Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old October 22nd, 2008, 06:36 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

You didn't sound cranky to me, I was appauled (sp?) when she gave me the list of dogs she didn't like. I personally would have loved to hear an explaination on why she didn't like each one of the breeds she listed. I don't think she had any bad experience with dogs, the parents didn't mention anything when I spoke with them, and they didn't mind Zoe at all. The dad (well grandpa so I don't confuse anyone) commented on Zoe not being bothered by anything, that she liked to sit quitely and watch everything. They even had a chain saw running that day and Zoe just sat there with that look on her face like "what you doing to my shade tree?" I do believe she is a victim of media hype.
3+ cats......Surround sound
Old October 22nd, 2008, 07:30 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

WOW,
I just read this whole thread... what a read!
I couldn't imagine going through what you and Zoe have gone through this summer {{hugs}}
I'm glad things are coming around, but I am really hoping you can get a fence up this for this summer.

Hang in there.
Old October 22nd, 2008, 08:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Next time she asks if you can watch the child,just say that you can't as Jennie said.If your not comfortable,then don't do it.

It's nice though that Zoe has a little playmate.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 02:26 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennieV View Post
DCH, I think that you have one of those cases where its one step ahead, two steps back... You should definitely be clear about some rules, bring it up to her that you are not her babysitter and won't take that responsibility. The best time to do that would be the next time it happens, when she casually says : "oh, can you watch him for a minute..", you can just as casually answer that no, you can't, because a. you are busy, b. you dont want to take on that responsibility, c. you are no comfortable with her leaving you with her child, d. all of the above.
Also, about the food, talk to her and ask her if her child has any allergies, if yes or no - doesn't matter, either way, how would she feel if a stranger was feeding him something? I think she needs to start realizing, that Zoe isn't just your dog, she is your family and she better start treating her with some respect. Your yard is not a dumpster, where she is welcome to throw her old cookies, in hopes that your dog will eat them.
Great suggestions.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 12:19 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

I'm glad that things (overall) have been better with the neighbor. I would bet that she had no idea that raisins are toxic to dogs - there are alot of people that are fairly knowledgeable about dogs that don't know that. But even if raisins weren't toxic, dogs don't need human junk food. I would be very adamant that she not feed Zoe anything without your permission. I had a neighbor that would throw all sorts of left over food over my fence. My one dog would never eat it, but the other would scarf it down. Even though I asked him repeatedly to not do that, it escalated to where he would open the gate so that he could leave them containers of stew among other things. What was worse was that he would leave the gate open - my dogs got out numerous times, and one of them was deaf so she couldn't hear cars or anything to warn her, let alone me calling for her. I finally had to get mad and yell at him (the poor guy had alzheimer's).

I think the fact that she is into birds will work in your favor. It will be easier to educate her on the ways of dogs if you can relate the behaviors to similar bird behaviors (like being protective of territory).
Old October 23rd, 2008, 03:14 PM
Master of the Drool!

Holy!! What a summer!!!! Poor Zoe. My boys love playing with kids. (I have 4 two legged kids plus the boys) So Matt and Murphy think all kids should play with them. With my guys being soo big I try and educate the parents the best I can about Matt and Murphy so they don't get so nervous around a big dog. Mind you I have a 3 year old that crawls all over Matt and lays on him so that helps. I can't even imagine what you are going through. But I would be telling her that you are not a babysitter. I just can't believe that she would be that nervey after basicly insulting you and your dog. I would keep a journal. Just in case. Good luck
AHHHH They are a year old already!!!!
Old October 25th, 2008, 12:11 PM

I bet you are breathing a sigh of relief now that the summer is over and they've essentially disappeared inside. I would be too

I agree with JennieV that you should refuse to allow her to leave her child with you for even a minute. This woman seems insensitive to other people, totally wrapped up in herself.

If you run into problems next summer before you get a chance to put up the fence, and she says she needs to run inside for a minute and could you watch baby, you could say 'I was just going inside myself so no I can't.' However, that is not very direct and doesn't deal with the problem so the suggestions JennieV made are better.

