Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old June 13th, 2011, 12:03 PM

How do I Get Puppy to Stop Biting

Looking for tips on getting a puppy to stop biting me. She's a little bite machine. I try distracting her with toys but she's soon back to biting me. I can't even pat her, she'll just bite at me. Most puppies give kisses. Not this one, she gives bites!
Old June 13th, 2011, 01:15 PM
Senior Contributor

2 very worthwhile articles on puppy biting and teaching bite inhibition:
http://www.dogstardaily.com/training/puppy-biting
http://www.dogstardaily.com/training...ite-inhibition

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old June 13th, 2011, 01:28 PM

I'm having the same issue with my little 8 week old american bulldog. He's awesome, smart and I was able to housebreak him in 2 days. He sits, gives his paw and comes on command. He is impressive to say the least, but he loves to bite hands and feet. Ive bought him many different toys and spent entire days with him trying to fix the biting by redirecting him to his toys but he'd much rather bite me.
Old June 17th, 2011, 12:46 PM

I'm a firm believer that dogs teeth should never touch human skin, this way if they ever become aggressive they will not know what it's like to bite skin which is a good thing, it would take longer for them to bite and cause injury.

Puppy biting is very easy but you must be consistent.

When you're playing and the puppy bites you, "OW!" if the puppy stops, good boy/girl and give a toy.
If the puppy doesn't stop, "OW" again. If that is ignored, you get up and walk away to somewhere he or she can't get you for 2 mins per every month in age.

Go back and give a toy.

DO NOT play games WITH your hands, this is only setting the puppy up to fail, play with toys only, they'll learn that toys = biting.

I also find that rotating the toys. Have 3 out for a few days then putting those away and bringing 2 other ones out for a couple days and so on, REALLY helps with the pup being interested in them. New toys are always the best
Old June 17th, 2011, 01:17 PM

I think this video does a pretty thorough job
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKjk8...el_video_title
Old June 20th, 2011, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millitntanimist View Post
I think this video does a pretty thorough job
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKjk8...el_video_title
I used his advice when I first got my pup because he had a bad biting problem, and it worked within a week, now my dog does not bite or chew on anyone
Old June 20th, 2011, 10:11 PM
You can call me DOG!

I'm going to sound like a broken record but my trick is LIME!!!

Buy some fresh lime (not lemon) from the supermarket and cut a wedge and keep within arms reach. When and if your pup starts to nip at you, take the wedge of lime and gently squirt/rub on the tip of her nose. No force is necessary but the juice from the lime will stop her and they don't like the taste. She'll eventually associate the bad taste with the biting and it will become a thing of the past.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old July 14th, 2011, 03:14 PM

Exclamation 8 week old, VERY mouthy!

klmccallum, I'm going to try the Lime next time i go to the supermarket.it will work

I got my Samoyed puppy yesterday and she was an in the car. Today I started to give her a toy which she seem to love for a while. But now she is getting more mouthy. She would bite the towel I have in her playpen and she would also bite the training pad (which i had to remove until she seem to wants to pee again). She would bite the leash if i connect it to her collar. Last night she slept in the bedroom but didn't put her in the crate because she barks and cries like crazy. She sleeps fine on the floor. In the morning she would bite the carpet and slippers and cellphone charger.

>A little off topic but if anyone knows a great way to crate train a puppy please give me tips! and what games will help tire her out?
help help help
Old August 5th, 2011, 07:14 AM

Biting is very common to young puppies this is because they are uncomfortable with their teeth. However is it still not advisable to tolerate such behavior. When the puppy bites your whether it is painful or not give a firm "ouch" if he does not stop go away and never give him any affection for a significant period of time. This is will let him associate that biting will result to him being ignored.

You can also try to use bitter apple, dog's does not want the taste of it so they will avoid biting you. There are also other products like this so try to go to your local pet store and ask for products that is similar to bitter apple.
Old August 6th, 2011, 08:23 AM

You may also want to invest in a puppy kinder garden, or find other vaccinated dogs for you pup to socialize with. Dogs are much better at telling other dogs when enough it enough.
Old August 6th, 2011, 09:26 PM
You can call me DOG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden0517 View Post
A little off topic but if anyone knows a great way to crate train a puppy please give me tips! and what games will help tire her out?
help help help
A great way to crate train is to ensure the crate is localized in an area that you are most commonly sitting in. Make sure the crate is covered with an old dark blanket/sheet.

Starting off with the crate, please introduce your pup to the crate in a happy way. Perhaps throw her favorite toy inside the crate with her standing outside and close the door. She should want to go into the crate to retrieve her toy and if she does, praise her. Let her sit/lay in the crate with the door open so it doesn't become a prison but a safe spot.

Good luck golden0517 and please keep us posted.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old August 31st, 2011, 07:53 AM

Try to give out a yelp to let her know that you dont like it. Or you can practice more on 'No' and 'Stop' command. Be firm when you are telling the dog to stop the bad habit.
Old April 22nd, 2015, 07:43 AM

May be exposing your puppy to play with other vaccinated puppies might help. When a puppy bites another puppy while playing it usually gets bitten or the other puppy makes a sound and stops playing due to the pain. With time your puppy will realize that biting actually causes discomfort to others and slowly learns to loosen the bite. Next time it bites you, try to make a noise indicating pain. This would help in training your puppy to stop with the biting.
Old April 22nd, 2015, 12:52 PM
Senior Contributor

This an old thread from 2011 .