Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Amphibians - rabbits - reptiles - rodents - exotics

Old June 12th, 2017, 11:06 PM

Painted Turtle Laying Eggs

I cannot believe my luck! I witnessed a painted turtle laying its eggs beside my deck. How cool is that

Sorry the pics keep turning sideways
Attached Images

Old June 13th, 2017, 11:26 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Oh, that's awesome! You might want to put a little fence around the nest so you can keep track of it. Maybe you'll see the babies dig themselves out!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 13th, 2017, 10:02 PM

Hi Lynne:

Your pictures bring back fond memories of when I used to travel around your neck of the woods and I can remember going out of your town north, this time of year, and the highway would have skads of painted turtles crossing it in order to get to the other side to go into the swamps and lowlands to lay eggs.

Not to mention all the little green frogs, especially on a damp day, crossing the highways. This is going back a few years when there were little green frogs.... we used to catch for fishing. This is going back before the time of the bypass around your town.
Old June 14th, 2017, 02:51 PM
Senior Contributor

I love turtles so this is really cool ! Is there a pond near your house that the babies can get to ?
Old June 14th, 2017, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
I love turtles so this is really cool ! Is there a pond near your house that the babies can get to ?
Yes the turtles come out of the lake and make their way up the back yard. I've seen four more in the last few days so it's going to be a stampede once they all start hatching. 🐢🐢🐢🐢
Hopefully I get to see them!

Here's a picture (sorry it's sideways) of the water so not too far for the babies.
Attached Images

Old June 15th, 2017, 09:13 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Your place looks like a turtle paradise! Should be fun when they hatch! Do you know how long it takes before you can expect to see any babies? Or does it depend on the weather?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 22nd, 2017, 11:00 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

It's a shame so many nests get predated, but I suppose a turtle egg is a nutritious little package and nigh unto irresistible to the local predators. I wish we were closer--we have a bunch of old wire dog kennels that might work to protect the nests!

Old June 23rd, 2017, 02:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Is there any wildlife rescue centers near you that you borrow crates from to protect the eggs ?
Old June 24th, 2017, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
It's a shame so many nests get predated, but I suppose a turtle egg is a nutritious little package and nigh unto irresistible to the local predators. I wish we were closer--we have a bunch of old wire dog kennels that might work to protect the nests!
It is a shame Hazel but like you've said, an egg is nutritious. Two more painted turtles laid eggs in the backyard this afternoon. DH had to put down tools and wait about an hour for the girls to finish their nests and head back to the lake. We feel so protective of them now and realize that if all these babies hatched there would probably be no room in the lake for anything else.

Snapper nest protected. Painted trying to nest around the snappers nest
Attached Images

Old June 14th, 2017, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg View Post
Hi Lynne:

Your pictures bring back fond memories of when I used to travel around your neck of the woods and I can remember going out of your town north, this time of year, and the highway would have skads of painted turtles crossing it in order to get to the other side to go into the swamps and lowlands to lay eggs.

Not to mention all the little green frogs, especially on a damp day, crossing the highways. This is going back a few years when there were little green frogs.... we used to catch for fishing. This is going back before the time of the bypass around your town.
Reg you probably know this town way better than me......we moved here about a year ago and still figuring out where things are. Sometimes I have to use the GPS