I am so glad that period of extreme stress is over for you, I'm sure you are feeling much more relaxed now than at the height of it. You've done a great job dealing with her and her child!
Old November 11th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Senior Contributor

How are things going? Good i hope

Making more progress?
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Gone but never ever forgotten.
Old November 11th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

We had a few more playdates. The one was short because Mom wasn't participating. I just said that Zoe was going in the house because I can't contol both by myself......( I was having one of my short fuse days, so I was brutally honest).

The little guy cried and pitched a fit because the dog went in the house. She had a hard time getting him over to their yard because he was having one heck of a hissy fit. Oh yeah, another time they were just in the back yard and the little guy tried bonking Zoe on the head with a plastic shovel. That didn't go over well.

The next time Mom was participating 100% and it went well. Yesterday was hilarious because we had our first snow fall, and Zoe was having super zoomies. So we spent a good hour making snow balls and watching her try to fetch them. So all in all it's been good. Zoe ran up and gave the little guy a big kiss when he started crying because he didn't want to wear his mitts(loved the look on mom's face).....then she took off with one when he put his hand out.....lots of giggles watching me run around the yard trying to get a little weenie mitt out of ol'sloberpuss's mouth. Then he wouldn't keep his mitts on because he kept trying to give them to Zoe.

Hopefully it keeps going well......the two of them are a hoot.
Old November 11th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Master of the Drool!

Good for Zoe!!!! Just shows she has More class then the mom!!!! Glad things are better for you now
AHHHH They are a year old already!!!!
Old June 29th, 2009, 12:12 PM

how are things goin with you and the neigbour now
Old June 29th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

Thanks Kara1 for reminding me to post an update. I was going to do it earlier but forgot with all the commotion of a new kitty into the house.

This summer is going excellent so far

Zoe and the little guy are like peas in a pod when he is allowed over. I have worked up to him giving her treats, her favorite green milkbones. He knows to tell her to sit, and then gives her the treat. He has even started calling her by her nickname "boo". Mom seems seriously more relaxed, I even have her petting Zoe now.

Dad has got more involved and the little guy is supervised now by one or the other parent at all times. No more bolting into the backyard. I have started letting him take one of her toys home with him and then he brings it back at the play time I have set. If it is too hot out, they have to wait until later after supper when it's cooler. The mom asked if we could start taking a walk together some time.

A fence is still going up, work on it starts in the middle of July, have some renovations to do to. So it has been a complete turn around since last summer.....I don't want to jinx it, I really hope it stays the same.
Old June 29th, 2009, 10:41 PM

Smile

thanks i was curious how your situation was over there
Old June 29th, 2009, 11:51 PM
Senior Contributor

YEAH!! *Jumping up and down and doing the happy dance*

I am so glad things are going so much better than last year!! And I am glad that u are still going to put up a fence too. Don't forget to put it on YOUR side of the property line so they can't mess with it or if they move new neighbours can't mess with it.

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old June 30th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Hazel's Personal Servant

Good to hear! Having neighbors who don't like dogs is a royal pain.....i've got some.
Old June 30th, 2009, 04:42 PM

Fantastic News!

You deserve a lot of credit for introducing this mother and child to dogs in such a way that they have both learned how torespect and love them. Children who are afraid of dogs are often the ones who have bad experiences with dogs because they don't know how to approach them, let alone how to act around one. Congratulations!

I'm sure it is much more pleasant having them as neighbours now, a far cry from last year. I wish you and Zoe continued luck with them
Old June 30th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

I have to say that I am using both of them to help each other. And Zoe is the one who deserves all the credit, she is such a good dog and just loves little kids.

I have been teaching the boy how to pet Zoe, and Zoe has a problem with her bum. But she doesn't think of it when the little fella is around. She will even walk beside him patiently, with his hand on her back (or bum) when he is trying to go somewhere. It's like she knows not to move or he would tumble over.

The mother is the amazing thing, Zoe gives her the "get over here now and pet me!" bark. And she does, she will even sit down on the grass and give Zoe a belly rub.

It's totally amazing what animals can teach us humans. I was ready to build a brick wall between us.......Zoe walked us through it......and now things are going good. The mother and I sat outside one night until midnight just shooting the poop.........