Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Pet photography > Pet photography - Pet pictures

Closed Thread

Old November 1st, 2008, 12:29 AM
Slave to Dogs and 1 Angel

Next, I was going to walk a dog that is in ISO, but when I went to the hospital no one answered my ringing of the doorbell. So, I wandered back to the kennels and took a Staffordshire Bull Terrier cross named Chance. He is really handsome, brindle in colour. I don't remember how old he is but he was found as a stray and no one came to claim him.

He is really easy going and well mannered on leash. Chance has moments when he acts all puppy like, wanting to jump on people and stuff. But he doesn't mouth or play bite. Plus as soon as you tell him "no" or to sit. He will stop, you can see that he is fighting to contain himself. His thighs and tail are all twitchy. He heels all by himself when walking on a leash. I actually tripped over him on our walk tonight, I fell right on top of him and he didn't freak out or anything. He was scared for only one moment as I was felling on him, but as soon as he realised that I wasn't about to attack him, he was alright. I took some skin off of my right hand on the asphalt. As I was kneeling there on top of Chance, he wiggled out from under me, came up to my face and gave me a lick. I think he was trying to say "Are you ok buddy? I didn't mean to walk right it front of you to sniff something and trip you up. I am sorry."

Since I was down at his level already, I decided I might as well pet the guy for a bit and rub him behind his ears. After I collected myself, we continued on our walk. It was really good, Chance didn't let any of the fireworks going off faze him at all. Plus he would stop and sit at the intersections when I ask him to.

After we got back, I got into his kennel with him for a bit of one on one time. Then it was time for bed for him.

Unfortunately there isn't a picture of him available yet, as soon as one turns up I will post it.
Old November 4th, 2008, 12:40 AM

Updates (03/11/2008) Monday Evening

There was a dog from last week that I was playing with for a bit, didn't have a chance to take him out on a walk. Just played with him in the volunteers' room for a bit. He was originally found on the Squamish Indian reserve. Didn't have a name or anything when he first came in. Then someone at the SPCA named him Austin. Actually, the mother and daughter who were walking him last week was calling him "Squamie".

Anyway, finally a few days ago his picture when up. I was kind of hoping to walk him tonight but when I got there. He was gone already. I don't see his information online either so hopefully he either got fostered or adopted.
Attached Images

Old November 4th, 2008, 12:52 AM

So instead of walking Austin, I got to walk Quantum instead. He has huge ears, this guy is an all round good boy. Knows sit and some other stuff. Doesn't really pull on leash and generally has good leash manners. Quantum got surrendered to the SPCA by his owner because he had hurt himself playing and his owner couldn't afford the vet bills. Now that he is all better, hopefully he will go to a new home soon.

Only minor incident we had was that during our walk, Quantum found a piece of bone in the leaves on a lawn. He wouldn't release it when I asked him to "Drop it". In the end, I took out my little bag of treats and pulled out a piece of beef treat. As soon as he saw that, he sat down all by himself and dropped the piece of bone on to the pavement.

I guess a niece piece of beef treat was much better than some dried up bit of bone.

Also, on our walk we encountered the lady who had her brand new leash destroyed by Karma. Since I had her new leash in my pocket, I gave it to her. Of course Quantum just had to try and jump on her for attention. After we both told him to "Sit" he did and got introduced properly.

Other than that, out walk was pretty leisurely.

PS. Dogs and their noses, it was dark out already and the lawn was covered with leaves and yet he still managed to find that piece of bone.
Attached Images

Old November 4th, 2008, 12:57 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I can't usually get into this thread because of my slow dial-up trying (and failing) to download all the pics at once--but my timing is good tonight! Got the first two as you were posting them!

Austin is so handsome I can see why he would get adopted fast. I hope that's what happened to him and he's in his forever home

And look at the ears on that Quantum! What a cutie! He sounds like quite the character, too!

You're doing a great thing spending so much time with these lovely dogs in need, Scuba!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 4th, 2008, 01:10 AM

Since I had actually gotten to the shelter early tonight, after my walk with Quantum there was still plenty of time. It was good since there were two dogs in ISO. Unfortunately one of them turned out to be Chance.

When I first went into the ISO kennel, something stank. I couldn't figure out what it was. Since I knew Chance and he seemed to recognise me, I decided to take the other dog out first. I didn't know the other dog and if something happened I would have more time to deal with the situation.

The other dog in ISO with Chance is Beckum, he is a mastiff cross, brindle in colour and he is approximately six. I don't really know what his story is. The stuff online and the info on the kennel is totally mixed up. So I guess it is something in the middle. Basically he had been hit by a car and got surrendered to the SPCA. I think?

