it is the wrong one Only the person dealing with a situation first hand can follow a gut feeling of what is best.

You guys are so nice!
Old November 16th, 2004, 04:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Does anyone know what pitbulliest has decided to do with the kitty?
Old November 16th, 2004, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilith_rizel
Does anyone know what pitbulliest has decided to do with the kitty?
i sure wish we could get an update b/c the suspense is killing me!!!