Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old December 13th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Senior Contributor

Sheeba cat food

I'd just about given up on any canned for the Fantastic Four. When I give them canned they have a few bites and walk away, and the food stays there rotting. If I put some away in the fridge they won't have anything to do with it.

So I'd decided to just give them Wellness kibbles, since they like it and I know its good for them.

I decided to give Sheeba a try. I remembered a while back I'd bought some and Oksana, my pickiest eater really liked it. So yesterday I went online and read a bit on the company and the food. It wasn't part of any of the food recalls and its made from real chicken, tuna, duck.

I gave all of them some this morning, and to my surprise, everyone, including the Little Miss, devoured it! It's a little more expensive than the other canned, but its worth it knowing they love it, and I like that they are chopped pieces so that they can all chew and rip as they need to.

Anyone else here ever try this?
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old December 13th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Senior Contributor

Sheeba was the treat-food for my cats. The Christmas Day Special. The after-a-long-vaccation peace offering. Normally they had Whiskas and loved that, but for a treat ... SHEEBA

Then when Spoutnik II turned 12 or so (a rescue, how old is he really?) he had Sheeba every day, and never complained

Frankly, it smells good enough to put on a snadwich with a little mustard!
Old December 13th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Senior Contributor

Let me tell you, I've often looked at that little can and wondered, "How bad can it be?"

Mine all love the chicken, and I really like that its not just in cubes, it's all flaky and they really love it. And its real meat.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old December 13th, 2007, 11:17 AM
~Cat Servent~

I haven't seen that here where I shop, maybe I'll go on a hunt for it and give it a shot here. Especially if there is a duck one. Ya never know... out of six, one or two are bound to like it.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old December 13th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Senior Contributor

Here's the site.

They have some seafood flavors too.

Old December 13th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Mine won't eat it as a steady diet, for canned food, they prefer fancy feast . But from time to time I'll get them the duck one as a treat, that's the one all 4 like.

Cindy
Old December 13th, 2007, 12:57 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAH View Post
Frankly, it smells good enough to put on a snadwich with a little mustard!
It does ? hummm ... Is this food expensive ? ....

Might come in handy after I pay the vet bills
Old December 13th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Senior Contributor

I hear ya Frenchy. I'm getting ready to take Maks and Kiska in to get S&N, and also my stray Czarina. I might be feasting on that myself soon.

Old December 13th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm not sure I'd go that far, but I can see us living on peanut butter and kraft dinner if the pet costs keep going up

Cindy
Old December 13th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Senior Contributor

I've been known to live on bread and cheese for a couple of weeks. Toast is my best friend.

My feeling is, they should never go hungry as long as I can afford to give them what they like, even if it means cutting back on some of my own food.

Rice is cheap, and so are potato's. LOL, and hey who doesn't like Ramen noodles?

Old December 14th, 2007, 05:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Is this the Sheba Premium Cuts that come in the little dome? Just a word of warning that this is not a balanced diet and shouldn't make up more than 20%of your cat's food. Hopefully it says somewhere on the container (probably in very fine print) that it's "intended for intermittent or supplemental feeding only". There is no taurine or any added vitamins and minerals, just water, meat, tapioca starch and guar gum. Makes a good treat (although a pricey one), but I wouldn't recommend it for meals.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old December 14th, 2007, 06:32 PM
Senior Contributor

They don't eat much of it. Since its the only canned they will have, I give them just a bit, but they mainly have the Wellness dry. That's really the one thing I've found that they all consistently like.

I don't know what to give them at this point. The Nutro Max canned they have a couple of bites and walk away. The Iams, the same thing. I've tried Pet Gold, same result. The thing they like the most is Fancy Feast, and even that after a couple of days they get tired of.

I think they're trying to tell me something. I've even tried giving them the Wellness canned and they still don't eat much of it.

I'm just going to keep giving them what they will eat and what they like. At least the Wellness is good for them. When Vlad was still a wee thing, I gave him mostly dry. Once I got Oksana I'd give them canned once maybe twice a week, and other than Oksana's tummy and difficulty getting rid of her hairballs, they are both very healthy.

Maks has no problem going and eating his kibble. The couple of days I was giving him canned again, he still preferred his dry, so that's what he likes.

Old December 14th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
The thing they like the most is Fancy Feast, and even that after a couple of days they get tired of.
Where would we be without finicky cats.
OK, you're all going to think I'm nuts, but my cat feeding regime is complex but for canned food it's worked for me for years.
My 3 indoor and one outdoor cat all demand variety, in canned and dry. The dry I have mainly orijen, but mix in fancy feast dry and kirkland dry. That's been working well for a number of months now. They got bored with nothing but orijen so I had to spice it up a bit.
Indoor cats get 1 bowl of dry each day between the 3 girls. Outdoor cats get 2 or more.
The fancy feast canned, I buy between 3 and 4 cases, (yes cases of 24 cans each), each week. One week I buy a case of tender beef, salmon and chicken and liver. The next week, I case of tender beef (obviously the favorite variety), tuna and grilled chicken and a case of turkey and giblets or beef and liver pate. All are pate varieties except for the grilled chicken, it's what they all prefer.
Hubby laughs at me because when I come home with the cases, I have to arrange all the food in stacks of six cans per stack alernating all the varieties, so the cats never get the same type (other than the beef sometimes) 2 meals in a row, or they'll turn there noses up at it. A few years ago, I used to toss out lots of uneaten cat food, not the case anymore. Inside and outside bowls are always cleaned up. They get a lot, 2 cans (yes 2 different varieties) in one bowl for both the indoor cats (1 bowl for 3 girls inside, 2 bowls for big male and neighbours cat and the strays outside.) Twice a day for the indoor cats, 3 times or more for the outdoor cats. Plus they all love those temptations cat treats, so they all get their own individual little pile of those each day. No fat cats, just happy cats and I'm happy I don't throw out uneaten food or worry about who isn't eating. The girls take turns eating and I make sure they are all eating and drinking, the outdoor cats are eating a lot in this cold weather and I make sure they all get enough.
I have a pantry dedicated to nothing but dog and cat food. It's always full, our human food pantry, no so
Our human food choices don't have the same variety either, can't afford it.

