Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 20th, 2013, 03:30 PM

Thx hazelrunpack,

They could be pigmentation spots. I'll try to post a picture. I know that when she use to have itchy feet in the summer she would lick her feet and they would turn a red/brown color. This type of color seems to be around her privates from licking but the belly spots are light brown. I had read about soy milk helping another dog so thought I would give it a try in the form of the eden organic black soy beans and flax seed since these are high in phytoestrogen. Timber has never had a food in the past that contained soy so didn't think she would react to it but who knows. I'll just stop giving it for now. At the time the vet gave me the estrogen pills, her urine was checked and no infection was found but the vet never said anything about yeast. As far as I can tell she doesn't have any signs of a yeast infection otherwise, although I don't know how it manifests itself in dogs. Just remember hearing to watch for belly spots.
Old February 21st, 2013, 10:02 AM

This picture is not the greatest but shows the light brown spots which I think may just be pigmentation spots like Hazel suggested. I was thinking of taking her to a different vet because my regular vet has looked at her 3x now and says it is red from her licking which I know but I would like to figure out why she is licking. She gave me some hibitane cream (anti-fungal/antibacterial) and some hibitane medicated soap. I could tell the cream was irritating her so I purchased some medicated wipes with witch hazel and have tried to use those but it is obvious that it is still irritated. The vet said that her vulva is recessed and perhaps urine is irritating the area. She gave me the stilbestrol (estrogen) pills. I don't know what to do. Maybe corn starch to keep the area dry. She does have more fat on her belly which could prevent air circulation especially over night. I notice she is mostly itchy in first thing in the morning. I also have a very mild tea tree wash from the body shop? I don't know if that would work or if she has just developed dermatitis from constantly licking. There doesn't seem to be ant discharge or urine that I have noticed. Should have probably stared a new thread for this problem

Last edited by SuperWanda; February 25th, 2013 at 02:13 PM.
Old February 21st, 2013, 04:19 PM

Thanks for the kudos on our fb page everyone!

Katie's still doing really well. Been off doxy for 12 days now and still no bleeds!

We went to a homeopathic vet on Tuesday, it was very interesting and different. He was really nice and Katie seemed to really like him (she's generally not a fan of regular vets). He gave us some different supplements and 2 homeopathic remedies, we'll see how it goes!

SW- glad Timber's doing well, hope the spots on her belly aren't a big issue. Oh and I think we've decided Connor (our 13 yr old lab) can't hear well anymore, but he does a good job of hiding it! After you told me Shiloh can't hear well, I started to wonder about Connor.
Old February 21st, 2013, 05:22 PM

Gosh, so sorry for the ginormous picture. Why is it so huge? Wasn't like that in my files on the computer

Glad to hear that Katie is doing well and you haven't had any bleeding.

In some ways a lack of hearing is good for our Shiloh. Last season, she didn't seem to be bothered by the thunderstorms or fireworks. However, in trying to communicate I basically have to shout. She at least knows a few hand signals so that helps.

With Timber, it is just a frustrating to not know why she is itchy. I'm probably overly paranoid about yeast with her on the doxy. Perhaps having a recessed vulva is a problem in itself. She never had any issues with it before though.
Old February 21st, 2013, 10:10 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Macie's vulva isn't nearly that recessed, but she gets darker staining like that on occasion, too--and seems itchy. She has a similar issue with the creases in her jowls--they're very deep and catch moisture and dirt and get very dark and itchy. A dilute (1:3) solution of apple cider vinegar and water helps with the jowls, but I've never had the guts to try it around her vulva--strikes me as maybe causing a little too much stinging if the skin is irritated. But I've been tempted when she seems the most uncomfortable (normally during the spring thaw when it's damper outside).

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 23rd, 2013, 01:18 PM
Senior Contributor

I have tried to post a couple of times, and each time when I hit this site, my modem has gone out I fear it is slowly dying, as it has done that before (yay AT&T quality!!) Tried to post on my phone, but I"m getting too old to see

Anyway, so that's what a recessed vulva looks like!

