Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old July 17th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Orijen's new Red Meat food.

We decided to try Orijen's new red meat food. Omg, my dogs didn't chew they just inhaled this stuff.
I mixed it with the Orijen 6 fish, and they absolutely loved it.
Yep food bills will now be 177.46 every two weeks
I swear they eat better than I do
Old July 17th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Formerly known as Grover4

Ouch, that's quite the food bill!! My two are on the orijen 6 fish as well but I have not tried the red meat one. My dogs aren't usually a red meat fan though so I am not sure if they would like it or not.
Old July 17th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

I considered trying it, but it's a lot more than the regular Orijen (at my store at least). I'm worried if they try the red meat they won't be happy with the chicken anymore!
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old July 17th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Half Way To Crazy

what is the price??
Old July 17th, 2009, 03:14 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmypitgirls View Post
We decided to try Orijen's new red meat food. Omg, my dogs didn't chew they just inhaled this stuff.
I mixed it with the Orijen 6 fish, and they absolutely loved it.
Yep food bills will now be 177.46 every two weeks
I swear they eat better than I do
Holy crap ....$177.46 every two weeks? ....how much do you feed them a day?

I haven't fed Orijen for awhile as we switched to Acana Provincial which is a bit cheaper. The last time I looked Orijen (chicken formula) was $66 for a large bag and that would last us feeding a 60lb Sibe and a 95lb Lab for 3 weeks.
Old July 18th, 2009, 05:58 PM
-

I got a couple of sample bags from Global to try, it seemed that Cocoa was getting fed up with Acana Grasslands ....whatever Cocoa eats the others eat.....she wouldn't touch it so I guess it is a no-go.

If it costs that much more it is definately out of the question, I already spend more than I can really afford......sigh
Old July 18th, 2009, 06:12 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
I got a couple of sample bags from Global to try, it seemed that Cocoa was getting fed up with Acana Grasslands ....whatever Cocoa eats the others eat.....she wouldn't touch it so I guess it is a no-go.

If it costs that much more it is definately out of the question, I already spend more than I can really afford......sigh
I fergits ....are the other two Acana Provincial formulas a no go for your dogs?
Old July 18th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Half Way To Crazy

regional red?? does this mean mostly red meats?? maybe I'm miss understanding this but is pork regional red?? is fish??

some of the ingredient....

deboned pork

salmon meal, whitefish meal*, herring meal, deboned walleye,
Old July 18th, 2009, 06:34 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
I fergits ....are the other two Acana Provincial formulas a no go for your dogs?
I am gonna try the Chicken, they didn't have any sample bags to let me try...one of the problems I think is, 'cos she started being a brat about it, I was cooking beef and liver and putting that on their food instead of canned, I guess she prefers that to canned

Breeze - I didn't read the ingredients....I leave that to you guys ....but pork and fish ain't too red to me
Old July 18th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Senior Contributor

That's a lot! But I can't say much, since I spend about $100 a month for my gang's food. I know they eat way better than I do.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old July 18th, 2009, 06:48 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze View Post
regional red?? does this mean mostly red meats?? maybe I'm miss understanding this but is pork regional red?? is fish??

some of the ingredient....

deboned pork

salmon meal, whitefish meal*, herring meal, deboned walleye,
LOL ....well I guess the salmon could pass as a red meat if it's sockeye but the others are def white in my books.

Quote:
I am gonna try the Chicken, they didn't have any sample bags to let me try...one of the problems I think is, 'cos she started being a brat about it, I was cooking beef and liver and putting that on their food instead of canned, I guess she prefers that to canned

Breeze - I didn't read the ingredients....I leave that to you guys ....but pork and fish ain't too red to me
We've been using the Acana Provincial chicken and/or fish formulas and the boys like both. Maybe you need to cook some chicken and put that on top of Cocoa's food.
Old July 19th, 2009, 01:25 AM

I was just about to try the red meat one, when the store owner mentioned it has chicken!

