Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old June 21st, 2010, 01:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Prayers need for our new kitty

I need your strength, prayers and maybe some insight.

As you all know, I added one more homeless kitty to our family. She was only with us for one week when things went horribly wrong. She is currently at the clinic and we do not know what is going on or why she is not doing well. She is a young siamese bluepoint that was found starving. At the shelter she refused to eat and was force fed. When they gave up, I transported her to another shelter where they treated her and helped her survive. After 3 weeks my heart was heavy for her as I knew that once out of the shelter she would make a change in the right direction. She did but only for one week.

My daughter called in a panic saying that she was eating but not deficating. I drove down to Ottawa and indeed the cat was straining and finally did poop out a cement like fecal sample. I rushed her to the vet and she has been there ever since without any improvement even with a laxative and flushing. The x-rays showed fecal blockage and I am not sure what all this means now nor the future...or even if there is a future.

So please send pawsitive vibes, waves, prayers my child's way as well of course the cats. This has been a heartbreaking experience and I never wanted to hurt my daughter in such a way.

Thank you all.
BenMax
Old June 21st, 2010, 01:34 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Poor little thing

Sending many and your way
Old June 21st, 2010, 01:36 PM

BenMax...sending all of the above for you, your daughter and the little kitty...

Old June 21st, 2010, 01:37 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

You have all the prayers I can give coming your way BM.
What is kitty eating? Do you know what she was eating in the shelter? Is she eating lots of canned food with added water? Sometimes that is what it takes to get them turned around. I know you know that. I would think this is something that may have been brewing for quite a while.
Will keep my fingers for you and your daughter and kitty.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 21st, 2010, 01:42 PM
-

Prayers going her way BenMax and to yourself and your Daughter.

You may/may not know that I have been dealing with Herbie and his constipation for several years, at times it is quite serious and he has to spend some time at the Vets. The last episode occurring just two weeks ago. Sometimes if the blockage is severe a manual evacuation is necessary, this is sometimes done under sedation and other times it is not necessary to sedate.

Please advise your Daughter not to panic, it can be dealt with successfully....Feeding canned food only, mixed with water (I make Herbie's like a thick soup) is paramount in controlling a kittie that has problems defecating.
Old June 21st, 2010, 01:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
You have all the prayers I can give coming your way BM.
What is kitty eating? Do you know what she was eating in the shelter? Is she eating lots of canned food with added water? Sometimes that is what it takes to get them turned around. I know you know that. I would think this is something that may have been brewing for quite a while.
Will keep my fingers for you and your daughter and kitty.
The cat was eating canned EVO only mixed with water. Once home, she was eating both canned with water and some crunchies as well (Acana - lamb). We wanted her to put on weight and that is why the canned food was important. We noticed as well however that she was not big on drinking water.

At the shelter she was on W/D. The vet said that this may be for the rest of her life. Your thoughts on this?

Thanks for the good wishes. I am so very upset that I gave this cat to my daughter. Had I known I would not have given her this cat.
Old June 21st, 2010, 03:15 PM

I hope kitty turns out alright.

Jenny, the one I grew up with
Shani, the one who brought me the greatest joy
Casimir, who left far too soon
Old June 21st, 2010, 03:18 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post

At the shelter she was on W/D. The vet said that this may be for the rest of her life. Your thoughts on this?
BM , my late cat Dweezil had to be on Medi-Cal Fiber all his life , well , when he first started to get constipation , he spent 3 days at the vet , from then on , he would get constipated again if I fed him anything else than the Medi-Cal Fiber. So I had no choice , I fed him the Medi-Cal.

so sorry about your daughter's kitty
Old June 21st, 2010, 04:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Sorry that you and your daughter and her sweet kitty are going through this.....

Quote:
If she is one of those cats that actually does need extra fibre in her diet, there are better ways to go about it than with the incredibly bad ingredients of W/D. A good canned food with some added psyllium husk or slippery elm (and LOTS of additional water), or some shredded low-glycemic vegetables like zucchini or green beans can be useful. A bit of aloe vera juice (without any sodium benzoate) helps if it's a motility issue, or a perhaps a regime of lactulose may be required. Probiotics are also something to consider.

