Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 5th, 2008, 02:39 AM
Senior Contributor

Fleas!

Thank dog this is not my problem. Yet.
My neighbour downstairs has a young cat that picked up a bad case of fleas. He treated him with an OTC remedy. Predictably, the problem didn't go away (apparently this product makes their eggs sterile but doesn't kill the adult fleas).
So after checking with the vet that there was no contraindication, we applied a tube of Revolution. Cat stayed outside (and has been outside since :sad and the apartment was vacuumed and steam-cleaned, all bedding washed and dried at the highest temperatures.
One of the biggest issues is that the fleas like my neighbour almost as much as the cat; his ankles and calves are covered with bites. He is still being bitten alive.
He called a pet store and they told him that the fleas would die off naturally, since the cat - for the moment anyway - is not a friendly host. Is this true?
What does he do next? I have a feeling this may be the straw that breaks the camel's back, he never had much feeling for the cat and bought it for his daughter, who doesn't even live with him full-time. Plus unfortunately he has a drinking problem which makes it hard for him to set the money aside for a snip.
Old September 5th, 2008, 06:06 AM
Owned by goldens

Fleas

I think he should be spraying his apartment with a flea spray as well. The fleas will continue to live as long as they can eat and they are doing that by biting him. He msut spray areas where the cat slept as well as baseboards.
Old September 5th, 2008, 07:21 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

krdahmer is very knowledgeable on getting rid of fleas, maybe give her a quick PM.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 5th, 2008, 08:12 AM
NOT a senior member

I know how frustrating fleas can be, when I lived on the west coast they were a huge problem...and they always seemed to bite me! I was covered in bites on my lower legs almost all the time when we had pets there.

Having moved to Alberta ten or so years ago solved my problem. I haven't seen a single flea since living in this province, and have totally forgotten that this is an issue for alot of pet owners. I suppose our climate is inhospitable to them....harsh winters especially. Also, no tick problems, or rats.

I'm wondering if any posters here in Alberta have actually had a flea problem, or have I just been really lucky?

My loyal menagerie... (all neutered, spayed, and gelded...and YOU aren't safe either!)

Ruben (Bullmastiff)
Emmy (Miniature Pinscher)
Petie (Miniature Pinscher)
Shadow (Miniature Pinscher)
Zoe (APBT)
Tito (Paint Gelding)
Francesca (Miniature Horse Filly)
Vincenzo (APHA gelding)

Lots of fishies......
Old September 5th, 2008, 08:19 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Badger i'm going to suggest for your own safety, treat your place and your fuzzkids. All it takes is the neighbour to come to your place once with a flea on him, and uhoh....
Old September 5th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Swift Tribe

vacuuming with a reasonable vacuum also helps a great deal. badger, treat your cats with the usual frontline-ish stuff. i doubt you will ever have much of a problem. i would not go so far as to putting chemicals into your floor or carpeting. often times that does more harm to your kitties than the fleas you dont have yet. yes, the fleas will die off eventually... they may be able to lay some eggs off of what they eat from your neighbor but most of them will bite the cat if she is there and become sterile.

we get them down here so bad sometimes that you have to leave your home for 3 days, jack the heat up past 100f and let the heat dry them out.

-ash

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old September 5th, 2008, 09:33 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

you can sprinkle baking soda along the baseboards, fleas are 90% water and the baking soda being a crystal can prick their skin, pop....
Old September 5th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purpledomino View Post
I'm wondering if any posters here in Alberta have actually had a flea problem, or have I just been really lucky?
Nope, not much of an issue with fleas here. I've never so much as seen one, and nobody I know has ever had a problem. There are advantages to living in this cold dry climate!

As for those who do have to deal with them, sprinkling boric acid or diatomaceous earth on carpets (then vacuuming it up) is a much less toxic way to deal with fleas than using sprays. http://paipm.cas.psu.edu/1314.htm

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old September 5th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

The 8 years I lived in AB, I never had a flea problem, never treated my cats, got back to ON, within 2 weeks they had fleas.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 5th, 2008, 11:55 AM
-

That's why I always used Advantage. I treats your pets AND your house
Old September 5th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Fleas

This seems to be an especially bad year for fleas. Just this past week had 2 dogs come in for grooming that were crawling with them so I also use Advantage because its very easy for me to transport them from the grooming room into the main house.
Old September 5th, 2008, 07:48 PM
-

aaaw man i used to hate that when i was a groomer. Do you keep all the dogs for the day in the same room? We'd end up having to clean all the kennels and treat all the dogs just incase.
Old September 6th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Fleas

After the 1st. flea ridden pooch went home I had to javex the whole room, some of the fleas (counted atleast 50) were even still semi-alive in the bath tub and immediately put their trimmed hair in the garbage outside and sprayed the garbage can with carpet flea spray. I try to schedule the dog's arrival at their appointment time so unless am doing 2 from the same owner they are never caged. The towels for drying that pooch were covered in dead flea corpses - ugh!.