WHY does 95% of the dog stuff have chicken? Poor Scruffles....sniff sniff.. what a thing to be allergic to.
But yes,the dogs DO eat better than us. Many times I've caught Scruff begging for a taste of what I'm eating, and I tell him, no it's not good for puppies. THen I think, if it's not good for him, what the heck am I doing eating it??? sigh...
Old July 19th, 2009, 01:34 AM
-

Are you sure it has chicken? Soemone else posted the ingredients in the TJT and I don't see it listed ....

Fresh deboned wild boar, fresh deboned lamb, lamb meal, russet potato, fresh deboned pork, peas, salmon meal, whitefish meal*, herring meal, fresh deboned bison, fresh whole eggs, potato starch, fresh deboned salmon (a natural source of DHA and EPA), alfalfa, sweet potato, fresh deboned walleye, salmon oil (naturally preserved with vitamin E and citric acid), pea fiber, psyllium, pumpkin, tomatoes, carrots, apples, cranberries, Saskatoon berries, black currants, chicory root, licorice root, angelica root, fenugreek, marigold flowers, sweet fennel, peppermint leaf, chamomile flowers, dandelion, summer savory, rosemary, organic kelp, vitamin A, vitamin D3, vitamin E, niacin, zinc proteinate, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, vitamin B5, iron proteinate, vitamin B6, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12, selenium, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus product, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product.
Old July 19th, 2009, 01:39 AM
-

I just checked Champion Pet Food's website and there is def no chicken listed ....

http://www.orijen.ca/orijen/products...gredients.aspx
Old July 19th, 2009, 05:48 AM

Definitely no chicken... and Tommy gives it 4 paws up. He really seems to like the taste!
Old July 20th, 2009, 11:27 AM
-

Quote:
LOL ....well I guess the salmon could pass as a red meat if it's sockeye but the others are def white in my books.

Salmon ain't Red, it's Salmon

We've been using the Acana Provincial chicken and/or fish formulas and the boys like both. Maybe you need to cook some chicken and put that on top of Cocoa's food.
I'm going to Global today and she was going to get some of the Chicken in, in sample bags for Cocoa to try, so we shall see.....Betty Crocker and her bright ideas ....as it happens she has beef and liver on the menu tonight
Old July 20th, 2009, 01:13 PM
-

Quote:
I'm going to Global today and she was going to get some of the Chicken in, in sample bags for Cocoa to try, so we shall see.....Betty Crocker and her bright ideas ....as it happens she has beef and liver on the menu tonight

So why don't you stop and buy some fresh chicken so you don't have to give her the beef & liver?
Old July 21st, 2009, 12:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:

I haven't fed Orijen for awhile as we switched to Acana Provincial which is a bit cheaper. The last time I looked Orijen (chicken formula) was $66 for a large bag and that would last us feeding a 60lb Sibe and a 95lb Lab for 3 weeks.
I'm not just feeding my own, I have two extra mouths to feed at the moment, but I can't really be saying that too loud....(living under the radar)
Wendellan~ Feline~ 10(ish)
Theedee~Feline~10(ish)
"Da-Goob"~ APBT/Dogo x (5-6ish)

"My Pitbulls are better behaved than your kids!" (my favorite bumper sticker)
Old July 21st, 2009, 06:56 PM

rainbow,
thanks for posting that ingredients list! I guess I could have checked, but I'm finding labels harder to read lately if I don't bring my granny glasses. NO I'm not getting old, they're just printing things smaller, damm whippersnappers!lol.

Ok no chicken,that works! I've been giving Scruff Acana grasslands, but I like the herbals in the Orijen. Good to know we have options.
Old July 21st, 2009, 08:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:

OH sorry that includes their treats as well.
I'm feeding 5 dogs at the moment, I go thru a lot more food at the moment.

Plus when I buy my food every two weeks, I also buy them lamb fillet and bison liver fillets (dehydrated treats). I am having difficulty finding cookies that Abby can eat without turning her belly all red.
Wendellan~ Feline~ 10(ish)
Theedee~Feline~10(ish)
"Da-Goob"~ APBT/Dogo x (5-6ish)

"My Pitbulls are better behaved than your kids!" (my favorite bumper sticker)