Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old May 19th, 2013, 11:47 AM

Any tips on what to do/ not to do when meeting a dog?

Hey there,

So my Family and I have applied to adopt a rescue dog and in 6 short hours the foster mom and potential new dog (a 10 year old female lhasa-poo) will be coming to our house for a home visit to see how we interact with her.

I read online that when you first see a dog you should acknowledge the human first and then the dog so they don't think they are alpha to the human.

Does anyone have any other tips or things I should look for in the dog?

Thanks for reading and have a great day!
Old May 19th, 2013, 12:19 PM

The whole Alpha theory is pretty much debunked - so I'd toss those notions out the window.

Just be yourself, be natural and be patient with the dog. Don't push too hard to have the dog acknowledge you - let it come to you when its ready
Old May 19th, 2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki Love View Post
The whole Alpha theory is pretty much debunked - so I'd toss those notions out the window.

Just be yourself, be natural and be patient with the dog. Don't push too hard to have the dog acknowledge you - let it come to you when its ready
Why do you say the Alpah theory is debunked?
Old May 19th, 2013, 12:48 PM
banned user

Talking All good

Quote:
Originally Posted by it'spuppylove View Post
Hey there,

So my Family and I have applied to adopt a rescue dog and in 6 short hours the foster mom and potential new dog (a 10 year old female lhasa-poo) will be coming to our house for a home visit to see how we interact with her.

I read online that when you first see a dog you should acknowledge the human first and then the dog so they don't think they are alpha to the human.

Does anyone have any other tips or things I should look for in the dog?

Thanks for reading and have a great day!
This is an older dog, but a dog, is a dog, is a dog phew. (including puppy). I agree with other member should of kept name whoops. When this little wonder arrives allow her to sniff around and do her own thing. Let her come to you this alpha beta is phoo phoo business. We make our furry friends to be what they are, remember all dogs love unconditionally you could never have that kind of love from a human impossible. Treat with love, kindness and respect. Never expect a great deal after all how many homes has she really had. I am happy she has found her forever home good luck
Old May 19th, 2013, 05:01 PM
Senior Contributor

When I met Marty at the shelter I was sitting down with my daughter and granddaughter , I wanted to see how the dog acted around children and the first thing Marty did was come over to me and pee on my pants leg. It was love at first sight ! I just acted like myself and let Marty do his doggie thing and I found it to very interesting that he peed on me and not my daughter or granddaughter. I getting Marty was marking his territory when he did this.
I think it wonder of you to adopt an older dog as most people want puppies or young dogs.
Old May 19th, 2013, 06:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes, that alpha business is old hat and not accepted by most modern dog trainers.

You say family so I'm going to assume there are children. We have a wonderful resource in Canada in two ladies who have made dog and child safe interaction their going concern. Among other things their website explains how children should approach dogs safely. I'm sure it goes without saying adults should do the same thing. Here's their website: http://www.doggonesafe.com/ However I think Loki Love nailed it for your first meeting.

You are wonderful people for considering a 10 year old rescue dog. I hope your meeting has the pooch charming the pants off you.
Old May 20th, 2013, 09:45 AM

Thank you everyone for your helpful tips and websites and kind words.

The meeting with Lilo went perfect, besides running around the house trying to find a place to poop when she first got in (she decided the living room was the best place, haha) she was a real charmer. The family that had her before hadn't taken the best of care with her since she was all matted but the foster mom who has her now had just taken her to the groomers and she looked wonderful. But after spending 3 hours at the groomers it must have tuckered her out since as soon as she got a belly rub she was asleep for an hour (or until someone stopped petting her, then she had to wake up and look at us with a look of "excuse me, I didn't say you could stop petting me" (which was completely adorable!)).

That being said I am happy to announce that we are now going forward with our 1 week trial with her as of next weekend and we couldn't be happier!
Old May 20th, 2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
That being said I am happy to announce that we are now going forward with our 1 week trial with her as of next weekend and we couldn't be happier!
Wonderful news! Good luck - I hope it works out (it sounds like it's off to a great start!) When you have a moment, we'd love to see some pictures
Old May 20th, 2013, 10:02 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

that's just awesome news and kudos as well for adopting an older dooger.

I haven't done all the reading suggested - but I can tell you from walking hundreds of strange dogs that like humans, some dogs so seem to challenge you - for lack of a better word I might use the word dominant, some are shy and most fall somewhere in the middle.

I personally know a few quality trainers that would disagree with the alpha theory is debunked premise. It may not be as linear or as clear cut as it was thought to be....but there is something to this theory. It should not be 100% chucked altogether. It is not the same as arguing that the world is flat imo.

So because I do believe this...whenever I meet a stray dog or cat, I usually do not look them in the eye, I lower my body, turn my body to them, and invite them over. This makes me look friendlier and less threatening.

I have a freakishly high success rate, especially with stray cats which are much harder to coax into a petting session from a stranger.

So that's what i do - lol.

Congrats again!
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old May 20th, 2013, 11:39 AM
banned user

Talking Congratulations

Quote:
Thank you everyone for your helpful tips and websites and kind words.

The meeting with Lilo went perfect, besides running around the house trying to find a place to poop when she first got in (she decided the living room was the best place, haha) she was a real charmer. The family that had her before hadn't taken the best of care with her since she was all matted but the foster mom who has her now had just taken her to the groomers and she looked wonderful. But after spending 3 hours at the groomers it must have tuckered her out since as soon as she got a belly rub she was asleep for an hour (or until someone stopped petting her, then she had to wake up and look at us with a look of "excuse me, I didn't say you could stop petting me" (which was completely adorable!)).

She is obviously one lucky girl I could not express it any other way