Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 27th, 2019, 09:27 PM

Cat litter suggestions?

Hi all!

First time poster, came across this site when looking for some advice on a totally different topic!

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a decent (and not too expensive) cat litter that's clumping but doesn't track too bad?

I'm aware there's an obvious trade-off, as for litter to clump it needs to be relatively fine, though after some initial research I've not found any solid answers or any particular brand that seems to pop up more often than others - so I'm reaching out.

Currently using Tesco's own brand premium litter (they were out of Catsan) and I also ordered an Omega Paw large littler box today, which requires clumping litter to be anywhere near effective, so I am after something decent that won't break the bank!

Many thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions

I've recently adopted two kittens which now makes me a four cat household.

I've been using the non clumping cat litter (the pink one from pets at home, 30 litre size) and I'm thinking about possibly changing. the cats now have pink paws and there's a bit of dust, although non are ever dust free.

I personally don't like the wood pellets. I've heard about the clumping cat litter but the one I tried (from Aldi) I didn't particularly like. To be honest I didn't really know what to expect from it.

I've read about 'the worlds best cat litter' (clumping) and it has fantastic reviews, but it's pricey. Although I don't mind paying extra if it's going to last and do a good job.

Having four cats now means i'm cleaning the litter trays out twice a day and a full change about every three days. I've been using a less litter in each tray to try and stretch the cost out.

So, I'm after advice on the best cat litter and perhaps I should change to the clumping type?

Thanks to the advice of all of you, I decided to go with a Clumping of Oko Cat Litter. It seems that this Oko Cat Litter is fragrance-free, natural, and clumping and is rated dust free. After a few days of searching on google, I also found some useful information. I also consulted a few videos on Youtube. Have learned a lot of things.

Some sources I have consulted, there are quite a few posts comparing the brands, hope to help people with the same problem with me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng5laqbocd0
https://catthink.com
https://bestclumpingcatlitter.tumblr...ithout-dust-in

cheers!

Last edited by marianpmcclure; September 2nd, 2019 at 02:23 AM.
Old August 28th, 2019, 08:54 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Hi marianpmcclure,

Welcome!

We've used the 50 pound boxes from Costco before. Qualicat Scoopable cat litter is the name. Pretty sure it's only around 9-10 bucks for 50 LBS.

It's fairly low tracking, but best to put a mat at the litterbox's entrance to catch some stray pieces.
Hope that helps
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old August 28th, 2019, 08:16 PM

That's really helped me. Thank you so much.
Old September 18th, 2019, 05:42 AM

I had a ferret, then these pets weren't yet popular; I had many questions about how to take care of them correctly. I used cat food to feed my ferret and used cat litter for the ferret toilet. I searched for information on the Internet for a long time, for example, as in this article https://bestferretguide.com/best-litter-for-ferrets/ and it helped me to choose the best option for me and my ferret. When my boyfriend gave me a kitten, I also used this cat litter for his toilet and despite the fact that the cat is larger than a ferret, this litter did a great job.
Old April 2nd, 2020, 08:37 AM

It looks to me that you are going for the best value for the money.

I would recommend to go with Dr. Elsey's clumping cat litter. It has it all, fast and good clumping, low tracking and almost completely dust free.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,
Will

Last edited by hazelrunpack; April 6th, 2020 at 09:21 AM. Reason: No promotion, pls