Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old May 5th, 2011, 02:40 AM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Calgary!!

Well, I finally got to Calgary!! That sign on the highway has been bugging me for a year and a half!! I've been seriously considering moving one more time to Alberta and Calgary is my choice.

So, I really like Calgary!! I was amazed at how clean it is! I love the way the downtown is. It sort of has the same feel as Toronto, not nearly as frenzied though and it doesn't smell! Toronto downtown is getting as smelly as NYC! So checked out all the LRT routes, I love the honour system and the free downtown trains, that's pretty cool.

Finally got to meet an online friend too! She reminded me that we've actually been talking to each other for about 4 years online!! She showed me an absolutely gorgeous dog park! Bayley would just love it! Even that was clean! So dog owners really care about what their parks are like..that's sooo nice.

So house hunting again! At least this time it will only be a 5 hour drive not a 5 day drive! Heehe even all the temp agencies are within a block or two of each other, I found all the ones I like without even trying!

I must be weird though...I love living out here..if I didn't need to work! I also love the city, but not so much little cities, Kingston bored me to death. Calgary seems like just a nice size, not as crazy as Toronto. Just over or under a million, depending on where you get the info. The scenery is gorgeous, actually saw the mountains That was exciting! OMG saw the Olympic Ski Jumps!! Not close up though but still those things are ridiculously huge!! I was like OMG!!! They don't look like that on TV!! Didn't get to Spruce Meadows, hope to be living there before the show season starts!!

It's more expensive than where we are now but I can get a real job, maybe even start a real career! Go back to real school! Take my dog on the bus!! For fun I figured out my Mom's income tax with AB info and she'd get back almost 3 times as much as she does here in SK! Damn should've moved 10 years ago!

The weather can suck there but hey it's Canada, I seem to remember an ice storm a few years ago, so that we had to move out of our house for a week, then had to get all the plumbing fixed cause of broken pipes!

So any Calgarians here? I think they're might be. I was looking at the Bowness area for living in. Any specific areas that wouldn't be good to look at?
Old May 5th, 2011, 07:18 AM
Senior Contributor

Welcome to Calgary! I'm pretty fond of it myself.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old May 5th, 2011, 10:30 PM
Senior Contributor

patty...that sounds wonderful!! u can bring dogs on the bus? wow!

If u want to know what areas not to move into..go to th police station and ask there.

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old May 5th, 2011, 10:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattymac View Post
Any specific areas that wouldn't be good to look at?
The northeast. It's cheaper there, but for a reason.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old May 5th, 2011, 11:34 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

I got that feeling when I took the Ctrain out there. Almost felt like Scarborough around Eglinton and north in TO. Bowness looks like a pretty decent area...I'm not rushing this time. It's really hard to move when your landlady brings you a bucket of fresh eggs and rototills a big garden plot to share!! Now to find another landlord like that!!
Old May 12th, 2011, 12:00 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

Hey Patty!!

Im in Calgary too, welcome!! I had to laugh at how excited you are, Ive been here for so long, I take the train every ding dong day, I work down town, and it really gets to me! Reading your post was refreshing and wonderful! I do forget how nice it is here!

Where are you staying right now? What kind of work are you looking for? We wil eventually have some furniture to give away when we sell the house, if you are in need of anything! Shoot me an email, I'll message you my address.

What dog park were you at?

Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III of the feline kind R.I.P my little guy!!

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet!

221/194/170(for next year)
Old May 13th, 2011, 02:04 AM
Senior Contributor

We lived in Bowness, one part of Bowness is quite nice, but not many rental properties in there, then theres the other part of Bowness.
It has always been known as a seedy part of town, the HA have or had a clubhouse there, and crime rate is a little higher in Bowness than other areas.
Falconridge and Dover are other areas I would suggest staying out of and Forest Lawn, it has the worst reputation due to crime and gang activity.
Calgary is a vast city, lots of great areas, but as with anywhere the nicer the area the more you will pay.
Wendellan~ Feline~ 10(ish)
Theedee~Feline~10(ish)
"Da-Goob"~ APBT/Dogo x (5-6ish)

"My Pitbulls are better behaved than your kids!" (my favorite bumper sticker)
Old May 21st, 2011, 10:30 PM
Senior Contributor

I think the sign says: "Welcome To Calgary, Heart Of The New West. " or at least the one coming in from the south of the city does.

Dover and Forest Lawn are pretty seedy but probably cheap - I should know as I once lived there in the late 70's and it hasn't changed much!!!

As someone else said, there's good Bowness and bad Bowness and they can be within a block of each other.

I guess it depends what you can afford but the west side of the city is closer to get to the mountains and the views tend to be nice. The southeast can be pretty nice further south.

I live a little southwest of the city, between Okotoks and Millarville, on four acres with Carol and Ruby and Pete and Daisy and Maude and Skyler and Polly. We lived in Calgary for 10 years, near the downtown before moving to the country and have been in the area for 24 years . . . . Carol has never lived outside of Alberta and I lived in BC once for 13 regrettable months.

Our home southwest of the city, where Abby once lived . . . .

Welcome to Calgary

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca