Old March 11th, 2013, 08:50 AM
banned user

Help

I deleted my own thread and comments. My puppy Moses has diarrea first on blue buffalo that had been good then the runs started. I went to pet store and the owner sold me another brand of dog food which is also holistic and contained fruits, veggies and #7 ingredient flax he also sold me an enzyme which only increased his diarrea. Now I have returned him to Orijen all good here is the kicker Moses loves his other food i.e. banana, apple, oranges, pineapple, baby carrots and finally he loves organic lettuce. He also drinks allot of water having typed all of this because his poop returned to normal and I gave him his other food too now he is constantly pooing. I am wondering if I should discontinue the other food. He is also on probiotics. My vet mentioned that he had not gained very much weight his food intake now is slightly over 6 cups per day given twice daily and 1 probiotic. He had eaten banana, orange and lettuce yesterday Sunday. In my other thread I posted he is bloated not so that is because he has full belly other then that he is normal.
Old March 11th, 2013, 09:43 AM

How old is your puppy and how many food changes has he gone through and in what span of time? Too many changes will cause irritation in the GI tract and therefore you will continually have stool problems because of the irritation. My suggestion is to stick to 1 food for a good amount of time, use a probiotic (I prefer Forti-Flora - available at your vets office).

If after a period of say 6 weeks you are still having stool problems - then consider switching the food again (I actually prefer to wait closer to 3 months, but Loki was very fussy/sensitive to food). Also ensure you rule out anything medical going on by getting a fecal done.
Old March 11th, 2013, 09:56 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

How much does Moses weigh? Overfeeding a pup can also cause diarrhea or excessive poopin', and 6 cups of kibble plus his veggies and fruits sounds like a lot of food per day unless Moses is quite large?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 11th, 2013, 10:28 AM
banned user

thank you

Moses is 20 lbs approx. Vet mentioned under weight, I started the six cups yesterday only in evening and then today is when the diarrea started. I fed him first 2 cups he remained hungry so I gave him more. His father is an A.K.A Belgian Malinois mother Black Labrador but Moses is the mirror image of his father and has all traits of this breed. The question outstanding is why the nessicity for the thirst of water he is going on 5 months this month. I am going to remain to only two cups per feeding. The pet store owner gave me a product to break down enzymes but that only increased his issue. I give him probiotics one per day 1 billion. The pet store owner mentioned that why do I believe that shepherds are so skinny because they are incapable of digesting the protien in their system. I only switched from blue buffalo and this other holistic brand both containing Flax which started the entire problem both brands have combinations of fruit and veggies. I returned him to his second brand after I noticed that blue buffalo had been causing the diarrea now he is on Orijen. I probably sound stupid but here goes should I feed him two cups per meal or only one as mentioned Vet comment to thin and he had been treated for worms already and I noticed some small little fat ones in his poop one day and vet gave me this formula and poor little Moses pooed till the cows came home I stopped once I noticed that, comment from vet he has given that to thousands of dogs and it never happened before. He has no worms and is otherwise healthy and happy. I have to keep him away from anything that has flax in it. Now the water drinking is probably because of the diarrea that he is having to much fluid loss. Please assist me in feeding portions thank you
Old March 11th, 2013, 10:38 AM
Kitty pimp

well he is eating but not gaining weight is that correct? blood test normal??
he getting into anything i would make the fruit a very very ocaasional treat
lol if he is part retriever he will probably eat anything
Old March 11th, 2013, 11:29 AM

I'm having a hard time understanding what you're feeding now. Is it Orijen? And yes, overfeeding will cause tummy upset.
Old March 11th, 2013, 12:49 PM
Half Way To Crazy

some dogs don't do well with Orijen,mine didn't

have you checked on the bag on how much to feed??
at 20lbs 6 cups a day seems like a lot to me..you might be over feeding which would cause very messy poop..
Old March 11th, 2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze View Post
at 20lbs 6 cups a day seems like a lot to me..you might be over feeding which would cause very messy poop..
I agree.. we used to feed Loki Orijen and he would get 6 cups a day when he was over a year old, and about 120lbs..
Old March 11th, 2013, 02:53 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

6 cups does seem like an awful lot even for a puppy. I would split up his feeding too, half in the morning and the rest for his dinner. Maybe throw in a bit if pumpkin to get things firmed up and I'd cut the lettuce etc right down to just as a special treat. My old dog loved lettuce but she only got it as a treat, there's alot of water and fibre so bigger poops.
Old March 11th, 2013, 05:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Okay, my pups are 25 and 30 lbs at 3 months old and are eating Orijen large breed puppy. They each get one cup twice a day. Both are a healthy weight. When I increased it slightly for the larger guy he got soft stools immediately. Also, fruit will do that too.
Old March 11th, 2013, 08:18 PM
Senior Contributor

lettuce cause diarrhea in dogs so I would stop feeding your dog lettuce for awhile. I feed my dog Blue Buffalo and I do not consider it to be holistic. I would stop feeding your dog fruits for awhile too then feed him one fruit at time and see if cause him to have diarrhea . This is call the elimination diet it is use to help find which food a person or pet can't eat.
If you're feeding him a lot fruits and lettuce at once that will give him diarrhea and it not a balance diet . Bananas and apple are binding so if you really want to feed your dog fruit these two fruit will be OK . But you should not let your dog eat the apple seeds or skin.
Old March 12th, 2013, 05:04 AM
banned user

Talking Thank you

To everbody that answered I agree over feeding. I am not going to give him his faves only as an occasional treat. I did not feed him at all yesterday except for a cookie which is good for him. This morning he had a poop and all good. I am remaining with the Orijen as that is the only food my boy does not react to.
Old March 13th, 2013, 02:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by minmin12 View Post
..... he also sold me an enzyme which only increased his diarrea.
If you give enzymes while the dog is eating a food that doesn't agree with him, it will make things worse.

Some enzymes might make things worse too - pancreatic enzymes will make things worse if the dog is allergic to pork, some plant enzymes will make things worse if the dog is sensitive to things like papaya or pineapple.
Old March 15th, 2013, 10:37 AM
banned user

Talking Happy

I figured out the issue with Moses. I now feed him his kibble but, I add white rice to it. Not only has the diarrea stopped his stool has hardened where it should be. He has a sensitive stomach I have to be very vigilant with him.
Old March 16th, 2013, 05:50 PM
Senior Contributor

If you are already feeding a kibble, it probably already has a high amount of grains or starches. I would worry about long term addition of rice, since that does bind, but may not be addressing the problem?
Old March 18th, 2013, 06:59 AM
banned user

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxaLisa View Post
If you are already feeding a kibble, it probably already has a high amount of grains or starches. I would worry about long term addition of rice, since that does bind, but may not be addressing the problem?
He has a sensitive stomach vet mentioned hopefully he is going to grow out of it so I must continue with the white rice this is good for him and I feed him twice per day and only one up which is split during feedings