Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 8th, 2010, 02:28 PM

is it legal to leave dog in car

Hi,

I am planning to have a road trip with my dog on coming Sat Sept 11.

is it legal to leave dog in car if I went into a restaurant for dinner around 7 to 10pm?

my dog is Cairn terrier

thanks
Alice
Old September 8th, 2010, 02:35 PM
-

I guess it is legal , depending on how the weather is outside. If it's too cold or too hot , people can call police and they'll break into your car to save your dog. Also , I can't begin to tell you how many times we hear about distressed pet owners who get their car stolen , and never see their dogs again.

IMO , not a good idea to leave a pet so long in a car.
Old September 8th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Senior Contributor

As far as I know it is as long as the temperature is not too hot or too cold and they have fresh air and water. I would also leave a note stating where you are and with your phone number if you do leave the dog in the car. Just take every precaution to make sure the dog is safe. I would tend to as much as I hate it eat at drive thrus
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old September 8th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Senior Contributor

It's not generally illegal to do so, but like Frenchy said, you have to be careful and the unexpected can happen. I have reported cars to the police when it's been hot outside and sunny. That said, due to my dogs separation anxiety I take both my girls in the car with me often - just not in the summer when it's hot, and not in the winter when it's sunny. They are more than content to wait in the car (even in the cold) and have spent many long evenings there (we do go out and check on them and bring them treats if we're out for dinner). Now you have a small dog that could easily be stolen from or with your car, my two weight 70 lbs each and a person would be nuts to try to steal my car or dogs!!! Bottom line, while not illegal you need to be extremely alert and cautious at all times when leaving your dog in the car. You also want to make sure there's nothing the dog could eat in the car that would make him/her ill such as air fresheners, etc.
Old September 8th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Hopelessly devoted 2 dogs

NEVER leave a dog in the car

IMO, and the SPCA's, in every case it is not a good idea to leave a dog in the car. Just like you would not leave a child in a car because something COULD happen.
However, if you do and the dog is in any kind of distress, including barking, howling, crying... you should expect that someone WILL call the police who will break the car window, (which will certainly add to the dog's anxiety) and remove your dog from the car, your dog will be sent to the local shelter, and you will be required to pay a fine before getting your dog back. (not to mention the damages to your car)
Depending upon where you live this could be considered an act of cruelty, neglect and/or abdonment, AND if this went to court you could not only lose ownership but be prevented from owning any animals for however long the judge rules.
Don't risk your fur-baby, leave the dog at home where he/she is comfortable and familiar with the surrondings. Have a freind or neighbour check on them or hire a dog sitter. Your furry friend will happily greet you with tail wags and kisses when you return.
Old September 8th, 2010, 08:30 PM
Senior Contributor

We have left our dog in the car at a restaurant. If we do it has to be cool out so we can leave the windows only open a bit to prevent his escaping and we have to see the car from where we are sitting. If not it's drive-through or take-out. Or picnic packed at home before we leave.

You're having a three hour dinner? Meeting friends on the way? Tough one. It's nice to take doggies with you on trips and vacations and see your friends too, but three hours, (and won't it be dark?) is a long time.
Old September 8th, 2010, 10:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Alic, why not go into the restaurant order something from the menu for take out and go and sit in the car and eat it or find a picnic area to go to? If your stopping to eat to get out of the car and stretch, instead after u eat in the car take your dog for a walk to stretch instead.

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old September 9th, 2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
We have left our dog in the car at a restaurant. If we do it has to be cool out so we can leave the windows only open a bit to prevent his escaping and we have to see the car from where we are sitting. If not it's drive-through or take-out. Or picnic packed at home before we leave.

You're having a three hour dinner? Meeting friends on the way? Tough one. It's nice to take doggies with you on trips and vacations and see your friends too, but three hours, (and won't it be dark?) is a long time.
it is my friend's bday. she want to dine in.
My dog is used to stay in car and sleep. But I never leave her in the car for more than 2 hrs

it is the restaurant we will go... Weather forecast says that temperature on Sat will be 21 to 16 C if I bring my dog along I definitely park a spot I could see her or somewhere I can check her every 30 mins

http://www.kalendar.com/contact

I think it is good idea to go to restaurant on Friday before deciding if I will take my dog along...

I love my dog and want her to explore the world
Old September 9th, 2010, 02:29 PM

My friends and I will head out around 9 and arrive Royal Garden around 10:30 or 11am.
if we have 3 or 4 hr walk, is it too much for a 15 month cairn terrier dog?

thanks
Alice
Old September 14th, 2010, 12:28 PM

wonderful trip

Hi everyone,

My dog and I had a great time on Sat. I took my dog to Hamilton and downtown tomorrow. My Good girl was very behaved. She didn't cry when I leave her in Car for one hour.

I definitely will take her for another road in Oct.

I would only take her for road in cool weather.

thanks for all of your suggestion

Alice