Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 3rd, 2009, 08:44 PM
-

Advices needed , about blind Bailey

Some of you know that Bailey is now almost blind. Last vet visit (about 6 months ago) vet told me Bailey could just about only see shadows. I think now , it's much worse. He doesn't want to go outside if he doesn't have to.

There's 3 stairs to go from kitchen to sun room , and one step in sun room and another one from kitchen to dining room. He now searches with his paws for them. Which IMO , is good.

But he has started something else .... he will be laying down , lets say on his doggy bed in living room , and he will bark. Even if I speak loud to let him know where I am in the house, he will keep barking. Same thing outside. He won't get up when he hears me , he'll keep barking .... and I don't get why ? I think he might play the sympathy card ? Because if I go to him and pet him , he'll be very happy and wags his tail .... am I missing something ?
Old September 3rd, 2009, 08:50 PM
Senior Contributor

IMO, it sounds like he's calling for you to come over and give him attention. Obviously blindness can lead to insecurity in dogs, they'll find new ways to get what they want, to get around, and to seek attention. Does he stop once you've come over to him and physically touched him?

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old September 3rd, 2009, 08:50 PM
-

I forgot to mention that I will be taking him to the vet for another check up real soon.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 08:53 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey_ View Post
Does he stop once you've come over to him and physically touched him?
Yes but sometimes , as soon as I walk away , he'll start again ! So I'm trying to not give in .... I don't want him to think everytime he'll bark , I'll drop everything to go pet him. Sometimes I'm outside with the dogs and Bailey will be inside and bark .... last night , he wouldn't stop so I had to come inside and pet him.

On one side , I know he needs to be reassured but .... I feel like I'm reinforcing this if I go to him everytime he does that .
Old September 3rd, 2009, 08:53 PM
Molly's mama

aww Bailey, at this point, if I were you, I would just be showering him with attention even if he's playing you like a card!!!
that's all it is.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 08:54 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollywog View Post
aww Bailey, at this point, if I were you, I would just be showering him with attention even if he's playing you like a card!!!
that's all it is.
That's what I'm doing now but I think it may not be too good I may be creating a monster
Old September 3rd, 2009, 09:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Bailey is probably very scared that he can't see, but also cause he doesn't know where u and the other animals are. He most likely is feeling a bit isolated too.

Try spraying Pledge along the walls at nose levels so he can smell it and use that to get around more.

Is there something u could do in front of the steps to warn him that they are there? Like maybe a carpet in front of them well secured so it won't more or something else? A tactile strip of something close to the top and bottom of the stairs that he can feel with his paws?

Maybe hang windchimes in front of the outside door where he can hit them so they will ring when he is at the door so he can find his own way to the door and outside?

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old September 3rd, 2009, 09:39 PM

But what a wonderful monster you have! Not sure,but maybe he is jus needing some re-assurance that you are there and yes, Bailey will definitely play the sympathy card

Don't let someone become a priority in your life when you are just an option in their life.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 09:44 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra_Queen View Post
A tactile strip of something close to the top and bottom of the stairs that he can feel with his paws?
That's a good idea !! I think this will help. About the walls , he knows where everything is , he just doesn't like the steps.

and to think I may very well sell my house soon he may have to get used to a whole new different house .... but I know he can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusterBoo View Post
Bailey will definitely play the sympathy card
I think so too
Old September 3rd, 2009, 09:51 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Awww Bailey. I can't imagine a more wonderful dog to have play the sympathy card than him. Oh yes I can. Keesha. Well, she is just as wonderful. But she doesn't bark. She just won't move off the couch. Her hearing is going too. :sad: Is it possible Bailey's is as well?
I like Mollywog's advice. Just give him as much loving as possible. You just never know..... :sad:
Old September 3rd, 2009, 10:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Walnut had a stroke and seizure a couple of months ago (complications from HGE) and was 100% blind for a little while. We noticed that she'd bark at more stuff than usual. Not sure if it was just because she was using her ears more, therefore noticing more stuff (usually she's really sight oriented) or because the stuff she did hear was just more alarming because there was no way for her to check it out. I think it was a little of both.