I am not a fan of soy either, I try to avoid it at all costs, because it can also at the same time, depress thyroid function and many dogs have issues with soy. I guess all estrogens can though. I do like the flaxseed as a nat'l estrogen replacement for spayed females, and I give that to all my dogs.

Yes, those belly spots are what I saw in Max. I used the Pau D'Arco, and later I was using a tick herbal, Cumanda, which seemed to help with that, though he was so complicated, I'm not sure. And then, to fuzzy things more, it could just be pigment. But, seems not combined with everything else. Doxy, our wonder drug, is still a drug and an antibiotic

I've been using D-mannose here for my girl's urinary issues (cystitis or ongoing infection, not sure), but some sites seem to say that it's effective for fungal issues too: http://www.autismtreatmentcenter.org...um=35&topic=38 (have to search the page for mannose).

CK, my old girl, many years ago, I treated using classical homeopathy. It worked very well for her.
Old February 25th, 2013, 01:09 PM

Katie hit one month with no nosebleeds yesterday! Yay! We're concerned that it may only be from the doxycycline, but even if that's the case, I guess we can cycle her back onto it.

As far as the homeopathy, it's tough to know if it's doing anything to the cancer since nose bleeds were her only symptom. But, Katie has always been kind of neurotic and anxious (weird for a lab), but the last couple of days she's seemed calmer and more confident...very interesting. I looked up the indications for the homeopathic remedy she was given and it's generally indicated for "fearful, anxious..." people. If nothing else, it's cool that she seems less nervous about stuff!

Hope everyone else's pups are doing well!!
Old February 25th, 2013, 01:15 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Great news, C&K!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 25th, 2013, 02:36 PM

Now that everyone has been acquainted with a recessed vulva I have deleted that pic due to it's massive size

Thanks for the antifungal remedies MaxaLisa. I am trying to be diligent washing and using the cream and cornstarch to relieve the itch and I think it is helping.

It's good to hear your experience with the homeopathic remedies C&K. It's something I would still consider for Timber. That is interesting about the anti-anxiety effects. Our Shiloh has had separation anxiety her entire life. We have tried everything from thunder coats to medication to behavior training but perhaps homeopathy would be helpful for her as well. I still plan my life around her issues. I have a ritual before I leave her but it has never worked 100%. I think it has gotten worse now that she can't hear.
Old March 10th, 2013, 06:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Jazz here has separation anxiety. Her holistic vet just prescribed a GABA supplement to help with the general anxiety. Will be interesting to see if it works.
Old March 14th, 2013, 01:30 PM

I'd be interested to know if you have any success with that MaxaLisa. I have found it a difficult thing to deal with over the years.

BTW, Timber seems to be really happy these days. My husband just commented on how well she seems to be doing. Her nose still sounds stuffy but it hasn't been overly stuffy so I haven't given any doxy since a month ago.

C&K, I hope Katie is still feeling well!
Old March 16th, 2013, 05:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWanda View Post
I'd be interested to know if you have any success with that MaxaLisa. I have found it a difficult thing to deal with over the years.

BTW, Timber seems to be really happy these days. My husband just commented on how well she seems to be doing. Her nose still sounds stuffy but it hasn't been overly stuffy so I haven't given any doxy since a month ago.

C&K, I hope Katie is still feeling well!
I'm glad that Timber is feeling so well, that is huge, and it sure helps with your stress level!

You know, that GABA sure was making a positive difference, even the staff at the daycare commented on what a great time she was having during the day. She had what we think is an IBD flair, so she's off of all supplements right now.

GABA:
http://www.thorne.com/media/pdfs/gaba_flyer.pdf
http://www.iherb.com/Thorne-Research...gie-Caps/41914 (wow, my vet must have mis-labeled these, she charged me $16.20)
Old March 26th, 2013, 12:33 PM

I think I need some GABA!
Old March 26th, 2013, 01:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Old April 6th, 2013, 06:17 PM

Just checking in...

great to see it sounds like everyone doing well! Katie's still doing great! We're attempting to buy a house, so things are pretty crazy here and I haven't had as much time to research for Katie, but I guess that's ok, since what we're doing seems to be working, just hope it continues!
Old April 7th, 2013, 06:20 PM
Senior Contributor

If Katie is holding her own, that's great! Good luck with all the other stuff
Old April 10th, 2013, 04:06 PM

Glad you guys are doing well. Timber is beginning to sound a little stuffy again so might start another round of doxy otherwise she seems pretty good.

