Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 10th, 2011, 02:43 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

spay scheduled......again

I so hope I am making the right decision. My heart says yes, Olivia needs to be spayed ASAP. But it opens up a whole can of worms ......I will try to explain.
Little Olivia started going into heat when she was just a hair shy of four and a half months old. The vets in my city will not spay a female until they are 5 to 5 and a half months old (6 months is preferred). So I make another appt for her, in two weeks time back in January, and by the time the appt rolled around she was already in her 3rd heat. Vets in my city also will NOT spay a female that is in heat. I was told that the day she came out of heat, I still would need to wait to have her spayed because of internal swelling. So I made yet another appt. Only thing is Miss Olivia's heat schedule is 4 days of heat, 3 days out and then she goes back into heat AGAIN.
Which brings us to now.....and Olivia's 16th heat (I could be off by one, I lost track in shear frustration) And we missed yet another spay appt. Now she is starting to pee on the bed, in the bath tub, in the sink and on the bedroom floor near the dog's bed. She still uses the litter box, but then goes elsewhere also. She is soooo skinny being in heat all the time, she is just above 4lbs if she is lucky. So vet appt.........I was told that as soon as she is fixed the urinating out of the box will stop, she doesn't have anything else wrong, she just needs to be spayed..........okay then do her now.....NO she is in heat......
Someone above must have been watching over me today, because the organization I adopted her from, I just so lucky happened to be purchasing enzyme cleaner and they were holding a pet appreciation week and donation drive at my local pet store. Miss Olivia has a spay appt DEFINETLY heat or no heat on this FRIDAY thru them.
Now the other can of worms.........if they get her fixed, none of the vets in my city will touch her again. Even in an emergency. I will be told to contact the vet across the river (in Michigan) for any of her medical needs. This is an issue that has been plaguing my city for quite awhile, they even dis-allowed low spay/neuter clincs from coming to the city to help. This is a huge topic among pet owners in my town. I am not doing it for the lower cost, I would spend what ever it took for ANY of my furries. I am doing it because she does NOT deserve to go through this anymore. She doesn't need to wait any longer and hope we pick the right day three weeks from now to get her in. She deserves better than that. I will not let her go through ONE more heat I can't. But how do I deal with the after?? No Canadian vet care for her in my town
I just need some good vibes ( I am already nervous) and some really really good thoughts sent her way.
3+ cats......Surround sound
Old April 10th, 2011, 02:51 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

OH man I would be contacting the newspapers so fast. It sounds like your vets have a monopoly and will blackball any vet that will do low cost spueters.

There is a bit more risk to spaying a cat in heat, but is done here on a regular basis. The vets charge a bit more, that's all.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 10th, 2011, 03:17 PM
Senior Contributor
Space Invaders Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion

You've got to be kidding. If you cannot take your kittie to the vet in town after she is fixed, then I definately would be going to the papers, also is there not a board you can report them to.

Good vibes for both of you.

Owned by

Bree 12 year old GSD
Keesha 8 year old GSD
Cyrus 7 year old GSD

RIP: All my angels.
Old April 10th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

you know, I was just thinking, can you call Ontario Vet College who regulates them and lodge a complaint?

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 10th, 2011, 03:20 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

We do have a local woman in the news that is trying to shed light on the situation. We have had so many pets die due to it. But the vets will not budge. There have been numerous complaints to the Ontario College of Vets. There is also a FB page with horror stories of pet owners being turned down. It is one sad situation. But what can I do? Olivia needs to be spayed, she is now 7 and a half months old with a horrible heat cycle. My boys are confused, the dog is upset, she is so uncomfortable........it is not fair.
Old April 10th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Senior Contributor
Space Invaders Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion

I think you are doing the right thing. She must come first. Wish I could do something about the vets though.

Owned by

Bree 12 year old GSD
Keesha 8 year old GSD
Cyrus 7 year old GSD

RIP: All my angels.
Old April 10th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

you, this is just pissing me off. With all the media about the overpopulation of cats and these vets won`t spay a cat in heat.