Maybe he just needs your reassurance since he can't visually check stuff out anymore, therefore he's a little more insecure.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 10:55 PM

for Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Her hearing is going too. :sad: Is it possible Bailey's is as well?
This is what I thought too, maybe he can't hear you when you call out to him or he can't tell which direction it's coming from

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old September 4th, 2009, 08:06 AM
Senior Contributor

The first thing I thought of too was the poor Bailey is losing his hearing too and barking out of fear:sad:
Frenchy,I can imagine how difficult it must be seeing beautiful Bailey struggle..
Old September 4th, 2009, 08:38 AM
Senior Contributor

I too think it has something to do with reassurance. I also believe that maybe the hearing is going as well. Does he respond at all to the squeeky toy or any loud noises?
Old September 4th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Senior Contributor

Frenchy, I was watching "It's me or the dog" this weekend and a family had a blind dog. The trainer suggested putting a rug or rubber mat just before the steps, so that the dog would be alerted of the change. Maybe a rubber mat on a top step, and a rug on the bottom. That way, Bailey will know there is a change ahead.

As for the barking, I agree with the others. He might just want to know you are there.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old September 4th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Rottie owner and lover

I do not have any advice but Bailey miss you!!! I hope everything will turn out ok for you and him, and you can find an inbetween
Old September 4th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Senior Contributor

Awww poor boy. I was wondering the same thing about his hearing. I think he's probably scared, and a little lonely, and he just needs his mommy. :sad:
Old September 4th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I also don't have any advice, but wanted to offer you and Bailey some .

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 4th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Senior Contributor

With Annie being a senior and her hearing and sight dim, she barks for us also. I still use the 2 fingered whistle and she hears that and knows I am near so I don't have to run for her every time. It also gets her to follow the other dogs, because they all come running to see what mom wants and she just follows the pack. for Bailey

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old September 4th, 2009, 05:31 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Sounds like you could be creating a monster by going to him when he barks. I would try calling him to you to get the affection. Maybe with the promise of a treat first so he gets the idea.
I like the idea of the rubber mat before the stairs . Do the stairs have carpet on them or are they bare and a little slippery?

clm
Old September 4th, 2009, 06:23 PM
-

Yes he is also going deaf , totally forgot to mention that sometimes when we're outside , he'll be at the bottom of the patio stairs , looking at the patio and bark , thinking I'm inside , I come from behind him and call him but he still thinks I'm inside .... until I get right next to him , it's kind of funny because he wags his tail and just happy to finally see I'm there than he does a little dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm View Post
Do the stairs have carpet on them or are they bare and a little slippery?

clm
3 stairs in sun room have carpet. The step from kitchen to dining room is ceramic tiles , that is where I'll put something so he knows where it is.

thanks for the advices everyone , I guess I'll give in to the barking
Old September 4th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Frenchy this may sound crazy but if he is having difficulty with both sight and hearing you may want to consider using your foot as a tool. He may feel vibrations on the floor and for example if he is barking and acting like he cant see/hear you then you may be able to tap your foot on the floor for reassurance?? just an idea!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old September 4th, 2009, 07:32 PM

Hi Frenchy,
We had a little half staffy here, who ended up losing her hearing and evenually went blind because of her diabetes. We kept most of the doors closed so she wouldn't wandering into rooms were she could get 'lost'. I bought a tin whistle and that seems to help with the deafness. I also road it out for a while and was amazed at how she learned to negoiate around the house. Just keep reassuring him as much as possible and he'll figure it all out.

Every horse needs a little girl to love them !!!
Old September 4th, 2009, 09:12 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
Frenchy this may sound crazy but if he is having difficulty with both sight and hearing you may want to consider using your foot as a tool.
Yes I use my hands , learned that while fostering Ma Belle last year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonsteel View Post
was amazed at how she learned to negoiate around the house.

I know ! I fostered a blind st-bernard last year , one that never lived inside a house. I was totally amazed on how fast she knew where everything was , outside she knew where the pool was , the fence , etc ... just took 2-3 days !
Every horse needs a little girl to love them !!!
that saying is too cute