Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 10th, 2006, 10:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Hiccups ??

My six month old shih tzu gets hiccups. I had Joey for 5 years and he never had hiccups that I knew about.

I've seen Cooper get the hiccups 3 times. They last about a minute. He's very healthy and playful and has the best disposition ever. Should I be concerned about the hiccups?

I plan on mentioning it to the vet on his next visit but do you think it's something I should call to tell him about? I'm sorry if this is a silly question. I've never had a puppy before and, as I said, Joey never got the hiccups. Is it just the same as with humans? Some people are more prone to them than others? I just wanted to make sure that it's not a sign of something else in doggies.
Old February 10th, 2006, 11:06 PM

I'm in for an answer too. My 3 month old Lab has hiccups.
Old February 10th, 2006, 11:10 PM
Senior Contributor

my female min pin 8 months old has them too, its a sign of growing just like children, my 3 other min pins had it too hope this helps.
Old February 10th, 2006, 11:46 PM

my now 7.5month malamute puppy had hiccups all the time till he was about 6month when they began to taper off. he only gets them occasionaly now. My friends 4month old golden retriever gets them all the time right now. it's just a normal part of puppyhood
Old February 11th, 2006, 04:09 AM

Jemma is 5 and she gets hiccups pretty often. I usually make her growl to distract her and it usually stops the hiccups.

My two fosters get hiccups really, really often. Maybe 1-3 times a day.

The only adult person I know who gets them often is diabetic, so it made me wonder if maybe Jemma might become diabetic. You know, those mental correlations that aren't based on science? It's one of those.
Old February 11th, 2006, 10:54 AM

My Shih Tzu Roxie gets them too from time to time. I asked about it. Apparently it's nothing to to really worry about it. She gets them if she plays to hard etc. The only time we need to worry is when Biscut (my aunts shih tzu, who gets them too) gets them and they are severe. He has a thing where he gets hicupping, then snortting, then throwing up and then he has fits. So we need to calm him when they start and watch him. I can't remember the name of what the vet said he had, but he's the only one with trouble. So unless your dog has trouble with them, the hicups are just anormal part of being a puppy
Old February 11th, 2006, 11:17 AM
Senior Contributor

Thank you so much for your answers. I had thougth that it might be normal but didn't want to assume.

Prin, my father was diabetic and so are both of my brothers but none were, or are, plagued with hiccups.

I am probably diabetic (I'm being a brat about it and won't go through the longer testing since I can control my sugar well with diet) and I do get hiccups rather frequently but I always have.

I hope that your friend having hiccups and diabetes is a coincidence. But sometimes those mind connections are our instincts letting us know to be careful in certain situations.
Old February 11th, 2006, 01:49 PM

Oh, it's probably a coincidence. My sample size is way too small for it to be anything but. At the end of the day, it's just the diaphragm spasming, right? No biggie.
Old February 13th, 2006, 11:30 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

Hiccups and dogs

Here is an answer from the archives which are located here http://www.pets.ca/index-QAarchive.htm and usually answer most of the common questions people have.

Dogs puppies and Hiccups
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=8832

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hiccups are presumed to be a vestigal reminder of the womb: the lungs need some type of strengthing exercise while in a watery environment. Hiccups are a means to exercise the diaphragm, the wide sheet of muscle that seperates the abdomen from the thorax, until the fetus is delivered into a dry environment and must rely on exchanging gases via the lungs.

Hiccups are normal.

Dr. Van Lienden

Dr. Raymond Van Lienden DVM
The Animal Clinic of Clifton
12702 Chapel Road, Clifton
Virginia, U.S.A. 20124
703-802-0490
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old September 8th, 2008, 09:06 PM

Puppies and hiccups

Through much research it seems to be the hiccups in puppies are caused my the ingestion of air into the stomach during eating and drinking. They seem so disapate on their own if the puppy is kept quiet.