Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old February 28th, 2012, 10:54 AM

Adopting a Second Dog

Any recommendations on how to integrate a new, second dog into our normal obedience rules? Here's my situation:

- Currently own a (generally) well-behaved, dominant, female mid-size dog
- Thinking about adopting a second, mid-sized male dog
- Current dog already knows 'the language': sit, stay, come when called, not allowed on furniture or in the bedroom, waits for the whistle before eating meals, etc.
--> Any good tips on how I can teach this 'language' to the new, dog with minimal confusion/confrontation to both dogs?

I understand there's a myriad of behavioral issues when another dog joins our 'pack' and I that hierarchies are important. Just wondering it anyone with a dominant first dog, has adopted a second dog? How did it go? Anything you would do differently?
Old February 28th, 2012, 09:23 PM

I dont' know how old your current dog is but I got two puppies at probably the worst time - when she was 9 months. I wouldnt' advise that.

As for initial introductions, I'd do it slowly. By the book. In a place away from home. See how they interact. Take them on a walk together.

Attitudes change quick once they realize their new friend isn't going home.

Even if the current dog is trained well, expect to do one-on-one training. My dogs walk fine on leash when they are alone, but are absolutely berserk when together.
Old April 26th, 2012, 11:43 AM

Our resident dog is older - about 6 yrs old. We just had a first meeting with two male lab potentials - both were around 2 or 3 yrs.

Lab #1 was HUGE - the biggest lab I've ever seen. He was beautiful and seemed happy and loving, but was rambunctious, loud and could barely walk on a leash. Suffice to say our girl had NO time for him (especially when he tried to mount her).

Lab #2 was much smaller - a few inches smaller that our dog and a good foot smaller than Lab #1. He was more humble-looking, more chunky, and much more quiet and calm. He shared some 'smells' with and around our dog without incident. They both seemed nonchalant about having their bodies touch when they were petted and given treats.

As it stands, we're looking to bring Lab #2 home. Any tips on integrating him peacefully? They seemed fine together during the first meeting, but that was off our dog's territory. I'm worried as to how they'll act when we introduce Lab#2 to our home. We're planning on taking them both on a very long hike before bringing the new dog home. Training will start immediately and they will initially be fed separately. Any other tips?
Old April 30th, 2012, 09:48 AM

So we've brought Lab #2 (Bronx) into the family!... We're just two days into this adoption and our dominant female (Darly) has just ignored him.

Bronx is a gentle, happy soul and seems a bit of a puppy (approx. 3yrs old). He is ALWAYS overjoyed to see people (any people), wagging his whole body (never jumping up) and he has a very gentle mouth. He has already chewed a little bit of a blanket, and my husband's in-soles (for shoes). His foster family said that he didn't have any chewing issues, so I'm thinking (hoping) that these chewing incidents are just a result of new environment stress.

We feed them in the same room without any problems. They take treats from us, nose-to-nose with each other without issues. They also walk on the leash and ride in the car together very well (no growling, no menacing stares). Bronx has tried to play with Darly once inside, but got snapped at right away. He hasn't tried again (yet) and pretty much steers clear of her. When we pet him, or are trying to train him, she comes over and we giver her attention (she's like, "I know how to sit!"). Beyond that, Darly has NOT been welcoming and seems to want nothing to do with the new dog.

We bought a new dog bed for Bronx. However, Darly has claimed the new bed (and her own crate and bed) as hers, and sleeps in both all the time now. Bronx went up to smell Darly in the new bed and she snapped at him. I think that he's too scared to approach either bed now and is content to sleep on the carpet, or a ratty old spare dog bed out of sight of Darly. Darly is about 5 yrs and comes from a life of being bounced around from shelter to foster and back. She usually ignores all other dogs, or snaps at them when they're play goes too far (usually all the time).

I'm hoping this is just a phase and once they get to know each other, they'll become better friends? If anyone can please share any info or advice on this I would really appreciate it!
Old May 7th, 2012, 10:38 AM

Update:

Exactly one week after adopting, our dogs are playing together. Whew!
Our dog no longer ignores him and they seem to be getting along well. (Maybe a little too well as I feel our girl may have found a partner in crime!...)
Old May 7th, 2012, 10:43 AM
Senior Contributor

That's Awesome!
Old May 7th, 2012, 01:59 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Wonderful news!!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 7th, 2012, 03:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Double the monkey business. Good news.
Old May 17th, 2012, 02:18 PM

Glad the dogs are getting along now!
When do we get to see pictures?
Old June 8th, 2012, 11:38 AM

Here they are, in a *rare* quiet moment:
New guy is the yellow. (Darly's lip always gets stuck in her teeth)...
Attached Images

Old June 8th, 2012, 02:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 067734m View Post
Here they are, in a *rare* quiet moment:
New guy is the yellow. (Darly's lip always gets stuck in her teeth)...
What a great photo and a pairs of great looking dogs. My dog Marty will turn his lip up when he thinking of doing something that he should not do. I am glad the two has hit it off OK. What kind of crimes have they committed so far?
Old June 8th, 2012, 08:39 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Darly and Bronx are gorgeous!!!! I love Darly's lip! So glad to hear they've hit it off.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."