Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 4th, 2009, 09:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Bless you! I'm so glad u were able to get him in the cage and that u found someone to take care of him. The poor little fellow looks in such bad shape. I hope he will be ok. Thank you so much for helping him!!

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old June 4th, 2009, 09:47 PM

Thank you everyone for your help, I posted about Johnny Cat's plight on another message board that I'm usually on (not pet related) and everyone was so touched by his story that they have started a donation fund to help his angel pay for the vet expenses.

She'll be here tomorrow at 6:30 after work to pick him up. She's making a 2 hour trip to come get him. I love the power of the internet!
Old June 5th, 2009, 07:01 AM
Senior Contributor

OMG,what a relief,thank you
Whatever happens to him,he will be cared fornot if he is too sick,at least he will not die a lonely agonizing death in the wild.
He clearly must have had a home at one time,maybe he is someones lost kitty,not a dumped kitty
It must be a huge relief for you too,good job Sonic
Old June 6th, 2009, 05:07 PM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

Has there been any news? Did the lady pick up this poor soul and get him to a vet? Any updates would be appreciated.

Ginger and Hobo at the Bridge (Valentine's Day 2011) but NEVER forgotten <3...

"‎I have sent you on a journey to a land free from pain, not because
I did not love you, but because I loved you too much to force
you to stay" ♥ ♥

We do not have to wait for Heaven, to be surrounded by hope, love, and joyfulness.
It is here on earth and has four legs!
Old June 6th, 2009, 05:56 PM

Hello all, this is my first post on this board. I really hope everything works out for Johnny Boy! As an owner of 3 cats and an avid animal lover, I looked at those pictures and my heart broke. :sad:

Please keep us updated on his story, and thank you for being so loving to him! The world needs more angels like you!!
Old June 6th, 2009, 09:57 PM

A real miracle has happened to Johnny Cat. The people over on my other message board have raised almost $400 to put towards his care and vet bills. His angel came and picked him up Friday evening. He took to her instantly. He wasn't nervous about going into the car at all, it's as if he knew that only good things were ahead for him.

Here is some updates so far from his angel:
Quote:
Other than a few raowrs, Johnny was pretty quiet in the car. We did have a bit of a pooping incident but we took care of that when we got home. My car is going need to be aired out. He's a tad bit stinky right now, poor boy.

He's all tucked into the cat kennel in my laundry room. He had a bit of a sponge bath. I wanted to see if I could clean up any of his wounds and encourage them to keep draining. He has abcesses on both sides of his head. But he let me touch them, which is a good sign. He let me clean them up the best I could. I think the warm washcloth felt good to him. And I got a dose of antibiotics into him. He has a cat pan, some water and he had some food. It was funny, I'm used to feeding my cats who eat only eat about a tablespoon of wet food at a time. He had that scoop of food gone in a blink of an eye and asked for more

He is such a sweetheart, when I was washing his face he was purring and he had his tongue stuck out. He was definately someone's cat, no doubt, he is from house cat stock. . I was able to pick him up to transfer him to the other cat kennel without a complaint.
Here he is loaded up and ready to go

Quote:
Johnny did very well in the car and at the vet. The vet says that his injuries are not life-threatening if treated. The big issue is the abcesses/infection in his head area.

He is anywhere from 1.5 to 3 years old
The head wounds are the most serious, there are a few puncture, bite wounds.
His nose/face was so swollen he was having difficulty breathing
His tongue is ripped, looked like what ever he tangled with, tried to rip his face off.
He is missing a couple of the small bottom teeth, that's why his tongue sticks out
This wasn't his 1st fight, but she thinks most of his wounds are more recent.
He has lots of superfical scarring on his shoulders etc
He is missing a couple of toes on one of his back paws. We couldn't get a good look at it today though.

Today, he got a long acting shot of antibiotics, revolution and I have some stuff to give him later for worms and ear mites. The plan is to drop him off on Monday morning for the snip snip. She will neuter him either Monday or Tuesday. Which will thankfully get rid of the pungent odor of unaltered male While he is under, she'll clean out his ears, clean out the pus from his wounds, stitch up anything that needs to stitched and check out the toe situation. She's going to have her vet student bath him while he is out too. He may have to stay a couple of days based on what she finds when she does all that

In a couple of weeks he will need to go back for his shots. She doesn't want to vaccinate until he is healed. His body and immune system are under enough stress right now without adding in anything else

I stopped by my sisters on the way home and my nephew gave him a reiki session, he was hilarious rolling around on his back and trying to get closer to him. We brought him back home and my sis helped me set up the jumbo dog kennel I bought for him. He has a cat pan in one corner. Some soft towels in another corner and food and water. I'm trying to feed him every couple of hours, so that he's getting food but he is not gorging himself.

I asked my vet straight out, Do you think he will make the transition to house cat? Is there anything that gives you concern either health wise or temperment wise? She said absolutely not. He was very good natured when he was being examined, except for the temperature thing but who can blame him. She said she thinks he is a lover since it's evident he's not much of a fighter. He is starved for attention, poor guy just wants someone to love him.

