Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 4th, 2011, 09:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Covenia

After Tritan's surgery today, he was given a shot of Covenia(?) spelling...a long term antibiotic instead of tablets to be given orally.

I know this has been discussed before...but does anyone have any opinions or comments about the effectiveness of a one time shot as opposed to regular oral dosing of antibiotics? His surgery was in a very dirty area clinically - the perineum.

Thanks

Yes, I believe in the Rainbow Bridge
Old April 4th, 2011, 09:18 PM
chronically insane.

I've not had any negative experiences with it, but haven't personally used it for any of my cats. It's expensive so we don't normally have it at the shelters I've been at, but we've used it before for situations like say a feral cat that came in with an injury or illness.. not like you can give them a pill twice a day... We've used it on shelter cats every once in a blue moon as well and I've never seen any reactions or long term affects.

I do believe it stays in the system for quite a while though, longer than you would suspect. I don't really know why they would have used it for your cat if he is friendly and you could have just opted for pills or liquid instead Guess it was just easier for them to give him a shot and call it a day.

We still mostly use PenG at the shelter because it's really cheap and generally quite effective... I hardly ever see vets offices use it though which I don't understand because it's a really safe drug to use. Guess since you can't put a fancy label on it and mark it up a whole bunch...

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old April 4th, 2011, 09:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks Kathryn....he was discharged with pain meds and anti diarehea meds so he is getting pills anyway.
Maybe it was just the convenience. The cost was about the same as some oral antibiotics I have had before....around $35.00 for the shot I think.
At least I know he is being treated because of all the fecal matter the laceration came in contact with.

Old April 4th, 2011, 09:33 PM
chronically insane.

I suppose it may have greater effect on the types of bacteria the laceration came into contact then, and that is why they chose it.

I guess another reason might be because most oral antibiotics have the side effect of diarrhea or tummy aches so if your guy is already having potty troubles I guess it would be a good idea to choose an injectable vs. pills due to not wanting to make the tummy issues any worse.

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old April 4th, 2011, 10:40 PM
Willing cat servant

Scully got a shot of convenia once and everthing went well however I remember posting about it and one of the main concerns was that if the cat does not react well to the antibiotic then the poor kitty is stuck with a high dose of it that will last about 14 days.
Opinions are varied, my personal experience with it was not bad but for some it hasn't been as good for what I heard (well read)
Old April 5th, 2011, 06:46 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

There is a risk to any meds that are given, the problem with convenia is that once the shot is in, there is no stopping any ill effects the cat may have. There has been some rare cases of pretty serious side effects:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57265

I have given my vet instructions that my cats are not to be given this shot, except for Rose, who I can't pill or give liquid meds to. There is always the convenience of liquid clavamox if a cat is difficult to pill.

How is Tritan doing?

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 5th, 2011, 07:25 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
There is a risk to any meds that are given, the problem with convenia is that once the shot is in, there is no stopping any ill effects the cat may have. There has been some rare cases of pretty serious side effects:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57265

I have given my vet instructions that my cats are not to be given this shot, except for Rose, who I can't pill or give liquid meds to. There is always the convenience of liquid clavamox if a cat is difficult to pill.

How is Tritan doing?
He's doing really well....I think if there were going to be side effects they should be showing by now? It has been over 20 hours since he had it.
He is not the easiest cat to pill...it took 3 tries and finally I got the tramadol down this morning with a syringe of water as a chaser

I have never had any of my guys receive it before..they always got antibiotic tablets...usually clavamox, but as long it it keeps the bad guys at bay and he is not showing any problems.....

Old April 5th, 2011, 08:05 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Yay .

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 5th, 2011, 11:30 AM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Noella got a shot of it when she had the reaction to her sutures. Didn't seem to bother her at all. It worked! Now looking back, I should've asked for that for Nino!! Man, he's like a wildcat when trying to give him pills. Even the pill pockets didn't fool him!
Old April 5th, 2011, 11:32 AM
Pro Poop Scooper!

I've had problems with clavamox, they always seem to start throwing up by about the 3rd day.

Good to hear he came through the surgery with flying colours!!!