Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 13th, 2011, 03:24 PM

my dog is acting strange

Hi Folks
I have a border collie/shepard mix....she has always been scared of loud noises like thunder or a gun shot...she has damaged our windows by scratching so hard she rips some of the window frame rite off...recently she is over the top....she is continuously going out and in and out and in...you hardly sit down between opening the door to let her out and she wants to get back in and back out again...and on and on....my husband has had to keep her company through the nights by making sure the tv was on and she wasn't in the dark even...this is the strangest behavior....wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem

Anita
Old January 13th, 2011, 04:25 PM

A check with your vet would be a good place to start, since its a sudden change in her behavior it could be something physical.

If the vet gives her a good bill of health then start with some training for her. Don't allow her in and out each and every time her barks. She needs to learn that you control when she goes in and out. Try letting her out for 10 minutes or so and then letting her in. If you allow her out for the same amount of time each day each time you let her out then she will grab on to the fact that she will be out there for 10 minutes each time whether she bark and whine or not.

hope this helps
Old January 13th, 2011, 04:42 PM

yes a trip to the vet is in order.....she is about 4 years old and not puppy age...so this is not a training issue....more of a sudden change....she normally would go out and in when needed...thanks for your input
Old January 13th, 2011, 04:45 PM
Senior Contributor

My buy her a Thundershirt it will help her calm down. The Thundershirt fits dogs tightly and really helps to calm them down. Sasha started to be fearful when we had thunderstorms, I put a Thundershirt on her and she lies down and sleeps. Made a huge difference for her. This is not the only thing you can do but it is an aid. patti
Old January 13th, 2011, 04:58 PM

sounds good
Old January 14th, 2011, 12:39 AM

Collie and Thunder

This is very common with this breed. One of our sisters sees a vet and over the years she has got better. However training will not change fear,

When in this condition she is very lightly sedated. She can not cope with loud noise. Really see the vet get some advice.

Patience is needed. I am sure you are there already. And this can be hard to deal with. But worth it in the end.
For what its worth

Hang in
Old January 14th, 2011, 12:46 AM
Doggie Wench

Vet visit for sure for any sudden changes in behavior.

How much exercise does your girl get, Anita_maria?
Old January 14th, 2011, 10:02 AM
owned by Tucker

Border collies can get OCB, your vet would be the best bet but you might want to look up this issue in the breed too. I know your dog is a cross but it could of gotten it from the border collie in it. Good luck
Old January 14th, 2011, 12:03 PM
owned by Tucker

It is OCD its a disorder not a behaviour here is a website you can look at http://www.petwave.com/Dogs/Dog-Heal...-Disorder.aspx
Old January 14th, 2011, 12:09 PM
owned by Tucker

here is also a website about border collies with OCDhttp://www.bcrescue.org/obsessive.html
Old January 17th, 2011, 06:18 PM

I second seeing the vet!

Last edited by GateKeeper; January 18th, 2011 at 03:18 AM. Reason: No promo allowed
Old January 27th, 2011, 05:08 PM

I'm also curious as to how much exercise she gets and if she still does the in and out and in thing if you go out and interact with her?

I could be way off, but from what you described, I can't help but imagine her signalling that she wants to go out, then you open the door and she exits and then the door closes... and she thinks "that's not what I was hoping for" (you didn't go with her) and so she signals that she wants back in, then tries again... trying to get you to go out with her and do something together. If she's feeling stress from a lack of stimulation or exercise, she may find some relief from what little interaction she can demand of you by requesting to go in and out repeatedly... at least you're there and involved in some fashion in her mind.

It's awfully boring for some dogs to just sniff around in a yard by themselves, while it suits others just fine, but I bet most border collie x shepherd mixes are pretty sharp and would love something more stimulating to do.

That said, it could be something else for sure. If it's beyond extra exercise and attention and she is physically well, I wouldn't rely on random training tips here that could be harmful in her case since she is already anxious. We don't have the full picture here. I would seek an expert--many vets are not trained in behaviour and training methods as much as we would hope. I would seek a professional trainer/behaviourist personally.

Just my thoughts... not a dog behaviourist or expert...