Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old June 22nd, 2010, 07:11 AM

Update on owner who wants to delcaw

I talked to the girl again this morning.

She hasn't talked to her father about this yet, but she still managed to make me mad. She says I'm funny for taking this so seriously!

Oh sure, talk about mutilating cats in front of the resident cat lover and watch her get upset about it. Hilarious!

I used to like this girl, but her sheer INDIFFERENCE to the suffering intended for those two cats is changing that fast. She just doesn't care! I begged her to let me foster the cats if they didn't change their mind about the declawing.

She said she was surprised I wasn't picketing in front of her office this morning. B****!

She laughs about the whole thing! I'm mad!

Jenny, the one I grew up with
Shani, the one who brought me the greatest joy
Casimir, who left far too soon
Old June 23rd, 2010, 01:46 PM

Well, I failed again.

She won't let me have the cats and she will have them declawed. She says her father doesn't really care. He feels it's best and so does she.

Even if it will cause the cats pain, she prefers to have it done for her peace of mind. She gave me all the usual arguments: why aren't you against neutering too, all the cats we had were delcawed and didn't have any problems, I don't want my dog to get scratched, etc.

She says she will think about it, but I don't think she will. She just doesn't want to make any effort. She was still smiling the whole way through, saying she was sorry for causing me and the cats pain. The only problem is that she did not seem the least bit sincere. She was talking to me with the kind of forced patience you use with an annoying kid who keeps asking why.

The last thing I said to her was :"you're a heartless monster, and I mean it." THAT wiped the smirk off her face.

I will very likely get in trouble for this because she is friends with my boss. I least I refrained from calling her a b****. I so wanted to! She seemed like such a nice girl... Appearances really CAN be deceiving.

Old June 23rd, 2010, 02:07 PM
Floppy Dog

Why not purchase a voodoo doll and cut its fingers and toes off? Maybe then she'll understand how it feels to be an amputee!

I try to greet the world like my pets do...boundless enthusiasm, intense curiosity and no concept of yesterday and tomorrow.
Old June 23rd, 2010, 02:31 PM

oh my... it is really frustrating when your efforts and passions are completely shot down by someone who is completley pig-headed.

Maybe when she's alone with her thoughts she'll actually realize how ignorant she is being.

Old June 23rd, 2010, 03:24 PM

A frustrating situation, but with the rate of cats being abandoned and euthanasia especially right now in QC, a home is a home and if declawing the cats means they are more likely to stay in that home rather then being dumped later I guess you have to ask yourself what is the lesser of 2 evils.
Old June 23rd, 2010, 04:32 PM
Senior Contributor

cell,I will never agree with that argument.
People who really love their animals would not cause them to suffer and I bet these poor cats,will still one day end up getting dumped
I always say,cats come with claws,you cannot handle it,get an aquarium!!
Old June 23rd, 2010, 04:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
I always say,cats come with claws,you cannot handle it,get an aquarium!!
Absolutely positively wholeheartedly agree!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cell View Post
a home is a home and if declawing the cats means they are more likely to stay in that home rather then being dumped later I guess you have to ask yourself what is the lesser of 2 evils.
This arguement is bull***t. Declawed cats are more than twice as likely to be dumped at shelters (or worse) because they're more likely to develop behaviour issues related to their mutilated paws (such as inappropriate elimination and biting). Plus, I would venture to say that any "owner" willing to do that to a cat (especially when they are informed about what declawing really is), isn't that committed to their cat's wellbeing in the first place. If it's that easy for them to chop off the cat's toes, it's not going to be a big stretch to get rid of the rest of the cat when it becomes inconvenient, for whatever reason.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old June 23rd, 2010, 06:17 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Is she fostering these cats or adopting? If that is the case then you should tell her that she may have some issues finding a good home for them because people are realizing the problems cats have when declawed.
Wonder if there is a way to get them here.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 24th, 2010, 04:34 AM

Hi 14+.

The thing is, the cats' real owner is in hospital right now. If he ever gets out, he will take his cats back. The problem is that he kept them as outside cats, so if he does ever get them back they will likely be sent outside again. I don't think he cares all that much either. The cats were apparently in very poor health when they were taken away.

If he does not get out of hospital, which is likely, I believe those cats will be dumped or put down. That girl doesn't seem to give a damn about what happens to them, and neither does her father. I think I'll investigate this "shelter" of his. See if they follow regulations.

Old June 24th, 2010, 06:38 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

If they belong to someone else how can they "foster" and mutilate the cats in the process? If that person gets out of the hospital and gets them back and puts them outside with no claws their death sentence has been signed. How sad for those poor cats.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 24th, 2010, 06:41 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cell View Post
A frustrating situation, but with the rate of cats being abandoned and euthanasia especially right now in QC, a home is a home and if declawing the cats means they are more likely to stay in that home rather then being dumped later I guess you have to ask yourself what is the lesser of 2 evils.
Not a cat living in pain, that's for sure That argument is just to ease the guilt of those who do it. It is illegal to declaw in many countries because it is considered mutilation, it is time for Canada to get out of the dark ages.

My argument: If you don't want a cat with all it's parts and personalities, then you shouldn't have one. Do people get dog's teeth pulled because they are afraid of them possibly chewing their furniture, or possibly biting a child? No, so why declaw a cat?

The shelters are overrun with cats because people allow their cat to breed, period.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey