Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 20th, 2011, 10:27 PM
Senior Contributor

I am a complete failure!!!!

...yes that's right. I think I just adopted my foster... One minute she was in a pound ready to get gassed...next I was asked to foster....before I knew it, she got under my skin...she never leaves my side and I think we bonded...so...I now am the proud mom of Samantha; 1 1/2 year old german shepard.....

Now this is my question:

1- i was told that getting her spayed may make her a little more aggressive due to lack of estrogen; she is so gentle right now that I don;t want her to change.
2- I need to keep her busy and thought of enrolling her in an agility program. Does anyone know of a school in the west island that will not cost too much? She loves to climb stairs and jump on things and I know that Shepards are very smart and love to learn, so I need to keep her occupied.
This is Sam
Attached Images

Old August 20th, 2011, 10:37 PM
You can call me DOG!

Wow! What a beautiful girl and look at those ears!

I don't think by spaying her will make her more agressive. If she's already docile and gentle now, the spay shouldn't affect her whatsoever.

I can't recommend any agility programs in your area but my daughter has a GSD and she goes everywhere with her.

They go to the beach, they walk. She goes in the car, they walk. My Daughter goes four wheelin' with her fiance, she runs to keep up.

Congratulations on being a wonderful foster failure cpietra16.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old August 20th, 2011, 10:40 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

She's beautiful!! Lucky you and very lucky her!!!
Old August 21st, 2011, 12:03 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Congratulations, cpietra! Failure can be a good thing!

As DOG said, if she's sweet already, you probably aren't going to see any obvious changes after spaying. Belle, Macie and Ridge were also at about 18 - 24 months in age when they were spayed. We didn't notice any personality change in any of them.

How is the 'leave the kitty alone' training going?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 21st, 2011, 12:30 AM
Senior Contributor

Pity there aren't a lot more failures like you. A beautiful dog, one to be proud of, and what a great thing you are doing for her.
Old August 21st, 2011, 03:59 AM

Lovely looking girl Hope it works out well for you all. We have two and our girl who is now very nearly 12yrs was a poor traveller before we had her spayed at 2 but afterwards she has never been travel sick and as for behaviour no change whatsoever She will of course be very sore for a couple of weeks but will bounce back to be a great companion.
Old August 21st, 2011, 06:48 AM
Senior Contributor

Well Hazelrunpack, the kitty thing is still on going. She paws at Tess now. I think she just wants to play and does not realize how heavy her paws are' Poor Tess....can't figure out why she keeps on getting picked on...first it was Antonio and now Samantha....oyvay!!!!!!

Samantha gets a little too excited when she sees the cat so she seems to have selective hearing...not much different than my three kids I guess...should get used to this!!!

However, she has basic training; will always come when I call her,unless she sees something running...a squirrel, a cat, a dog, etc...I will try and break her of that habit.
When we go out off leash ( in a huge huge off leash acreage) she is never too far from me. She will run but looks back at me at me and comes right back...its almost like she has an invisible leash...lol

I will try and bring her with me everywhere I go, but as of September I am back at work and school, so she will have to be ok with staying with Winnie for a few hours. I have a lady who comes in twice a day to let them out and run around the back yard so Sam will have to be ok with that right now...at least until the weekend when I can run her properly.

thanks everyone for your input...appreciated as usual!!!
Old August 24th, 2011, 07:18 AM
Senior Contributor

Sam is in heat....

Samantha is in heat and she is bleeding all over the floor....I never had a dog that was not spayed/neutered....I now have to put pads on her ....why didn't I know this..
Old August 24th, 2011, 07:41 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Even after reading your last post, sorry - I giggled, because your title
"I am a complete failure!!!!" caught my eye and I got drawn in to your 'failure'.
I wish there were about 6 billion more complete failures just like you.
Congrats - Your new girl is gorgeous!
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old August 24th, 2011, 07:44 AM
Senior Contributor
Space Invaders Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion

I know exactly how you feel. We always had ours fixed at a young age, then we fostered and a few of them came into heat. Not a pleasant experience.

In answer to your question about her being aggressive after being fixed. We fostered many shepherds and had them all fixed and not one of them turned aggressive.

Thank you so much for adopting her, she is a beauty.