Just wondering if there were any TNR organizations in your area, I ask because if a feral cat was in heat, the organization wouldn`t be able to retrap her should she be in heat when trapped the first time.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old April 10th, 2011, 03:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Om my Dog,that's unbelievable,I hope something can be done about it and your girlie will be ok.
How can a vet possibly deny care,because she was spayed else where,what on earth does it matter?? Unbelievable!!
Old April 10th, 2011, 03:54 PM
Senior Contributor

I had heard that about your community. I have a friend who's cousin took her dog for major orthopadic repairs to a vet in Michigan ... cost was a factor for her...and now no vet will see the dog anymore.

Yes, I believe in the Rainbow Bridge
Old April 10th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh...almost forgot to say...I believe you are doing the right thing for your girl. She cant continue like she has been...

Good luck....you could let the vet know you DID ask him repeatedly for the procedure and he refused....or you could say you were out of town at friend's and used her vet.... A Canadian one!

Yes, I believe in the Rainbow Bridge
Old April 10th, 2011, 06:31 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

That's just awful. So much for professional ethics.

I think you have no choice at this point--she really does need to have that spay! Is the vet in MI close enough to be viable as a regular vet if none of the ones in town will see her?

Gol dang--what would they do if you'd adopted a spayed stray from a shelter somewhere else?

Sending lots of that her spay goes well!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 10th, 2011, 09:15 PM
Willing cat servant

I can't believe this. What does spaying her somewhere else has to do with receiving veterinary services later? Wouldn't that even hurt their "business"?
They act like a mafia. It's so sad to see how people forget what things are really about like these vets (and it happens with doctors for humans as well)
How can they deny a pet medical services. That should be made illegal!

Little Olivia blessings for you. You're going to be all right, healthy, strong and beautiful always
Old April 10th, 2011, 09:42 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

I can not believe your vets can do that! And they call themselves ethical and caring? Newspapers here I come! That is a pile of bull crap!! Have Lizzy done now mf and change her name if she ever has to go to your vet. Tell them she came to you spayed.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old April 10th, 2011, 11:13 PM
Senior Contributor

For me that raises the question, if they are doing this if you spay Olivia elsewhere, what about any other animals you might own, are they going to refuses to treat them also? Did you ask? Heavens, there are 4 vet clinics within maybe 45 miles of us and I think all the vets at them would know I take my animals where I please. They never (dare) get outspoken about it, though a friend who couldn't reach her usual vet had to plead with one - bawling her eyes out - to come to a mini pony in trouble foaling, that &^#@* did want to refuse because he wasn't the regular vet. I'm with the others who said it'd be a good story for the newspapers. Fingers crossed for your darling come next Friday.
Old April 11th, 2011, 12:50 AM
chronically insane.

That's stupid and if I were you I would just tell them she is out of heat and not tell them.. because FYI there is NO major difference internally when a cat is in heat!!!!! IT IS A LIE!!! THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE!! YOU CAN'T TELL

okay I'm done shouting. You can most certainly tell in doggies but there isn't a FREAKING DIFFERENCE in cats. I don't know why people don't get that Just tell them her heat cycle has stopped and she is ready to be spayed now, don't even say anything else just play stupid and say it is done even if it isn't.. because guess what, they aren't going to have a damn way to prove you wrong.. and even if they could what are they gonna do, open her back up, find the uterus and then suddenly decide oh we can't do this now she is in heat and sew her back up? not gonna happen.

plus if i were you'd i'd be super worried about getting a pyometra by now!!

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old April 11th, 2011, 08:19 AM
Senior Contributor

thats ridiculous, what happens if you move to your town and your cat is already spayed? no vet will touch it? you adopt a spayed cat, they didn't do it, so they won't see yours? doesn't make sense.
Old April 11th, 2011, 02:08 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