Oh and he has been renamed sort of.... my nephew said he reminded him of the tom cat from the Aristocats. So I now give you Johnny O'Malley:
Old June 6th, 2009, 10:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Wow, this is so awesome. I love it when people come together and make the effort to save another soul. Puts a smile on my heart. Keep the updates coming!

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old June 6th, 2009, 11:03 PM
Senior Contributor

sonicsink, I was just wondering, because of all his wounds; is there some way the vet can check for rabies? I hope he doesn't have it, but you don't know if he has an up to date rabies shot, so I was just wondering with all the wounds he has.

I am so glad you rescued him and the people on the other forum got together to help this sweet boy! And thank your angel friend for me for taking him in. It just breaks my heart when animals are hurt.

Debbie

~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
Old June 7th, 2009, 09:09 AM

Here is another Johnny Cat update:

Quote:
He's been fed and had his litter scooped (Yay he used it and I didn't notice any spraying!) I gave him a bit of dry food last night and watched him eat. It dawned on me that his mouth must be pretty sore. So he's getting Whiskas meaty pouches for now. He's had 2 pouches so far this am.

He seems to be perking up more, and the wounds don't look quite as bad. But when I feel his head, it's still pretty swollen. I have to remember it's only day 2 of his antibiotics. The one right in front of his ear is still oozing a bit.

It was funny this morning, I wanted to give him a bit more of a sponge bath, he wanted nothing to do with the wet cloth But his desire to be petted outweighed his dislike of the wet cloth. So I would pet him and rub his head using the face cloth. Oh and bless be, the stench isn't quite as bad this morning. I feel a bit bad I haven't spent as much time with him as I would like. Today, i'm doing laundry so i'll let him out of the kennel when i'm down there and let him sniff around
I also messaged her asking about blood tests and she says:
Quote:
He'll be getting tested, I think they're going to draw the blood when he is out for his surgery. He'll also be tested for FELV - feline aids. I want to make sure he's healthy or at least someone knows what they're dealing with if he does have any health issues.

He nipped me this morning, but didn't break skin. As soon as I said, ouch Johnny that hurt, he backed off and started head butting me. He's going to need a lot of socialization so that he learns that's not appropriate. I think as he gets more attention and feels secure, those behaviours will go away. He needs to learn that that's not an acceptable way to express himself. Last thing I want is for someone to adopt him and then think he is agressive or him to nip someone
Anyone have any tips for the nipping? He did the same to me when I was petting him. It's like the petting was so good, he got way over excited.
Old June 7th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicsink View Post
Anyone have any tips for the nipping? He did the same to me when I was petting him. It's like the petting was so good, he got way over excited.
Sounds to me like those are just little love bites. Lots of cat do that when they're blissfully excited or a bit over stimulated. If they're just quick and gentle, I actually wouldn't do anything about it myself. Reprimanding the cat might make him anxious about the whole petting thing. A better idea is to just stop the petting session and walk away.

If the bites get harder or there seems to be more aggression behind them (tail is thrashing, ears are back, paws/claws latch on to your hand or arm), then the key is to stop petting before it gets to that stage. Watch for signals of over-stimulation, like the twitching tail, rippling skin, maybe the pupils dilate or eyes go wide. Stop all touching of the cat as soon as you see the signs and wait for him to calm down a bit.

Some cats have a quirk where they can't help themselves, they just go a bit squirrelly from physical touch, like maybe they're too sensitive. It's probably best not to place cats like that in a family with children. But I'm not sure that's the case with this orange guy. Little love bites like what cats give each other during prolonged grooming sessions are nothing to worry about and are not signs of aggression, just bliss.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old June 7th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Mickey, my angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
Sounds to me like those are just little love bites. Lots of cat do that when they're blissfully excited or a bit over stimulated. If they're just quick and gentle, I actually wouldn't do anything about it myself. Reprimanding the cat might make him anxious about the whole petting thing. A better idea is to just stop the petting session and walk away.
I'm glad to hear Johnny O'Malley is doing so well, thanks to you and his other angel. I'm sure he will make a fine companion to some lucky person or family. I totally agree with what sugarcatmom had to say. It definitely sounds like "love bites" to me too and best to just stop the petting session. I'm sure he will soon get the message that "love bites" are not appreciated by most "two legged" creatures. Thanks for keeping us up-to-date on his progress!
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009
Old June 7th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Live well, laugh often

What wonderful news that Johnny got some help and is doing well .
Old June 7th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Omg,thank you both for giving this boy a chance,hopefully there is no serious medical issues
It makes me feel really good seeing his pic,knowing someone stepped up and cares for him
Thank you very much!!
As for the biting,my Chico does that,does not bite down hard,but still,I quit cuddling him when that happens.
It could with Johnny be that you might have touched a sore spot.
Old June 8th, 2009, 08:54 PM

Another Johnny Cat update:
Quote:
Aiy! Not such a quiet ride home this time. Johnny mewed, meowed & yowled for most of the 40 minute drive home.

