Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 10th, 2010, 08:55 AM

Metacam

Our 6 year old shiz poo was recently diagnosed with possible inflammation of the disc in the back. He weighs about 20.5 pounds and is considered long. He had x-rays taken Thursday and nothing definitive showed up in the x-rays, but the vet is sure there is some degeneration in the disc area as it is very painful when anyone attempts to touch that area. He was given a shot of Metacam and a sedative for the x-ray. We were given an approximate dosage enough to last for 10 days to 2 weeks. All night long he paces, and whimpers, so we are not sure if he is pain or just scared
I was looking for feedback from people with dogs who took Metacam and also if there are any other suggestions.
Right now it is very difficult for him to urinate or "poop" as he loses his balance easily.
So, if there is anyone out there that can help please let us know
thanks
Old July 10th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

garyb welcome aboard! I have a sick cat right now that had been prescribed metacam for pain. I have gone and seen another vet and that vet told me today that they only use metacam as a last resort in a cat that is end state?? it may have caused some of the complications I am going through..... but by the sounds of it I wouldnt continue....I would be back in touch with the vet and let them know whats goign on. metacam is extrememly hard on the kidneys, liver etc..

Good luck

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old July 10th, 2010, 03:49 PM

Just wondering if it is different for a dog. I "googled" the product and found a lot of good things said about it. I think to that the whimpering is caused by the fact that he seems to sleep on his side. My wife actually slept on a small couch last night with Mackenzie (the dog) tucked in beside her. He was on his stomach and there was no whimpering at all.
Old July 10th, 2010, 04:34 PM
Mickey, my angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyb View Post
Just wondering if it is different for a dog. I "googled" the product and found a lot of good things said about it. I think to that the whimpering is caused by the fact that he seems to sleep on his side. My wife actually slept on a small couch last night with Mackenzie (the dog) tucked in beside her. He was on his stomach and there was no whimpering at all.
You are correct. Metacam, when used as prescribed, is considered to be quite safe for use in dogs and there are a number of people on this board who have used this product for their dogs. It can be quite effective in reducing pain and inflammation.

I have never dealt with this particular issue so have no other suggestions. If you posted a new thread with disc inflammation and degeneration in the title you might get more responses from people who have dealt with similar problems.

that Mackenzie feels better soon. Keep us posted.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009

Last edited by mikischo; July 10th, 2010 at 06:37 PM.
Old July 10th, 2010, 06:36 PM
Senior Contributor

My 14 year old ACD, Cuddles, must have hurt her back or tail recently. Pain was causing her to get stressed out,restless and panting, then when I tried to lift her tail to take her temperature she yelped. When squatting to urinate she couldn't lift her tail and would even abort the idea. Just two daily doses of Metacam got her over it, garyb, so hope the Metacam is of some help to your poor dog.
Old July 10th, 2010, 08:50 PM
Senior Contributor

It might be that the metacam just is not strong enough for the amount of pain. My girl (dog) had invertebral disk disease and significant spinal spondylosis in her old age and metacam didn't touch it for pain. Some dogs react differently to meds than other dogs do. I suggest you inform your Vet about what is going on. Perhaps a different med. will work better.
Old July 10th, 2010, 09:27 PM
Young at Heart

I just came on to ask about Metacam and any known side-effects and saw your thread. Sounds like your dog and mine have about the same problem so I'll be watching for helpful information for sure!

Today was Bobby's first dose of Metacam and I'm watching him very carefully since he doesn't tolerate drugs well at all.

Good luck with your dog!
Old July 11th, 2010, 08:30 AM

We are starting day 3 of the Metacam today. I've noticed a very slight improvement between yesterday and today. He has a terrific appetite (which he doesn't normally have) in the mornings, so it has been easier than we thought to give him the meds. The only minor problem so far is opening his mouth to squirt the "stuff" down, but my wife has become an expert at that.
The vet told us it would possibly take the full 10 days to 2 weeks to see any big improvement. So we will continue to give him the Metacam, keep his walking to a minimum (which will be very difficult). We tried a cage at one time a while ago and he refused to stay in it and it would probably cause more bad than good. A small wagon was also suggested, but he hates them (as you can see we spoiled him and he is very finicky).
So, hoping for more feedback and a big hug to all the pets out there that are going through these trying times.
Old July 11th, 2010, 09:58 AM
Senior Contributor

garyb, I never squirt the metacam into the mouth. It must be palatable because if you squirt it on their food they just scoff it down. I myself have a worn disc and some slipped vertebraes causing some problems and anti-inflammatories help so much. I wish they worked as well as Cuddle's metacam though, she only needed two doses. I had been wondering if your vet had suggested cage rest. Pity your little dog isn't used to being in one.
Old July 11th, 2010, 10:11 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

GaryB I too have used Metacam for both my girls with much success. It has a sweet honey taste to it. Neither liked it directly in their mouth but didn't seem to notice hiding it in their food. It could take a few days or several weeks to kick in but it must be working seeing his appetite is better
Old July 11th, 2010, 10:51 AM