We seem to be having a very late spring so lots of snow for her to enjoy which makes her even happier!

Good luck on the house!
Old May 7th, 2013, 09:39 PM

Just wanted to check in with some positive news. We had our Spring check with the vet and when she tried to palpate the tumor via soft palate area she felt it might be a little smaller! Last she wrote in her notes it was golf ball size and now feels a little smaller and so she suspects it is slow growing.

I have been slacking a little on my supplement regime so this just kick started me into getting back into things if it is indeed helping or at least keeping it from growing and therefore spreading.

That being said our 14 year old is really slowing down this year and seems to be experiencing some hind end and/or hind leg weakness and is sleeping much more. We ran a blood sample on her so hopefully nothing serious comes back from that but she has lost about a kg since last year at this time. You can tell in her hip/spinal area where her bones seem to be protruding a little. She eats really well but I hope it is nothing more than age related but it still makes me sad to actually see some deterioration at this point. Although, I know I am thankful that I still have her at this age for her size of 60lbs. I'll start a new thread on this topic if anything comes from the blood results.
Old May 8th, 2013, 08:42 AM

That's great news for Timber SuperWanda!

Katie is still doing great too! Her big 5K race is this weekend! And it's been over 3 months since her diagnosis now.

Connor sounds just like Shiloh...he's getting a little weaker and slower. He can't jump in and out of the back of the car anymore- he still tries and we have to stop him or he falls After you told me about Shiloh losing hearing we started to suspect Connor, and yep, he hears very little, took us a long time to figure it out since we have always used a lot of hand signals and he takes a lot of cues from Katie. But he still loves to go for walks, lay outside in the sun, EAT, and get attention, so just like Katie, we'll love & spoil him as much as we can for as long as we can

Hope everyone else is doing well too!
Old May 11th, 2013, 10:02 AM

Good luck to you and Katie in the race this weekend! Glad she is still doing well. Have you had any nose bleeds?

We invested in a dog ramp years ago since Timber has never been very agile. Purchased from Costco (petstep brand) and has really been helpful, especially in these senior years. It's a little heavy and you need the room to lug it around in the car but it is very stable and has a rubber type, anti-slip coating.
Old May 11th, 2013, 12:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Great news on both! Don't slack off the regimen, very encouraging

How did the bloodwork come back for your other?
Old May 16th, 2013, 04:24 PM

Thanks MaxaLisa,

Hope you guys are doing well!

The results for Shiloh's blood panel were not too bad. She did have slightly elevated liver enzymes and her amylase and lipase were high as well as sodium and potassium. Her sodium and potassium were high the last time and the vet suggested this may be due to dehydration or maybe it is normal for her. The amylase and lipase can indicate some pancreatitis although she doesn't seem to show any major symptoms. I have noticed, but this is really something that she has had her entire life, a sensitive system with respect to digestion. If I change things in the diet it can set off some loose stool or sometimes she vomits undigested food. I can't give her fish oil because it also seems to bring on loose stool so am to just watch fat intake.

I have never given digestive enzymes but am now looking into that. Plant form vs animal form, that is the question. I think I read that the animal form like porcine pancreatin (amylase, lipase and protease) is the best for pancreatitis. Like usual, I don't like the look of any dog supplements so will try a human one. I liked the look of NOW pancreatin or NOW super enzymes so might see if that helps. She has lost a kg so maybe it is also because of the inefficient ability to digest.

But, overall, not too bad for my eldest!
Old May 17th, 2013, 09:59 AM
Senior Contributor

Good to hear about the bllod results!

My girl lived with simmering chronic pancreatitis and I had to be careful what I fed her - food allergies can make it worse (a can parasites). During a flair she would need panacur. But she wa also a Lyme dog, and often that seems to cause pancreas problems.

