Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 7th, 2008, 09:52 PM
border collie mama

Pumpkin adding to food?

Poor little Enzo has had diareha all day. So tomorrow morning if it hasnt solidified i am going to stop by Sobeys to get some. My questions are, What exactly am i feeding him? the pureed kind, i know its not the pie filling kind.. and also how much do i feed him, he is 55lbs i usually give him wet and dry kibble in the morning, should i stop the wet food for now? or keep it up for hydration?
Old September 7th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Live well, laugh often

Has he had the regular amount of poop but just loose? or has he had the OMG, I have to go outside right now, repeat, repeat kind of diarhea? If so I would definately fast him for now and in the morning I would consider giving a small meal of scrambled eggs and some oatmeal (or other bland food) and consider some bland food for a day or two. Pumpkin is great but I find it most useful for dogs with just loose poop versus real diarhea problems.

Hugs for Enzo .
Old September 7th, 2008, 10:16 PM
border collie mama

he has had to go out more than normal today, atleast once every hour and a half and when he yips for it, he means now! so i should fast him from breakfast? and give him scrambled egss a bit later on?
Old September 7th, 2008, 10:20 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by allymack View Post
Poor little Enzo has had diareha all day. So tomorrow morning if it hasnt solidified i am going to stop by Sobeys to get some. My questions are, What exactly am i feeding him? the pureed kind, i know its not the pie filling kind.. and also how much do i feed him, he is 55lbs i usually give him wet and dry kibble in the morning, should i stop the wet food for now? or keep it up for hydration?
I am in a duh mode for knowing what is going on and also knowing "Enzo", but ..for a good fiber additive straight canned pumpkin is what works. Now these fibers help to move things through so you may want to think about giving Enzo some first, and what is his problem? It may make things worse too.
Old September 7th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Live well, laugh often

Quote:
Originally Posted by allymack View Post
he has had to go out more than normal today, atleast once every hour and a half and when he yips for it, he means now! so i should fast him from breakfast? and give him scrambled egss a bit later on?
I would play it by ear. If he is ok tonight then I would probably give him the scrambled eggs for breakfast (skip the regular dog food). If he is still asking to go out all night then I would keep fasting him.
Old September 7th, 2008, 11:51 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Does Enzo get a probiotic, ally? Our dogs always have trouble this time of year--the acorns are just beginning to drop and they find them irresistible. Unfortunately, acorns screw up the balance of organisms in the dogs' guts. We started them on probiotic last year and omg the difference it's made so far this fall!!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 8th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Hazel's Personal Servant

I have also found pumpkin to be useful for both constipation & diarrhea. If one of my dogs has recurring diarrhea though, I normally fast them for a day and then feed white rice & hamburger. And of course if it lasts for more than a day, off to the vet they go.

I normally give about 1/4 cup or so for 120 lb dog.