His legs and hips seem all better know. I had seen him in the regular kennels last week. But now the poor guy has the doggie coughs. He is very strong, when I first went into his kennel to put a leash on him, he was jumping on me. As soon as I told him to sit though, he stopped and sat for me. I took this as a good sign and that even though he is strong, that he would be well behaved and easy to walk. Boy was I mistaken, as soon as we got outside. He wouldn't listen to me at all. No sits at the intersections for me and wouldn't heel either.

He knew what I wanted him to do, but he would just stand there looking at me.

But I was a big softie tonight, I figured the poor guy was stuck in ISO so I cut him some slack. Good thing was that even though he is strong, he does not pull too much whilst on leash.

Beckum did back his bum (no tail on this guy) all the way into some pretty thick ivy to do his number two. I had a real hard time trying to pick up all the pieces.

Chance was going crazy when I took Beckum out first, and he barked up a storm when we got back.
Attached Images

Old November 4th, 2008, 01:31 AM

When I finally got to Chance (unfortunately still no pictures of the guy), I finally figured out what that SMELL was. Chance had done a big big pile of number two in his kennel. I missed it when I was looking because the guy was standing over it before. It was just me, so I had to get a leash on Chance, tie him up in the corridor after a feeble attempt to wipe his feet (kept moving around too much). Then I had to move his toys and bed out of the kennel. I picked up most of the poo with a bag and hosed out the kennel. Got some disinfectant soap, scrubbed it out, hosed again and then squeegeed. Plus put everything back into the kennel. All whilst Chance was barking and whimpering.

Poor guy, I guess no body had checked up on either Beckum or him in a long time. I mean, five minutes into out walk, Chance did another number two. That means, no one had taken them out or checked up on either of them for hours.

Chance was all big puppy with me tonight. Even though he kept getting distracted, he walks really well on leash. I knew from last time that he actually heels on walks so I didn't trip over him tonight. The thing was that, midway through our walk, Chance got distract by someone walking another dog across the street. He turned to look at them, when I finally asked him to keep walking. He just ran up to me, he actually head butted me on my leg. The left side of me knee on my left leg. There is actually a bruise. Chance acted like it was nothing though. At first I thought he had hurt himself or something, it was a pretty hard hit. But he just gave me one of those dopey looks of his and started walking.

The guy is such a clown, later he tripped over his own legs climbing in and out of this flower bed. It was so funny, of course when I laughed at him he gave me a sad look. Then he wanted to follow this young girl and her dad home, he was actually standing on their steps. When I told him he can't and that we should head back to the SPCA. He turned around and proceeded to trip over his own legs going down the steps. Even the little girl was giggling.

As soon as I get a picture of him, I will post it.

Last edited by Scuba; November 4th, 2008 at 01:33 AM.
Old November 4th, 2008, 03:38 AM

Austin & Quantum are adorable for quick adoption for them both

Beckum that boy has got such a sad soulful face he gets better soon & adopted soon after

Great work w/Chance & the kennel clean up, poor guy wanting to go home w/the little girl he gets his own family soon

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old November 6th, 2008, 12:59 AM

I mentioned a Husky cross named Robbie a few posts back. They have finally posted his information and picture online.

You can't tell from the picture but Robbie is a small fellow, very handsome though.
Attached Images

Old November 6th, 2008, 01:54 AM

If I wasn't in a no-dogs-allowed apartment I would so adopt Robbie he is adorable

Old November 6th, 2008, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by growler View Post
If I wasn't in a no-dogs-allowed apartment I would so adopt Robbie he is adorable
I could try talking to one of the vets, maybe they will be willing to fill out some papers stating that Robbie is a really funny looking cat?
Old November 6th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
I could try talking to one of the vets, maybe they will be willing to fill out some papers stating that Robbie is a really funny looking cat?
Maybe that would work

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old November 7th, 2008, 03:05 AM

how ever much I would love it I know I'd get kicked out of the building which seriously has the cheapest cats allowed rent in a nice/convenient area (they already did that to one renter who adopted a puppy shortly after moving in) :sad:

Old November 7th, 2008, 03:09 AM
Live well, laugh often

Robbie is adorable .
Old November 7th, 2008, 03:12 AM
-

I am in love with Robbie
Old November 8th, 2008, 12:31 AM

Update: Friday evening (07/11/2008)

Tonight, due to the rain I had to take the bus and I got there at five minutes pass six and everyone was gone already!! I would have thought that with the bad weather not a lot of people would show up.

I was really looking forward to walking Robbie or Quantum. Well, Robbie was out already and it turns out that just that afternoon Quantum had been transferred to Port Coquitlam (city in Vancouver) for fostering.

