Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 9th, 2011, 06:13 PM

Question Fortekor Can It Cause Side Effects or Problems For Cats

My 14 yr old cat, Sam has been prescribed Fortekor to aid in the treatment of his CRI/CRF and he spits it out every time I try to give it to him. Has anyone ever had their cat or dog have a reaction to Fortekor?

The reason I question if he knows he shouldn't take it is I give him other meds without any problem at all. In fact he comes to me for his Buscopan when he needs it to stop the abdominal spasms from struvite crystals that he has had for over 5 years. He seems to know when he needs it and when he doesn't.

Since Fortekor is an ACE inhibitor it is similar to medication given to humans and can have serious side effects in humans.

Thanks for any information anyone can give me
Old July 10th, 2011, 01:00 AM

I haven't heard of/read any accounts of actual side effects from using Fortekor, and since I didn't use this for Duffy it's all speculative.

Did you get the Flavor Tabs or the regular ones? I wonder if Sam just doesn't like the taste

At this point if he's never actual taken the pills he wouldn't know how he reacts to this med.

Duffy was on an antibiotic in both liquid and pill form, she would still willingly come to get the liquid though would not swallow all of it because it tasted awful, she knew the sound of the bottle shaking so she knew what it was/when she was getting it and when given the same antibiotic in pill form took it without issue.

Was his blood pressure checked while at the vet?

According to Novartis, makers of Fortekor: "Although not demonstrated in cats, benazepril may cause hyperkalemia in some human patients with chronic renal failure." Other potential side effects include slight increase in creatinine when first starting and in rare cases fatigue or dizzyness may occur ~ which could be a result of already low blood pressure becoming even lower due to the use of Fortekor.

It's also mostly (85%) cleared via the liver in cats so there is less strain on the kidneys at that end compared to some other ACE inhibitors.

Tanya's site has some good info here: http://www.felinecrf.org/treatments....ace_inhibitors

Novartis: http://www.ah.ca.novartis.com/compan...fortekor.shtml
and the pdf package insert monograph for the Flavor Tabs and the pdf package insert monograph for the regular Fortekor

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old July 10th, 2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by growler~GateKeeper View Post
I haven't heard of/read any accounts of actual side effects from using Fortekor, and since I didn't use this for Duffy it's all speculative.

Did you get the Flavor Tabs or the regular ones? I wonder if Sam just doesn't like the taste
It doesn't say on the pills whether they are flavor tabs or not. They are oblong shaped and I was told to just give them the way I give his Buscopan so I assume they are the regular tabs.
Quote:
At this point if he's never actual taken the pills he wouldn't know how he reacts to this med.
I agree but Sam did this with Ampicillin and ended up having a severe reaction to it when I finally got it down him. Had to be rushed to the ER vet for treatment that time.

Quote:
Duffy was on an antibiotic in both liquid and pill form, she would still willingly come to get the liquid though would not swallow all of it because it tasted awful, she knew the sound of the bottle shaking so she knew what it was/when she was getting it and when given the same antibiotic in pill form took it without issue.

Was his blood pressure checked while at the vet?
I don't know I expect they took it in the back when they were drawing his blood but I wasn't told what it was so I assume it was within normal limits or my vet would have told me.

Quote:
According to Novartis, makers of Fortekor: "Although not demonstrated in cats, benazepril may cause hyperkalemia in some human patients with chronic renal failure." Other potential side effects include slight increase in creatinine when first starting and in rare cases fatigue or dizzyness may occur ~ which could be a result of already low blood pressure becoming even lower due to the use of Fortekor.

It's also mostly (85%) cleared via the liver in cats so there is less strain on the kidneys at that end compared to some other ACE inhibitors.

Tanya's site has some good info here: http://www.felinecrf.org/treatments....ace_inhibitors

Novartis: http://www.ah.ca.novartis.com/compan...fortekor.shtml
and the pdf package insert monograph for the Flavor Tabs and the pdf package insert monograph for the regular Fortekor
Thanks again for the links, they are very helpful

Tags
fortekor side effects