He had his surgery this morning and it was over in no time, they cleaned out his wound, shaved a bit of his hair, trimmed his his nails and gave him a bath. He is looking much much better. He was really agitated when the vet was trying to fill me in on everything, so we kept it short and sweet. The only time he would settle was when he was draped over my shoulder. She says it's b/c of the anaesthetic and the pain meds. He's wearing a plastic collar which is throwing him off balance.

I got him home and the poor guy was just starving. As soon as we got into the laundry room and I let him out of the carrier, he went right to the shelf where his cat food is. Little bugger, he is such a con. He had a light dinner and tried to convince me that he really needed more food. He's settled in now with a cozy blanket and a cat nip toy.

Johnny got to meet my mum this evening and I think she is smitten.

Sorry the pic is not the best, he was not in any mood to cooperate tonight.
Old June 8th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Kitty pimp

cats in cones look soooo pathectic

on the bitng thing just stop ypur hand and say ow ow ow it works!!!
Old June 8th, 2009, 09:37 PM

I just finished reading all the posts and boy did the first pictures of Johnny bring me to tears. God knows what happened to this poor boy. My heart just bleeds for him.

Bless you and thank you so much sonicsink for opening up your heart to help this poor soul and a big thank you to all his Guardian Angels who helped with the finances for the vet. It's people like you and Johnny's Angel that puts my faith back in humanity.

I pray that all his tests come out negative and that he has a full and speedy recovery from all his wounds.

I have a cat who also nips when he is over-stimulated, but I know now which signs to look for and when they do, I stop petting him and just walk away.
Old June 8th, 2009, 10:24 PM
Catlover2

sonicsink, Thanks so very much for getting such fabulous help for Johnny. You're an and the person who picked him up and took him to the vet. I'm glad he's getting neutered as that's what got him into all his scraps in the first place. He sounds like a very sweet boy and will make someone a lovely pet. I wouldn't worry about his biting. He's probably still sore and hurting from all that's been done to him. As others have said watch for signs that he's getting overstimulated, and if he does nip you make a sound of a cat or kitten that got bitten. Some cats don't realize how hard they're biting unless you make a sound. Rather than Johnny O'Malley, I think his name should be Lucky Johnny. Had you not managed to get him into the carrier , he surely would've got a terrible infection and died from it. Good job!
Old June 9th, 2009, 07:26 AM
Senior Contributor

SonicSink - you are good people! Not many would do what you have done and I must say that I am personally touched at your kindness.
Old June 9th, 2009, 01:07 PM
Skylar's Farm

Sonic, I'm just a few minutes west of you and we have had trouble with fishers, foxes, and racoons. Especially this time of year, they will try to kill almost anything to feed their own babies. Our Miss Mitten who was dumped here 4 years ago, will play out back during the day but we bring her in every day at 5 pm for dinner and a safe night indoors.
Of course today is crappy rain and guess who is sleeping upside down on my bed?
Many of these dumped cats regain their trust in people and make great pets.
Best wishes to Johnny cat. So handsome.

Last edited by Bina; June 9th, 2009 at 01:10 PM. Reason: typo
Old June 9th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Senior Contributor

WOW,it really warms my hear to see this boy being taken care and hopefully have a wonderful safe future.
Thank's Sonic and everyone else involved in Johnnys rescue
Old June 14th, 2009, 10:59 AM

These are the latest Johnny Cat pictures. He's doing really well, everyone who meets him falls in love with him, he is so loving to everyone. The only thing left to fix now are his stinky poops :P

Starting to look like his old self again:

Too busy weaving around legs to get a good shot of him:

Last edited by sonicsink; June 14th, 2009 at 11:10 AM.
Old June 14th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Sonicsink,Awww Johnny looks great,thank you for helping this little sweet boy out,he obviously had a home at one time.
Did you say he was already neutered??
Old June 14th, 2009, 07:13 PM

No he was still intact, he got the big snip last week. His angel says there have thankfully been no spraying incidents.
Old June 15th, 2009, 02:32 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh lookie at Johnny!! He is healing up pretty well. I am so happy for him that he has a loving safe home now.

~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
Old June 15th, 2009, 07:11 AM
Senior Contributor

That's great,a good life for pretty Johnny from now on
Old June 15th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Catlover2

Johnny looks fantastic compared to how he looked after his dreadful fight. That wasn't his only fight, judging by the notches in his ears. No wonder he's so loving, now that he's all fixed up, has a comfortable life and loving home. Good work!
Old June 15th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree,he's one lucky kitty,to have met a couple of's
Old July 7th, 2009, 10:57 AM

Just bumping this up to let everyone know that Johnny Cat is ready to go up for adoption. He is being fostered in Ottawa, but I'm pretty sure that his Angel will be willing to travel a bit to meet his new family half way (depending how far you are).

If you are interested, please email me at: sonicsink@yahoo.com and I'll pass your details along
Old July 7th, 2009, 12:03 PM
Senior Contributor

SonicSink - you are his angel! Bless your heart!
Old July 7th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Molly's mama

wow, what a thread, I just read it for the first time. talk about a survivor, Johhny cat looks beautiful now. Those first pictures really broke my heart.
that he finds his furever home soon!!!
and to sonicsink, you really were an most people would have just turned a blind eye to him, in the state he was in.