Luckily I was looking online and found another picture of Quantum. Him and his big ears.
Attached Images

Old November 8th, 2008, 12:39 AM

Since everyone was out, I helped the coordinator with the kennels again. I was going to walk Beckum and Chance in ISO but he had sent someone already.

Just as I was starting, Robbie came back and even though I was next in line I let someone (more volunteers had shown up after me) else take him. Just as I was finishing up. My old buddy Brewster came back and I took him out for a little tiny bit 5-10 minutes at the most. I was hoping for a longer walk but Brewster was acting up again, I don't think he wanted to walk since it was pouring down with rain. I had taken a couple of blocks and suddenly he just sat down and wouldn't go for me anymore. Once I turned around, he was practically bolting to go back to the SPCA.

He got a little too excited and started mouthing the leash, then my hand and arm. If he continues to act like that, people are not going to want to adopt him. *sigh* He can be so well behaved and then suddenly all hell breaks loose.

He was even trying to mouth another volunteers jacket back at the shelter.

At least he sat still for me to towel him off.
Old November 8th, 2008, 12:43 AM

Then I was just running around trying to towel off the dogs that were starting to come back in. The coordinator wanted to try to close up early tonight.

One of the lady that started volunteering at the same time that I did came back with Brandy. She is a golden cross and is a senior at 12 years old. She has a permanent limp in one of her legs from an old injury. That doesn't hold her back though.

Such a sweetie pie. Since she has a long coat, I made sure to towel her off extra carefully. All the while I was drying her off, the lady that took her out was feeding her treats.
Attached Images

Old November 8th, 2008, 02:55 AM

for Quantum in foster he's got such cute ears

Brandy looks like a sweetie for a furever home soon

Old November 8th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Senior Contributor

It's great that there are so many caring people walking those pups,ideally of course they should all have good homes,but people like you makes their shelter-time more bearable.
What is Brandys story??? Too bad you are not in Montreal,I am sure Frenchy would make room for this little old girl..
Old November 9th, 2008, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
It's great that there are so many caring people walking those pups,ideally of course they should all have good homes,but people like you makes their shelter-time more bearable.
What is Brandys story??? Too bad you are not in Montreal,I am sure Frenchy would make room for this little old girl..
Yupe, it has been super lately. I only started walking Friday nights as well because I heard that they were short handed. When I first started Fridays a few months ago, there were some nights when we didn't really have enough volunteers but lately it has been alright. I don't mind if I show up and there are more people than dogs. There is so much other stuff to do at the shelter for the dogs other then walking them. Pretty much a never ending list. The surprise for me has been that even though the weather has been kind of with all the rain, lots of volunteers are still showing up.

One of the reason I guess is that a lot of them are new volunteers. There has been new orientation sessions and classes. I would like to see more volunteers fulfill the whole six months period of volunteering though.

The story behind Brandy was that she is getting some health issues now due to her age and her people family can't take care of her now (YEAH RIGHT, probably just don't want to). I have seen people bring in their pets to be surrender and everyone has a sob story to tell. Ok, there are some situations where they are telling the truth but most of the time it is just excuses.

Brandy is so sweet though and she doesn't let her limp hold her back.
Old November 9th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Scuba,I just do not understand people who can be so heartless to let this wonderful old girl maybe live out her life in a shelter,how do they sleep at night
Hopefully someone will give her a chance
Old November 11th, 2008, 12:28 AM

Updates for Monday evening (10/11/2008)

Daisy Mae got fostered

I didn't see Robbie or Alex but knowing those two, I am betting they got adopted. *Sigh* I never got to walk with Robbie. Only play with him at the shelter.

Since it wasn't raining in Vancouver and I had just fixed up a road bike (fixed it up so that instead of being totally broken, it is just mildly broke and slightly road worthy). I got to the shelter early, and since I saw a new resident, Bentley, I decided I would take him out first.

He was so well behaved at the shelter, then once we were out the gate. All semblance of order disintegrated. He wouldn't sit for me, doesn't even answer to his name and pulled like crazy. On the notice, it said that he got surrendered to the SPCA since his family was moving homes. The thing is that, you can tell right away that this guy has never been properly walked and has zero training what so ever. Also, if a dog won't answer to his/her own name, it is a good indicator that they haven't had a lot of interaction with their human family either.

For a little pit bull cross he sure did a good job of imitating a sled dog. He was pretty goofy looking though tonight. Since he has a fairly short coat, one of the staff was worry that it would be cold for him and made the coordinator and I promise that we would keep a coat on him. She had put on a blue coat for Bentley before and it did look good on him. On our walk, people were complimenting Bentley.
Attached Images

Old November 11th, 2008, 12:38 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Bentley is a cutie, even if he does need some walking etiquette lessons.

