Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 11th, 2016, 02:41 PM

Does bravecto kill dogs?

Has anyone seen this page on facebook? There is one also called does trifexis kill dogs. There seems to be a ton of people who's dogs either become horribly I'll or died as a result of having used this flea treatment. My vet seems to think it's safe as last time I was there she encouraged me to try it. I declined, I've switched to all natural flea treatment, wondercide and diatomaceous earth which seems to work very well. Just wondering if anyone has had aNY issues with these flea treatments that Veterinarians seem to think is safe. Check out the Facebook page anyways and maybe spread the word to friends if they are using it. I can't imagine monthly ingestion of any type pesticide is going to have a positive outcome.
Old August 11th, 2016, 06:42 PM
Senior Contributor

I gave my dog an one month Nexgard pill and that made Marty sick ! He was vomiting and lost his appetite and was sleeping most of the day . A vet wanted me to give my 17 lbs. dog a 3 months flea pill and I told her "No way was I giving my small dog a 3 month toxic pill! I am so glad I put my foot down and said no . I won't be giving my dog anymore flea pills . He was vomiting in his sleep too.
Old August 12th, 2016, 06:22 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jotunleo View Post
Has anyone seen this page on facebook? There is one also called does trifexis kill dogs. There seems to be a ton of people who's dogs either become horribly I'll or died as a result of having used this flea treatment. My vet seems to think it's safe as last time I was there she encouraged me to try it. I declined, I've switched to all natural flea treatment, wondercide and diatomaceous earth which seems to work very well. Just wondering if anyone has had aNY issues with these flea treatments that Veterinarians seem to think is safe. Check out the Facebook page anyways and maybe spread the word to friends if they are using it. I can't imagine monthly ingestion of any type pesticide is going to have a positive outcome.
My Vet just told me about Wondercide, what is your experience with it? It is a pesticide you know, just it only targets certain insects. Still, it kills the insects so what's the stuff doing to animals that don't have octopamine neurotransmitters?

http://www.wondercide.com/natural-fl...or-dogs-evolv/

To answer your question, I have used the oral Sentinel on the dog, oral "I forget the name" on the cats, topical Revolution on the dog now and topical Revolution on one outside stray cat. I have had no problems. I also put Farnams Horse, Pony and Dog roll on fly repellent on the dog when we walk. It really keeps the deer flies from biting him. I put it on myself as well, it says NOT for humans but if they can't bite him they'll settle for me.
Old August 12th, 2016, 02:39 PM

I have no experience with Bravecto. NexGard was shown in studies to have an impressively high TD50. That being said, in the right person or dog, any medication can be harmful. It's important to be aware of this. While a medication can be safe to the majority, there are typically a small few who react badly. Take, for instance, birth control. Many woman are on it and for the majority, the side effects are non existent to minimal. However, if you take a look at the informational insert and read the possible side effects, it becomes clear that there are some people who can react very badly.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Old September 1st, 2016, 05:02 PM

I think the jury is out on this one, the internet guru on "is this true" type questions say "unproven"

http://www.snopes.com/bravecto-flea-and-tick-warning/