I ued thi product for her: http://m.vitacost.com/jarrow-formula...g-100-capsules

There are stronger products though. Later in life, she needed that and an plant baed one, it was weird.

Have no clue about the elevated electrolytes, but overall that's a good report!
Old June 30th, 2013, 04:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Hope everything is going okay with Timber and Katie?
Old August 19th, 2013, 11:51 AM

Sorry for the late reply - took some holidays which seemed to fly by.

Timber is still doing well, thanks for asking MaxaLisa. We had a cooler July which she enjoyed but it is now pretty hot and humid. She still sounds stuffy at times but it seems to come and go. I took another break from my supplement program and she hasn't had any doxy for at least a month. Timber was diagnosed in October (her birthday month) so if we celebrate her 13 birthday this year (and I imagine we will), I will be overjoyed! She doesn't seem to be getting worse as far as I can tell but I can't see what is happening inside. Only try to assess it from her breathing and how she is feeling and she is doing great at this point!

I would also be interested in hearing how Katie is doing?

Hope you all enjoyed your summer.
Old August 19th, 2013, 04:11 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

That's an awesome update, SW! Go, Timber!!!

Old August 21st, 2013, 11:11 AM

This has been the most helpful thread since researching this horrible cancer, I have cried reading your stories and I'm sorry to say I'm going through it right now.

Oeskes my baby is 10 years and 9 months. Noticed bleeding from the nose (left nostril) 1st August, just trickles. Went straight to the vet and referred to a specialist for CT, confirmed Rhinocarcinoma.

She is on Metacam and I have put her on Sinu-Rite and just about to start Yannen, she is arthritic so the Metacam helps with that as well and seems happy in herself for the moment.

My question is how long? It has travelled to the Lymph Nodes in her neck. She is very snotty at the moment and unfortunately I am going away this weekend taking my daughter and her friend on a trip to Wales. But I feel sick leaving her in the hands of my friend who will have strict instructions.

This will be my first trip away with my daughter for two years due to financial constraints and I don't want to let her down. But I fear for my Ossie.

After reading all your experiences I think I trust you all enough to know you will tell me what's best to do!
Old August 21st, 2013, 12:23 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Oh, Hayleyb, that's such a tough situation. How long will you be in Wales? It's so hard to say how quickly the end will come...every dog is different.

Have you talked to Oeskes' vet? The vet might be able to give you more insight into how she's doing and what your best course of action might be.

I'd also have a heart-to-heart with your friend who will be taking care of Oeskes while you're gone. If this is person you trust implicitly and who Oeskes loves, then even if the worst happens, you'll have comfort in knowing that she's in the best of hands, but make sure you're both prepared for it.

You and Oeskes are in my thoughts and prayers.

Old August 21st, 2013, 10:49 PM

Thank you Hazel. It's only for the weekend, leave Friday back on Monday and yes all the dogs love my friend. Looking at Os now I think it will be fine, just scared as I am her world 24/7.

She has not had any of the major nosebleeds yet that I've read about and looking at timescales it would seem we have a few weeks left.

Am so pleased to have found what seems to be a brilliant support group!

Hxx
Old August 22nd, 2013, 12:07 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWanda View Post
Sorry for the late reply - took some holidays which seemed to fly by.

Timber is still doing well, thanks for asking MaxaLisa. We had a cooler July which she enjoyed but it is now pretty hot and humid. She still sounds stuffy at times but it seems to come and go. I took another break from my supplement program and she hasn't had any doxy for at least a month. Timber was diagnosed in October (her birthday month) so if we celebrate her 13 birthday this year (and I imagine we will), I will be overjoyed! She doesn't seem to be getting worse as far as I can tell but I can't see what is happening inside. Only try to assess it from her breathing and how she is feeling and she is doing great at this point!

I would also be interested in hearing how Katie is doing?

Hope you all enjoyed your summer.
I'm glad to hear that Timber is doing well!! I would be careful not to get behind with the doxy, but sure is nice to be able to take a break from it here and there.

I looked at Katie's FB page, and she hasn't posted this month. I hope everything is okay