Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old June 18th, 2007, 03:01 PM

aggressive cat

We have three tiny Yorkies. Two are senior rescue doggies and one is a 5-mo. We have a 2 yr. old part Siamese cat who is beautiful and generally a loving cat. We have had some trouble with her batting the tiniest Yorkie around, but she aggressively attacks the puppy. We have blocked the stairway entrance but she has managed to get through a couple of times. We plan on installing a gate. Does anyone have an idea on how to deal with this problem? Getting rid of the cat or the puppy is not an option. Thank you.
Old June 18th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Senior Contributor

jov,sorry I cannot really help,the cat is obviously jealous and does not like the dog.
Who was there first??The cat or the dogs??
Old June 18th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Working GSD Lover

I do not know much either sorry....but welcome to the forums
Old June 18th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Senior Contributor

She feels outnumbered (and maybe a bit ignored? ) Cats are much more territorial than dogs so that may be part of the problem as well, depending on - as Chico says - the order in which you acquired them.
If you can manage it, I suggest a feline friend for your moggy. If you choose well - an older cat who is good with dogs, say - it may be a diversion for her. I know it sounds crazy, but another cat to pal around with may help the situation.
Otherwise, I find that time-outs and a loud voice are good tools for bringing cats into line. She attacks them because she can. Other than a good yell, don't give her any attention when it happens, scoop her up, straight into the bathroom for five minutes. Repeat.
And plenty of cuddles when she's a good girl in their presence.

Last edited by badger; June 18th, 2007 at 04:33 PM.
Old June 18th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Senior Contributor

I have 2 Siamese and they are the most loving cats!! Is it perhaps possible that somehow the introduction to the dogs did not go as well as it might have (slow and easy is usually best) and so she feels neglected and sees them invading her territory rather than as a usual part of it. I agree with Badger as to how to help her - but I know with my meezers and most cats - if you introduce them to a young puppy so they take an interest and think they have some "ownership" and are not ignored and nothing has changed (Cats are very stressed by change and meezers more than many breeds need and crave human attention), will do very well. Now, you might want to redo the introductions and give her mega attention and love, especially when she is being good and not "aggressive". I hesutate to use that word since cats are rarely aggressive per se - they may be irate and unhappy but not aggressive unless they feel threatened.
Old June 19th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Also,the few Yorkies I have known,were very energetic and bouncy,maybe they just scare the kitty,that's why she is acting aggressive