Wondering if anybody's pet just sort of falls over as if they are drugged? We have to carry him to the spots where he does his thing and because his legs seem to give out as if there is no strength in them at all. When it comes time for him to urinate we actually have to look under him to make sure he is going.
He doesn't seem to mind the Metacam in his mouth as it is usually followed with his cream cheese treat.
As I mentioned before we tried a cage with him and it was a lost cause. I'm sure his anxiety level is pretty high right now and we just want to keep him as rested as possible. He is sleeping more today, so I guess that's a good sign. He actually slept a few hours in his own bed last night before he woke up and started to whine.
Old July 11th, 2010, 12:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Wondering if anybody's pet just sort of falls over as if they are drugged? We have to carry him to the spots where he does his thing and because his legs seem to give out as if there is no strength in them at all. When it comes time for him to urinate we actually have to look under him to make sure he is going
Your poochie may have a neurological problem connected to the disk that is impairing sensation in the back end. It may also be the metacam is strong enough and it is causing a lack of sensation. In my girl's case I would have doubted it as metacam is far from the strongest med going. However my girl did become fecal incontinent after her problem was diagnosed and we never knew if it was the disk and spine problem itself or the meds to numb the pain. Again, I suggest you discuss this with your Vet.
Old July 11th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Senior Contributor

just my 6 yrs ago thanksgiving our min pin fell off the sofa ,5 at the time totally parillzed--, we rushed him off to the vet, it was the metcalm the vet, our help and the chryo. that helped him! he will be 13 in dec, he is 90% better walks with a limp, now diabect and blind but a real sweetheart, we had to make a ramp for him outside 2 stairs, used a towel to help him when he needed to do his business, time and love, i wish you the very best for your pup , brenda and the pins
Old July 11th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Senior Contributor

i sent you a pm gary b. brenda and the pins
Old July 12th, 2010, 10:12 AM

Sorry, somehow I seem to have missed you PM and now it's gone. Could you please resend and advise on how to answer a PM as this is relatively new to me.
thanks
Old July 12th, 2010, 10:30 AM

We were unable to get in touch with the vet who did the initial work as she is off today, so they had another vet look at the records. We only spoke to the technician who passed along the suggestions of that particular vet. It was suggested that we set up a meeting with a neurologist for a possible MRI. If we went for that, which I am not sure we would, it would mean that Mackenzie would have to go under anaesthesia again. From what I have been told, putting dogs "under" in the first place is a dangerous thing and I'm opposed to doing it so soon after he had it done just last week.
Old July 12th, 2010, 01:37 PM

It sounds to me like your pup is suffering from neurological deficiencies due to IVDD. My 13 year old dachshund just finished 8 weeks of conservative treatment for IVDD and has healed very nicely. He only took Metacam for one week. The crate rest is a must!! You can find excellent information on IVDD at http://dodgerslist.com/. Join the forum too as the moderators are extremely knowledgeable.

As far as the Metacam goes, ask your vet if there is any medical reason why your pup shouldn't take a stomach protector like Pepcid while on the Metacam. It can cause gastrointestinal distress in some dogs.

Your vet can also prescribe meds to calm your dog in the crate. You can also look into Rescue Remedy for dogs or some other type of supplement whose name I cannot remember right now. Composure soft chews perhaps?
Old September 16th, 2012, 07:26 AM

It's been so long and so much has happened. It turned out that MackenzIe developed meningitis in the brain. He was to far gne to do anything and was in so much pain that we had to put him down. It was a very sad time for both my wife and I.
However I am happy to report that we have since brought a rescue dog into our home.
Old September 16th, 2012, 06:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyb View Post
It's been so long and so much has happened. It turned out that MackenzIe developed meningitis in the brain. He was to far gne to do anything and was in so much pain that we had to put him down. It was a very sad time for both my wife and I.
However I am happy to report that we have since brought a rescue dog into our home.

So glad you have a new rescue
Old September 16th, 2012, 06:31 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

So sorry to hear about MackenzIe, garyb Very sad.

Would love to see pics of your new rescue, though. How long have you had the new addition?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 17th, 2012, 07:39 AM

We got Walle about 3 months after we lost Mackenzie. At first like most people we said "no more dogs". Then we said we would wait until spring. But as time went on our home was so empty. I started looking at web sites for rescue dogs and saw this guy on Adopt-a-Dog Save-A-Life. He had been living in a cage for most of his life. His owner had bought him for her daughter (4 years old) and then she realized they didn't have time for him. She was a single mother working and looking after her daughter. So they gave him up, he was put in a foster home and that's how we found him.
Walle will be 3 years old Dec. 31. His is a "Malshi" (Maltese and Shiz Tzu). Walle is from Quebec (therefore the spelling of his name). He can bark in either French or English.
He s also an Alpha dog and sometimes can cause a problem when he sees bigger dogs and starts barking at them. But he is getting better.
Attached Images

Old September 17th, 2012, 11:30 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Walle is absolutely adorable, Gary!!! Only don't tell him that--tell him he's very macho and handsome (which he is), instead, cuz I suspect he'd be mortified to hear that people think he's adorable!

Congratulations on the new addition!!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 17th, 2012, 11:43 AM
Senior Contributor

Gary so sorry to hear about losing Mackenzie, but I totally get the empty feeling. Bless you for rescuing a new furbaby. He is very cute (and macho). to say nothing of lucky!
Old September 18th, 2012, 07:37 AM

and don't forget spoiled, but he almost has us trained the way he wants us to be.
Old September 18th, 2012, 12:27 PM

very handsome boy
most little dogs seem to think that so tough lol lol lol the smaller the toughest.
or top dog in our house is the smallest one of them all
she might be 6 pounds but she definitely is the boss even with our sheperd too funny