Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old September 8th, 2011, 03:21 PM

Greyhound Feeding Advice

I have an 18 month old Greyhound cross (90% Greyhound and 10% Scottish Deer Hound) and am having a lot of trouble finding a food that agrees with her. The only information I can find is directed at ex-racing dogs.
I was wondering if anyone out there has any advice on what to feed her, I have tried Go!, Now! and are now on A Taste of the Wild, lamb variety but she suffers from boughts of loose mucasy stool, vomitting, and not eating anything but grass. There is nothing physically wrong with her, she's been checked out at the vet so I'm assuming it must be the food.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old September 8th, 2011, 06:35 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Welcome to the site! youll find lots of great info and friendly folks as well!

We switched a number of years ago to Orijen. Its a little bit more expensive but I think the quality is there. Its a break down of 80% meat 20% fruits/veg etc. There are no by products in it and no grains. My dog has loved it since I switched him over and it has agreed with him very well. He was on vet food for yrs for gastro issues and this changed all of that. Maybe purchase a small bag and see whether your pup likes it??
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old September 8th, 2011, 11:29 PM

I have 3 italian greyhounds. For years I had them on a holistic kibble you could buy from Walmart called Actrium. It is cheaper than most kibble but has all the ingredients that matter. I also mix a big batch of satin balls and add a small bit to the kibble along with a TBSP canned pumpkin (not the canned pumpkin pie mix.) It keeps their tommy settled and they don't get runny stools. Can give that a try.
Old September 8th, 2011, 11:37 PM

Have you only had her on lamb variety or have you tried other flavours?

How long is she on a brand/flavour of food before changing to something new? and are you doing a slow transition to the new food or a full change all in one day?

Generally it is recommended to try a new food for at least a week or two unless the reaction is far too severe to continue.

A gradual food transition usually goes like this:
Week 1-2 1/4 new 3/4 old
Week 3-4 1/2 new 1/2 old
Week 4-5 3/4 new 1/4 old
Week 6 -7 all new

schedule can be adjusted to smaller increments/longer time frame as needed

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old September 14th, 2011, 05:31 PM

Thank you all for responding.

My concern with Orijen is the high protein content as I've read that Greyhounds should have a lower protein diet.

I have only tried the lamb variety of Taste of the Wild. She has been on each type of food for several months and I have done a slow transition to all the foods I have tried.

I am now considering a raw or homemade diet, but there is so much information and more opinion out there both for and against that it's hard to make an informed decision.

Cost isn't an issue, I'd rather have her healthy and happy than save a few dollars.
Old September 15th, 2011, 12:01 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Have you tried a probiotic, ktj001? Sometimes evening out the balance of fauna in the intestine can help with digestive issues. And you can pick up some acidophilus pretty cheaply at places like WalMart! Might be worth a try, anyway.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 15th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Senior Contributor

I would suggest a venison or bison based food. I had a dog with a very sensitive tummy and these meats really made a difference for her.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old September 20th, 2011, 12:55 PM

She gets a probiotic and salmon oil in her food everyday.
Old September 20th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

I know I'm a bit late on this one, but our old boy had all the same symptoms... for YEARS. They kept telling us he was perfectly healthy, nothing physically wrong with him. He had a really bad bout of diarrhea with a lot of blood a couple of years ago, so we rushed him to a vet in the new town we had moved to and they diagnosed him with Colitis! They said he likely had it since he was a puppy, and it's not easy to diagnose. In fact, none of the blood tests that we had done over the years indicated anything at all.

We now have to feed him smaller amounts more times a day and make sure he has something in his tummy before bed. He also gets yogurt daily along with a probiotic. He hasn't had a bout of colitis in awhile now. He still has them occasionally, but nothing like they were before. Good luck and I hope you can figure out the issue!

Oh, one more thing... Thorin can't take Salmon oil at all. It gives him loose, mucousy poops. He has cancer, and just finished his chemo. Salmon oil is very beneficial to cancer dogs, but again, his tummy can't take it. I do feed him a cup of fresh cooked wild Salmon daily and he seems to be fine with that.

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old October 17th, 2011, 12:55 PM
Ma to Lyra and Loulou

I have my greyhound-pointer crosses on Inukshuk dog food (26/16) mixed with a puppy stew of ground meat, brown rice, organ meats from whatever got hunted that week and veggies (peas, carrots mainly). Occasionally, I'll give them some non-fat cottage cheese or yogurt.
I've noticed that my girl is predominantly greyhound is more prone to digestion issues (loose stool, flatulence) and is a pickier eater.

Tags
food, greyhound, sighthound