Owned by

Bree 12 year old GSD
Keesha 8 year old GSD
Cyrus 7 year old GSD

RIP: All my angels.
Old August 24th, 2011, 09:27 AM
Senior Contributor

the excitment of having a little girl becoming a woman

You know I have always dreamed of the day when my little girl became a woman....you know, sitting her down...talk about the birds and the bees, talking to her about pads, and what it all means...how to use pads; my little girl will be 12 and this year and may be the year that I get my chance to have "the talk"......my first talk......
WHAT I DIDN'T KNOW WAS THAT I WAS GOING TO HAVE THE FREAKIN TALK WITH MY DOG!!!!!!!!! TALKING TO HER ABOUT STAYING AWAY FROM MALES
TALKING TO HER ABOUT HOW NOT TO PULL OUT YOUR PAD AND EAT THE DARN THING....OR BRING IT TO ME LIKE YOU DID A GOOD DEED

SHE NEED TO GET SPAYED!!!!!
...not my 12 year old human girl....I mean the 1 1/2 german shepard girl will get spayed.... although
Old August 24th, 2011, 09:40 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I feel your pain! Same thing happened to us with Ridge and Macie--they and Belle all arrived at the same time, but we had them spayed one at a time so as not to have three surgical patients to watch at one time. Unfortunately, Ridge and Macie both went into heat just before their scheduled spays.

We used the pads, too, and I have to warn you that Ridge came down with a closed pyometra after her heat--we think it might have had something to do with the pad since they trap some of the fluid inside and possibly promoted bacterial growth. She was acting lethargic but her bloodwork was absolutely normal. Luckily the vet trusted us that something was wrong and put her on antibiotics until her spay--and they found the pyometra during the surgery. So watch for any signs that she's not feeling good after the fact.

Macie was spayed during the first part of her heat cycle. It cost a little more and there was an increased risk of complication, but all turned out well.

One other thing we found out, though. Once a dog goes into heat, even if they're spayed afterward, the remaining hormonal cocktail keeps a dog's body prepared for puppies. That part of the cycle lasts till a normal whelping date. We couldn't figure out why, two months later, Macie suddenly started nesting and 'adopted' a toy. Turned out to be a false pregnancy and she was showing good mothering behavior, even though she'd been spayed. So if Sam starts getting all motherly on you in two months or so, you'll know why...

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 24th, 2011, 09:45 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Cpietra16 you poor thing! I have only ever had Winston so I cant offer you any advice. I was wondering if you could make her a pair of undies. I know they sell them but maybe you could construct something for her?? I would also say to hold on to her with all your might when you are off your property because I think she will want to mate just as much as the males may want to. This way she wont get away from you! cause it only takes once!!

I have never heard of the agressive issue with a spay/gsd??

If you havent had a GSD I think you are going to enjoy the breed!

How is Winnie dealing with her new sister? She didnt seem too concerned in your pictures!

I dont think you can spay her safely until her heat is finished. The one thing I dont understand about females and spaying is why the vets charge more if they have had a heat already??
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old August 24th, 2011, 09:55 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Ours charge more if the fem is in heat--increased vascularity increases the risks of bleeding and complications, so they need to do more monitoring during and after surgery. But I don't think ours charge more if the dog's had a heat cycled prior but is not in heat at the time...

Old August 24th, 2011, 10:04 AM

Hahaha, I got a good chuckle this morning from your post about the birds and the bees! Have fun with your new dog!
Peewee - Jan '06 - 6.5 lb Chi (adopted May '09)
--------------------
Roxy - Feb '05 to May '20 AmStaff (adopted Jul '11)
Myka - Nov '98 to Jan '10 - APBT X
Lacy - Sep '92 to Jul '03 - Sheltie
Old August 24th, 2011, 02:05 PM
Senior Contributor
Space Invaders Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion

Hazel, if they are done at a younger age it is cheaper here(about a year). It is called a mature spay.

Owned by

Bree 12 year old GSD
Keesha 8 year old GSD
Cyrus 7 year old GSD

RIP: All my angels.
Old August 24th, 2011, 02:40 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Really! I wonder why that is? Maybe it's the same here and I just never knew about it... We've always gotten our girls when they were older so we've never had them spayed before age 1.