Here is some info on constipation, and although it focuses on diabetic cats, it has good info for any situation: http://petdiabetes.wikia.com/wiki/Constipation

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old June 21st, 2010, 05:28 PM

Low carb wet food with water++

Also cats on this diet dont drink much, if any, straight water.
Old June 21st, 2010, 05:36 PM
Live well, laugh often

Add my thoughts and prayers for this poor kitty .

Old June 21st, 2010, 05:38 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
The cat was eating canned EVO only mixed with water. Once home, she was eating both canned with water and some crunchies as well (Acana - lamb). We wanted her to put on weight and that is why the canned food was important. We noticed as well however that she was not big on drinking water.

Thanks for the good wishes. I am so very upset that I gave this cat to my daughter. Had I known I would not have given her this cat.
Maybe that's why she was turned in in the first place. We won't know. It's unfortunate that she is going through this. I don't think your daughter will mind.
A lot of cats aren't big on drinking water. That is why it's so important that they get their water with their food, not beside it. Adding extra to her food sure won't hurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
Sorry that you and your daughter and her sweet kitty are going through this.....

If she is one of those cats that actually does need extra fibre in her diet, there are better ways to go about it than with the incredibly bad ingredients of W/D. A good canned food with some added psyllium husk or slippery elm (and LOTS of additional water), or some shredded low-glycemic vegetables like zucchini or green beans can be useful. A bit of aloe vera juice (without any sodium benzoate) helps if it's a motility issue, or a perhaps a regime of lactulose may be required. Probiotics are also something to consider.

Here is some info on constipation, and although it focuses on diabetic cats, it has good info for any situation: http://petdiabetes.wikia.com/wiki/Constipation

My thoughts on this. What SCM says!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 21st, 2010, 05:44 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Awww, the poor kitty

This could also be a nervous system problem that the nerves are not signalling the bowels to move. A very high quality canned that produces minimal residue is usually the best for the kitty.

Sending lots of and am hoping it is due to stress and will go away once the kitty settles in more

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old June 21st, 2010, 10:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Benmax, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family and the kitty.
I hope whatever is going on can be remedied and that kitty will make a full recovery.
Hugs to you, please let us know whats happening.
Wendellan~ Feline~ 10(ish)
Theedee~Feline~10(ish)
"Da-Goob"~ APBT/Dogo x (5-6ish)

"My Pitbulls are better behaved than your kids!" (my favorite bumper sticker)
Old June 21st, 2010, 11:34 PM
Mickey, my angel

Just sending for you and your daughter and that little kitty makes a speedy recovery.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009
Old June 22nd, 2010, 01:52 AM
~Cat Servent~

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old June 22nd, 2010, 01:52 AM
Senior Contributor

BM...sending prayers for the kitty. I hope she will be ok soon.

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old June 22nd, 2010, 10:08 AM
Senior Contributor

Thank you all so much.

SCM - BIG THANK YOU. I knew I could count on you for more information.

Things are going just OK. She is back at the shelter and they are monitoring. If there is no improvement and she backs up again, I am going to get her and bring her to my vet. Not that I don't trust theirs but I have such a great vet and need her opinion. So fingers crossed that she is doing well.

I will keep you all updated.
Old June 22nd, 2010, 03:00 PM
Senior Contributor

BM just saw this thread now. I sure hope that the kitty improves. No advice to offer,you've gotten plenty. hugs to you and your daughter with prayers that kitty comes around swiftly.
Old June 22nd, 2010, 03:05 PM
150% PRO S/N

BM - just a thought here. Is it possible she is suffering from Fatty Liver Disease (not sure if that's possible for one so young and thin) because of being starved earlier in her life? I would venture to say her problem is from the starvation period.
Is she going to be living in the shelter now or is your daughter taking her back once things have settled for her?