I love hearing about the dogs there, especially when you find out they've been adopted. You care so much for them--they're very lucky to have you come help out!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 11th, 2008, 12:40 AM

Then I had to handle Beckum and Chance in ISO by myself again. There were some other volunteers by the time I was back with Bentley, but they either had pets at home or weren't comfortable walking the two brutes.

At least tonight, Chance didn't leave me a surprise. I took Beckum out first, since he is the more difficult of the two. He knew what was going to happen when I went into his kennel with a leash and collar. His bum was wiggling like crazy and he was barking up a storm. The problem was that he was too excited and it was really difficult to get the collar on him. Beckum managed to head butt me in the face twice. He actually managed to split my lips, I didn't notice though until I tasted blood.

I would tell him "sit" and he would then as I am trying to adjust the collar around his neck, which would normally take all of 3-4 seconds became a struggle of the titans.

Beckum does seem to be doing much better, not coughing as much and much more energetic (is that good or not?).

Even with a stuffed up nose, he still managed to sniff out a piece of bread in a bush and then half an hour later another piece in some long grass.

Funniest thing was at one sniff and pee stop, he turn to cock his right leg up to the bush. He did a piddle and when he turned back to the other way, I thought he was done and we were going to continue walking. Boy was I wrong, now he cocked his left leg up and piddled in the exact same spot. First time I had seen any dog do that.
Old November 11th, 2008, 12:51 AM

Next up was Chance, you would think that from the way he was vocalising that I was abusing him because I took Beckum out first.

After getting beat up by Beckum trying to put a collar on him, I got beat up by Chance for doing the same thing. However this time I caught a paw to my face and one of Chance's nail cut me on my chin pretty deep. *sigh*

Chance was easy to walk though, no trouble once we got outside. He did want to go and check out the kitties in their ISO kennels. I tried to discourage him from doing that. One kitty was pretty lonely though, he/she was mewing up a storm everytime I went by the door. Chance also had to check out my new*ish ride that I had parked out in the corridor. Chance is a smart boy, he actually stood up and pushed on the push bar of the door to go outside!

Once we were outside, you should have seem his tail flying from side to side. If his tail could go just a little fasted, I swear his bum would lift off the ground.

On our walk, a lady walking her black with a bit of white on the chest pit bull terrier wanted to say hi to Chance. Chance of course was ok with that and was all play bowing and *roo rooing* but since he is in ISO at the moment I had to tell the nice lady "no". I did explain to her the reason behind my refusal.

Other than that, Chance only managed to "almost" trip me up once tonight.
Old November 11th, 2008, 01:59 AM

Good for Daisy Mae fostering will help her get adopted faster
for Alex & Robbie

Bentley is adorable poor guy w/no social skills :sad: paints a very poor picture of his former home life :sad:

Poor you getting beat up by both Chance & Beckum tonight

Chance is a clever lad pushing on the door bar

Great news for both the ISO boys getting better

Old November 13th, 2008, 08:09 PM

Finally got hold of a picture of Chance!

I have been checking on the Vancouver SPCA website almost everyday. Finally got hold of a picture of Chance, I guess this means that he is out of ISO now. I will know for sure tomorrow evening.
Attached Images

Old November 13th, 2008, 10:22 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
She is a golden cross and is a senior at 12 years old.
This is why I keep away from this thread

Chance is gorgeous !
Old November 14th, 2008, 03:32 AM

Awww Not only is Chance a clever boy he is a handsome one too

Old November 14th, 2008, 10:54 PM

Friday evening update 14th November 2008

Beckum and Chance are both out of ISO and doing fine.

Bentley isn't allowed any treats and is on a special diet due to allergies.

The weather was pretty wet and cold this evening with the rain. Still lots of volunteers showed up so all the dogs got to go out pretty much at the same time.

I never had a chance to walk Brandy before so I decided to take her first. She was pretty easy to walk. Lots of enthusiasm for someone who has a limp. Only thing was that Brandy was giving me some sass tonight. She would sometimes want to go in one direction when we needed to be going the other way. When she didn't get what she wanted, she would sit down look at me once and then turn her back to me.

But with some patience, coxing and trickery I was able to get us back on track.

Since I am still a little under the weather, after I got Brandy back to the shelter, I decided to call it a night. I did say hi to Copper and some new residents on the way out.

Last edited by Scuba; November 15th, 2008 at 02:37 AM.
Closed Thread