Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old December 9th, 2004, 09:13 AM

Started to switch food today

We have started to switch Charlie from puppy food to adult food today, and while we are at it we have decided to change Willy from the food that he is on to the same one that Charlie will be on. (for many reasons!)

Anyway, Charlie could have cared less because he will still eat anything.

Willy, ate his food, but he ate much slower and he picked out all the old food and then ate the new food. I think that the new food is a little harder so he was cruching louder. He ate so slow and Charlie was getting so ansy because he wanted to help his big brother!

Hopefully they will both like their new food!
Old December 9th, 2004, 09:19 AM
Bentley the Beagle's Mum

Hi CarlaD, out of interest, what food did you put them on? Bentley is currently on wellness, he likes it alot. Your Beagles are lovely so i was just interested.
Old December 9th, 2004, 01:18 PM

I have them on Science Diet. (please no one shoot me if you don't like it)

Charlie was on it from the breeders and then I asked the vets what I should do and she suggested keeping Charlie on Science Diet and that it is a good food... I then compared the hollitic food that Willy was on to the Science Diet adult and there wasn't much of a difference.
Old December 9th, 2004, 01:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Wont shoot you promise but I will tell you why you should get on something good. If you read the side of the bag I think the second ingredient is corn which is a very common allergen for dogs and it is just filler no nurtritional value. Good foods have ingredients that read meat or chicken 1st. This is a medium high grade food no corn no soya also an allergen. You are paying for a high quality food but it is more of a grocery store quality. You could be getting a food of this quality for the same price as you are paying for SD. Just a little information for you also the money you will save in vet bills in the long run has proven to me it is worth it.
Ingredients
Chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, whole grain white rice, wheat flour, rice bran, beet pulp, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), egg product, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor, brewers dried yeast, potassium chloride, salt, dried chicory root, glucosamine hydrochloride, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, chondroitin sulfate, beta carotene, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, L-Carnitine, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganous sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, menadione dimethylpyrimidinol bisulfite (source of vitamin K activity), riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old December 10th, 2004, 11:52 AM

Hi there,

Thanks for the info. I read the bag again and it is lamb and rice and corn is on there but quite a few ingredients down.

I have researched the product and have talked to the breeder and the vet. The vets recommend it because they know that Science Diet does scientific testing on it's food.

AHHH, I thought that I was doing the right thing... what would you recommend?
Old December 10th, 2004, 11:59 AM
Senior Contributor

The one that the ingredients is for is Kirkland Series Chicken and Rice it also comes in Lamb and rice but lamb is to fattening for Buddy it is better for active dogs. This food is good and CHEAP I buy a 40 pound bag for 19.99 the lamb is 21. I was feeding Diamond Large Breed and paid 60-65 for a 50 pound bag. Kirkland is made by Diamond and is available at costco they have also started selling puppy food as well and cat food. I paid for my membership in the first 2 bags I bought and I bet it is half the price of your food as well. I was using Solid Gold Hundenflunken at one point excellent food but for me it was way to expensive every month almost 170.00 a month plus Buddy had gas so bad he would leave the room when he let one go. Also vets get a kickback form SD and Iams
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old December 10th, 2004, 01:22 PM

I didn't know that they got a kick back.

I don't know what I am going to do, the breeder has been breeding for 25 years and has used Science Diet for as long as he can remember and his dogs are beautiful and so healthy.

I will begin my research again!