Old June 22nd, 2010, 03:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
BM - just a thought here. Is it possible she is suffering from Fatty Liver Disease (not sure if that's possible for one so young and thin) because of being starved earlier in her life? I would venture to say her problem is from the starvation period.
Is she going to be living in the shelter now or is your daughter taking her back once things have settled for her?
Since she is near the shelter and I know of no great vets out there, I asked them to take the cat and consult with their vet (mind you I must take care of the bill). The cat is suppose to be back at the shelter today with meds and under observation. If the cat blocks up again, I am having her brought to me to see my vet for a work up to find out what the heck is going on with her. Once the cat (Suki) is better and stronger, she goes back to my daughter. If this is going to be a problem forever....well looks like I have cat #7! But in saying that, my daughter really wants her cat back.
Old June 22nd, 2010, 03:45 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Since she is near the shelter and I know of no great vets out there, I asked them to take the cat and consult with their vet (mind you I must take care of the bill). The cat is suppose to be back at the shelter today with meds and under observation. If the cat blocks up again, I am having her brought to me to see my vet for a work up to find out what the heck is going on with her. Once the cat (Suki) is better and stronger, she goes back to my daughter. If this is going to be a problem forever....well looks like I have cat #7! But in saying that, my daughter really wants her cat back.

Thanks mf. My next statement was going to be if she was back in the shelter for good I would adopt her. Don't know if we would have a place to live when I would have to tell hubby yet another cat was moving into the house but..............
I know you would not have left her there without good reason but wanted to double check. Thank you for setting this ol' gals' mind at rest.

Old June 22nd, 2010, 03:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Ben-Max,I hope little Suki pulls through for you and your daughter,I agree with 14+,her starvation might be the cause for this.
Sending all 3 of you
Old June 23rd, 2010, 08:16 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Thanks mf. My next statement was going to be if she was back in the shelter for good I would adopt her. Don't know if we would have a place to live when I would have to tell hubby yet another cat was moving into the house but..............
I know you would not have left her there without good reason but wanted to double check. Thank you for setting this ol' gals' mind at rest.
Oh heavens No. If I make the committement then it is a done deal. I told her that she had a home and I mean it. Whether it is with my daughter or myself, she will never be in danger of rehoming or being surrendered. So no worries there. I brought her back there as I am 2.5 hours from where my daughter lives. But I learned a very valuable lesson in all this. Can you believe...I never thought of sourcing out a good vet BEFORE taking her. I should have done this! My bad, but there you go - something we can pass onto people BEFORE they get a pet. See - you learn something new every darn day and even I who have been doing this for years neglected this very important and obvious part when adopting. Go figure.

Suki was de-clogged and doing great. She is moving around and eating very well as well as deficating normal stools. The vet is going to advise me on her future today. Once she is sturdy, I am bringing her to Montreal to see my vet for more work up to pinpoint the problem as they still are not sure but they did say that the starvation could be the culpret.

So thank you all so much for your prayers and good wishes. It appears that they are received!!!!
Old June 23rd, 2010, 08:29 AM
Senior Contributor

BM, I'm so glad Suki has come through this. Perhaps she may need a special diet if this is something she's going to be dealing with regularly, but that's something that I'm sure is quite doable.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old June 23rd, 2010, 08:39 AM
-

So glad kitty is doing good ! woot woot !!

I wonder if smaller meals , many times a day , would help with cat's constipation problems ?
Old June 23rd, 2010, 01:34 PM
Senior Contributor

BenMax,that's great newsnothing is more exciting than normal poop
Old June 23rd, 2010, 02:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
BenMax,that's great newsnothing is more exciting than normal poop
No kidding...was so happy to hear that a cat pooped.
Old June 23rd, 2010, 05:22 PM

Yay! I am so glad she is ok
Old June 23rd, 2010, 05:58 PM
Senior Contributor

bn, that is great news about suki pooping!!

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)