Cindy
Old December 15th, 2007, 03:02 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm
I have to arrange all the food in stacks of six cans per stack alernating all the varieties, so the cats never get the same type (other than the beef sometimes) 2 meals in a row,

....I do that too.
Old December 15th, 2007, 07:04 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm View Post
Where would we be without finicky cats.
OK, you're all going to think I'm nuts, but my cat feeding regime is complex but for canned food it's worked for me for years.
My 3 indoor and one outdoor cat all demand variety, in canned and dry. The dry I have mainly orijen, but mix in fancy feast dry and kirkland dry. That's been working well for a number of months now. They got bored with nothing but orijen so I had to spice it up a bit.
Indoor cats get 1 bowl of dry each day between the 3 girls. Outdoor cats get 2 or more.
The fancy feast canned, I buy between 3 and 4 cases, (yes cases of 24 cans each), each week. One week I buy a case of tender beef, salmon and chicken and liver. The next week, I case of tender beef (obviously the favorite variety), tuna and grilled chicken and a case of turkey and giblets or beef and liver pate. All are pate varieties except for the grilled chicken, it's what they all prefer.
Hubby laughs at me because when I come home with the cases, I have to arrange all the food in stacks of six cans per stack alernating all the varieties, so the cats never get the same type (other than the beef sometimes) 2 meals in a row, or they'll turn there noses up at it. A few years ago, I used to toss out lots of uneaten cat food, not the case anymore. Inside and outside bowls are always cleaned up. They get a lot, 2 cans (yes 2 different varieties) in one bowl for both the indoor cats (1 bowl for 3 girls inside, 2 bowls for big male and neighbours cat and the strays outside.) Twice a day for the indoor cats, 3 times or more for the outdoor cats. Plus they all love those temptations cat treats, so they all get their own individual little pile of those each day. No fat cats, just happy cats and I'm happy I don't throw out uneaten food or worry about who isn't eating. The girls take turns eating and I make sure they are all eating and drinking, the outdoor cats are eating a lot in this cold weather and I make sure they all get enough.
I have a pantry dedicated to nothing but dog and cat food. It's always full, our human food pantry, no so
Our human food choices don't have the same variety either, can't afford it.

Cindy
You've got it down then! I can see I'm going to have to make some sort of similar deal here. For dry I've been feeding mainly Wellness for a while, but I started noticing yesterday not much eaten food. So I'd gone to the pet store and I did get for Maks Purina One kitten. I'd read that it has yogurt in the food for kittens sensitive tummies, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I mixed a little bit of that in with his food and did the same for everyone else, since they ALL eat bits out of each other's bowls.

I won't feel comfortable feeding Maks canned for a while, since his tummy just doesn't seem to handle it well. But I had been trying the variety of canned for the others. I was buying Nutro Max but they got tired of it.

They do like Fancy Feast, quite a bit actually. I may have to try your idea and see if that will work.

Now I've also got to buy some hairball remedy food because Kiska is having the same hairball issues as Oksana. I heard her doing the same kind of grunting noises Oksana makes when she's having issues.

I don't know if Kiska is too young to give Laxatone to, but I'm taking a basket to the vet's office later this morning so I'll ask them when I go.

Old December 16th, 2007, 07:13 AM

It is not a balanced food, and no good as a staple in the diet, it says right on the package it is not meant for this. My cat loves it, she gets one every Sunday. It is 1.00 per, but there are buy one get one free coupons!
Old December 16th, 2007, 07:35 AM
Senior Contributor

clm actually had some great advice. I've been mixing the fancy feast flavors, and so far they all seem to be pleased. I've also been giving Maks some mixed in with some dry. Hopefully that will keep him from getting diarrhea again because of the kibble and still give him some wet food.

I'll give this a try. Hopefully they will go for it.

Old December 16th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Great news Ancient Girl. I'm glad the variety thing is working for you. Cats seems to demand it more than dogs, although my dogs get nothing but the Orijen dry, it's mixed in with wellness canned. They too get tired of the same thing every meal, so I have to alternate between the 95% chicken and turkey and the duck and chick with sweet potatoes.
I have to put more thought into the fur kids meals than our own. Hubby won't feed any of them until he's checked with me to see what they've all eaten the meal before.

Cindy
Old December 16th, 2007, 02:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Well, I'd been giving Maks some of the wet mixed with his dry, but he threw it up this morning.

For him, I really think I'm going to have to stick with dry until he gets a little older. I don't want to keep putting him through this.

He's not had a problem on dry, not like when I've been giving him canned. So I'll just give him a break from it for a while.

The others though seemed pleased with the change. Oksana still won't eat all of it, but she eats what she does with a bit more pleasure.

All in all, I think they all just prefer dry. I'll still give them canned, even though they don't eat all of it. I'll just have to split a couple of cans between them so its not all thrown away.

Old December 17th, 2007, 05:43 AM

I put the dry away when I go to bed so she is hungrier and can hold more of the canned presented in the AM. Every few hours, I add water, nuke it for 10 seconds, and repeat this until it's all gone. Then the dry is put back out to much on until bedtime.
Old December 17th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Senior Contributor

That's a good suggestion too. I leave it out for them all night. But if makes sense to just put it away.