the thought about them not seeing my other 3 animals did cross my mind today, but I don't think they could because the other 3 were not the "offending" animal.But then I got thinking, what if Olivia needs care if something happens after her spay? Like a problem with a stich or heaven forbid something else? What do I do?
Now here is the thing, I have an adoption contract with the organization i got her from. When I adopted her I had to pay a promise to spay fee, that would go towards her operation. It was to be refunded with proof of spay. I signed the document stating she would be spayed. I also signed that the organization was free to contact me or surprise visit me at any time to check on the condition of the animal. I commented that I would welcome such a visit.
Now Olivia is getting fixed under them, would I not be able to say to my vet that under my "contract" terms she should have been spayed by now, and that I could lose my cat back to them for not doing what I signed a form stating that I did? That when I spoke to them, that because she was not spayed yet that they signed me up for the next batch of cats that were getting done because I HAD TO?
I hardly slept last night, too many things on my mind.
Old April 11th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

oh and Kathyn, I have a friend in town that is a former vet tech. She told me that a cat is not a high risk spay surgery when they are in heat unlike a dog, which is high risk because the amount of blood. She said that Olivia's size may have contributed to them dancing around the spay, she is quite tiny, but if that was the case they should have said so.
Old April 11th, 2011, 02:24 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

this is a quote from our local media lady Karen Johns, who is extremely passionate about animals. I am trying to find the whole interview, this is an exerpt of it off it from the local and internet column she writes.

Karen John's quote:
"Here is the question I asked of Martin Fischer,Investigator/Practice Resource Officer at the Ontario Veterinary College and his answer to me below

ME: "The Sault has many animal lovers and it is difficult to understand the refusal of local vets to participate in a low cost clinic, when they are the people to whom we rely on for the well being of our cherished pets.

As one person at your college told me, a veterinary practice is a business and local vets can choose whomever they wish to serve. This was in regard to thefact that if local residents get their animals vaccinations or neutering done in Sault Michigan, the vets here will not treat a pet in an emergency.

People go where they can afford to go, and it seems to many, that it is petty if not downright cruel to refuse a dying animal veterinary care, regardless ofwhere they got their vaccinations.

Although I understand that the Veterinary clinics have to make a profit, those of us who truly care about animals cannot understand the adamant refusal oflocal vets to help those animals that need them the most.
Could you please explain this refusal? Many people including myself would love to know the answer. it seems wrong somehow for veterinarians to turn their backs on animals in need."

This is Mr Fisher's answer:
"Veterinarians are required to provide after-hours care to their client’s animals. They are not required to provide emergency services for animals of other individuals. Other professionals, such as doctors, lawyers, architects or engineers have no legal responsibility to provide services to individuals who are not their clients or patients. There is nothing in the legislation which requires that veterinarians be held to a higher standard than other professionals."
Old April 12th, 2011, 08:51 AM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

I think all is going to be well. I just spoke to the woman who is going to be bringing Olivia for her spay. She said if she is peeing on things, she is under stress and needs to be fixed NOW.
so she gets picked up at 5am on Friday, and will never again have to deal with the stress of going into heat. Now I can just focus on being a nervous mess until her surgery is over
Old April 12th, 2011, 08:55 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Sending for a successful surgery and quick recovery. And some s to tide you over!! I know that waiting game...don't like it, either.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 12th, 2011, 10:50 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcatharmony View Post
I think all is going to be well. I just spoke to the woman who is going to be bringing Olivia for her spay. She said if she is peeing on things, she is under stress and needs to be fixed NOW.
so she gets picked up at 5am on Friday, and will never again have to deal with the stress of going into heat. Now I can just focus on being a nervous mess until her surgery is over
Awww hon, I'll keep my fingers and all my kitties' toes crossed for Livvy and you. I'm sure things will be ok. She will be so much better after that nasty stuff is gone. Thank you for being such a good kitty mom. Well, doggie mom too.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old April 12th, 2011, 12:42 PM
-

Just getting to this thread... wowzer.

What smug arrogance and how poorly it reflects upon what seems to be a disappearing breed: honest, compassionate doctors.

What can "we" the broader public do to help DCH?

And of course, fingers and toes, paws, legs, eyeballs and anything else that's for a speedy recovery.
Old April 12th, 2011, 05:22 PM
Senior Contributor

dch...I am speachless that vets can do that! I wonder if W5 would do something on that?

As someone suggested here, after Olivia gets her spaying done,,,change her name and tell your vet she is a stray if u ever have to take her to see your home town vet.

Darby was a stray and she was fixed and declawed before she came here.

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)