Old August 24th, 2011, 02:41 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Oh, wait, I take that back! We got Cass at 9 months and she was spayed before the age of one. But that was so long ago I don't remember what it cost.

Old August 24th, 2011, 02:56 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I just called our vet to see if they charged more for a mature spay. There was a pause on the other end and then, "Did you get another one?"

But the answer was no. They charge more only if there is swelling/vascularity due to heat. Otherwise all spays are the same.

Old August 24th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Half Way To Crazy

here where we live, they charge by weight
0-I think it's 80lbs one cost then another for 80lbs-100lbs and then an other cost for over 100lbs

it's crazy!!

not sure for females cuase Bree was done by 6 months
Old August 24th, 2011, 03:10 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I wonder if it has something to do with the amount of anesthesia needed? But I think I'd call around since it seems so variable. Maybe you can find a vet that doesn't charge extra, cpietra.

Old August 24th, 2011, 11:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Well it will cost me 300.00 when all is said and done. Its not that, that bothers me..its the messiness that comes with it. She is really is an amazing dog...Breeze maybe some day we will meet up at Tony's place at the same time...
Winnie seems to be ok with her. She hasn't shown any dominance and neither did Sam...so so far so good.
I will keep you updated on my wonderful "tete a tete" with Sam and her coming of age

Once she is fixed we will start agility classes..She's too intelligent not to do something like that...I need to keep her active in body and mind
Old August 25th, 2011, 12:40 PM
Critter Lover

Congrats! She is a beauty
Old August 25th, 2011, 03:20 PM
Willing cat servant

Congratz to the best failure ever <3

OMG I've failed so many times at fostering. I don't think I'm made for that I love them so much the second I lay eyes on them and I just can't let them go >.<

Last edited by Koteburo; August 25th, 2011 at 03:40 PM.
Old August 25th, 2011, 08:23 PM
Senior Contributor

I aspire one day to be a total failure like you cpietra! How could you not fall in love with that face?
Old August 26th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Laval Zoo

Oh boy, I hear ya! I'm a foster failure, not once, but TWICE. You think I would have learned the first time

heheh but they are the most amazing dogs and they just really got my heart so I couldn't let them go. Just the thought of letting them go would get my bf and I crying at night (he'll be mad at me for saying that publicly... shhhh

Congrats, she is stunning! I have such a weakness for GSD's. I would be very curious about agility classes in the Montreal area as well.

I'm currently reading up on Blue Ribbon (http://www.blueribboncanine.com) they are in Dorval I believe so not far from you cpietra!!
Old August 26th, 2011, 03:09 PM
Unofficial Zookeeper

First, sam is a beauty. Second...when my females go into heat, I got a pair of child tights (small because i have dachs, but you could go up to adult size tights for a GSD), I cut the legs off, and that left a pant, that was snug, stretchable, and washable.
I just put the pad in the obvious spot, snipped a small hole for the tail..and wha la. I did about four pairs, and interchanged them.
They make diapers, but they leak (found that out the hard way). and they dont "move" with dog that is HYPER or ENERGETIC. Thus they try to EAT them off.
You will find what works with sam until you get her spayed.
Good luck..she sounds truly like a meant to be part of your family.
Old January 18th, 2012, 01:03 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Well well. I just found this thread and couldnt believe my eyes! there have been no updates on Sweet Sam & Winnie since August!! can you guys beleive it?

Would love to hear how their doing Cpietra16...
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old January 18th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Senior Contributor

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=79694

Nope!!! I did get back after August....; but you are right Winston, sam is too much of a personality not to update on a regular base. She is amazing, although she is back in the crate due to her attitude...if i do not let her out exactly at 6:00am she will proudly poop and pee right in the middle of the living room.
Since she has been in the crate she has stopped and now she allows me to sleep until 7:00 before I let her out.
Having said that, in the last week, I have kept the door open and she does not sleep in the crate, but i guess seeing the crate reminds her not to do anything until I get up....so fingers crossed...
Old January 18th, 2012, 07:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
I just called our vet to see if they charged more for a mature spay. There was a pause on the other end and then, "Did you get another one?"
I hadn't revisited this thread till today and must say that this comment of Hazel's just cracked me up. Best laugh of the morning. They obviously know you well, Hazel.