Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 5th, 2014, 08:09 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Eye goo in cats

Hi members!

Just curious about something - Twiggy and Baci (Sphynxes) both produce a lot of eye goo and tears in the corners of their eyes. Sphynxes DO have this tendency but I was curious if other people's cats also produce eye lots of eye-goo or have issues with tearing.
(Our last 2 cats before these two never had these problems).

Thx in advance!
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old May 5th, 2014, 12:13 PM

Hi Marko:
One of our 5 kitties has the same problem - Missy - our silver/grey Abby, soon to be 12 years.
It started about 6 years ago. We found out that it was an upper respiratory problem, and at the time she was on both raw and kibble food.
We have switched her to raw food only and that has greatly reduced the problem. It only shows up occasionally when she is having bowel problems.
And that has been continuous for quite some time, but lately it hasn't been too bad. The bowel thing is under control and the tear staining has disappeared for the most part.
Last fall, when we were in to see the vet, she recommended something called L-Lysine and they had a pressurized container preparation with a measured dose that she suggested. But it was a bit pricey and we had just started the L-Lysine in powder form, prior to going to see her. I had found out about this product only shortly before this time, on the internet on the Holisticats site.
The dose is 250 mg per day in her food. I try to split it in half so she gets it twice a day. You can pick the product up at a health food store. It comes under the brand names of NOW or Nature's Harmony, or AOR to name a few.
We notice any discharge mostly in the morning, if there is going to be any.
If it is upper respiratory in your case, stress doesn't help at all. It can bring it on. Hard to keep them stress-less. ( Too much photography stress)
I suggest you check with your vet to find out if that is the problem for sure.
Hope this helps.
Old May 5th, 2014, 03:14 PM

Tigger has it sometimes but not everyday. Gotta be gross here.....is it soft yellow mucous or dry brown stuff? I think Tigger usually cleans it off before I notice but I occasionally see the dry stuff on him.
FYI, one of my dogs has the soft stuff everyday and I just clean him off with a Kleenex every morning. He's also prone to pink eye?
Old May 5th, 2014, 06:21 PM

Lynne & Marko:
Update to my previous post:

The L-Lysine that I have used in the past comes in a 500 mg capsule which I would have to downsize into 4 portions in order to do the 250 mg per day and 125 mg twice a day.

I also have administered Colloidal Silver to Missy's eyes when they were badly inflamed. I put it into an eye dropper and one drop in each eye a couple of times a day, did the trick.

This also helped to relieve the running and discomfort to the eye.

Her eyes would tend to become looking bloodshot from time to time, and the Colloidal silver would clear that up too.

The tears would be anywhere from clear to a dark brownie coloured goop, especially in the morning. If you didn't wake up fast enough, you'd end up with it stuck to your own nose when she'd ram her eye into it.