Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 1st, 2010, 12:23 PM

Colitis...

My friend asked advice on a good diet to feed their Shih Tzu with colitis ( not sure the specific type, tho). I know very little about this condition, but the dog is thin and possibly pregnant.

So, I am wondering if anyone has suggestiosn for brands that would be less than 10% fat and high in fiber? I have heard those two things are helpful in keeping colitis at bay...

Thanks!
Old March 1st, 2010, 12:39 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Colitis, inflammation of the colon, can be caused by many different things, including an autoimmune response attacking the colon walls. It can also be caused by food intolerances, allergies, etc.

How was the diagnosis made? What are the symptoms?

If the dog has chronic diarrhea, then I would try a food that has simple ingredients (no grains/corn/wheat, not a dogs natural food) and a novel protein, one the dog has never had before. A homemade diet (made appropriately) would probably be best so the owner can control the ingredients, eliminating all the extra ingredients the pet food industries put in.

If it is caused by the immune system, there is no cure and unfortunately Prednisone is the norm to get it under control.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 1st, 2010, 12:54 PM

I think she had bloody vomit and diarrhea, was taken to a veterinary hospital and thats where they determined colitis. I have no other details as to whether it was bacterial, or if it is chronic. I know she frequently has diarrhea. Personally, i feel a check up would probably help out, especially if she is pregnant.

Their vet suggested some sort of digestive Royal Canin or Hill's...

I suggested food containing duck, i think Go! has a duck formula. He said he isn't adverse to making her food, either. So I suggested a local store that has raw diet supplies and i guess we'll see!
Old March 1st, 2010, 09:50 PM
Senior Contributor

HRH Missie the poo has colitis. High temps, bloody poop and vomiting. I tried every kind of food out there and nothing worked. I put her on Hill Zd and have not had a attack in three years. People say it is crap food, but it worked for Missie and she is healthy and happy.

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old March 2nd, 2010, 09:56 AM

metronidazole is really useful for some cases of colitis. I have one pug, my diabetic, on a very low dose of it every day and she has been perfect ever since. It is used frequently for the calming effect it has on the intestine.

the recommended dose is 5-10mg/lb q8h-q12h

Bella weighs 16 lbs and gets only 62mg once per day. And as |I say she has been on this for months, and is perfect. I know a lot of peole who use this, no side effects that I have ever heard.
Old March 10th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

While the vet prescribed food does seem to help the colitis, it must be the additives in it - because the number one ingredient is corn which is a HUGE no-no with colitis. The problem is that the constant irritation of the bowel will eventually damage the bowel's ability to absorb nutrients, which of course then leads to it's own problems. So of course, you do what you have to do to get past the immediate problem (the diarrhea). If it's caused by food intolerances, then home cooking for the dog could be an easy answer because you have absolute control over what the dog is eating.