Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 10th, 2015, 10:00 PM

Bringing home new cats

I presently have 7 cats, and I predict very soon I will be getting my mothers cat, plus possibly my sons 2 cats at a later date. I have always shut a new arrival in a room by himself for a couple of weeks, and then let him out. I am thinking about this now, and am wondering what good does this do. The new cat would be on one side of the door, and the others on the other side, neither would have a chance to get accustomed to each other. But, if I just bring the new arrival home and put her in with the rest of the cats, then there could be a fight, so that's not good either.

Any suggestions?
Old April 11th, 2015, 05:03 PM

Hi:
Regarding your question about introducing a new kitty to the household.
Your method is very similar to one that I have used over the years. People seem to tweak it to suit their situations.
Basically what I have done is isolate the new kitty in a room by itself with litter box, food, and water, with the door closed for about 24 hours and monitor the reaction of the resident house cats.
The next thing I did - I had a piece of plywood that was about 3 1/2 to 4 feet high, cut to the width of the door, so it could be put in the hole and rest against the doorstops. Where the door latch went into the casing, I put a small deadbolt on the plywood with a small block of wood between the plywood and the deadbolt to make it a snugger fit. And in the bottom of the sheet of plywood about 8 inches off the floor, I cut about a 1 foot square hole - more or less - and covered it with a wire screening or mesh so the cats could see one another and smell one another through the opening.
Usually after the 1st 24 hours I'd open the door and insert the piece of plywood in it's place, so that they could see each other through the mesh. After 48 hours, I'd put the new cat into a carrier and take it out of the room that it has been in and let the resident cats investigate the room. If possible I'd close the door on the resident cats in that room and let the new kitty roam the rest of the house - hopefully for a couple of hours. If possible, I'd do this 2 or 3 times over several days.
If you have cats that are jumpers that would go over the plywood, it would be wise to hang a large towel from the top of the door casing down to cover just below the upper edge of the plywood to make it appear it is a solid door or barrier. That way it makes it easier to stick your head into the room to see what's going on with the new kitty.
Depending on your resident animals, it could be quite a stressful time, and what we so often forget is that cats are very territorial. Adding a new member to the family means that the resident cats are going to have to do some territorial adjustments and this takes time.
If I can find a picture, I'll attach it later. If there are any questions I can help with, please feel free to ask.
Old April 11th, 2015, 05:43 PM

Thank you for your response, it makes a lot of sense , the kitties get to see each other instead of just sniffing behind closed doors. My big fear is exactly what you said, cats are territorial. When we found our last two, one cat we already had began spraying everywhere, and never stopped, We had to put him on Prozac, and he is still on it. When we tried to take him off he ruined my couch.
My mothers cat has never seen another cat in 10 years, so it will be interesting. I'm not looking forward to it, but don't want to give her to the Humane Society, either.
Old April 11th, 2015, 06:12 PM
Senior Contributor

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals...g_new_cat.html
Old April 11th, 2015, 10:11 PM

Thanks Barkingdog., I thought the part where you keep the door open only a couple of inches, just enough to let them see each other, was really a good idea.
Old April 12th, 2015, 07:43 PM

Hello:
The photos are so far back - they are on an old 35 mm camera. I'd have to scan them. But anyhow, some food for thought, something that I found years ago was Rescue Remedy for stress in humans or animals. I'm enclosing a web site for you to have a look at. What I have done with it, is to put between 5 and 7 drops in their drinking water daily. That would be about a litre or quart of water that I put in their drinking fountain. You will find that this will help to relieve stress in the cats. I have used it myself and when you're really stressed out, for instance having to give a speech, it has a tendency to take the sharp edges off the stress.
That web site that Barkingdog gave is an excellent one on the introduction of cats. I'm also going to enclose another one for a cross reference.
I wish we'd have had information like this years ago when it comes to introducing cats to each other for the first time.

http://www.bachrescueremedypet.com/

http://www.sheltermedicine.vet.corne...newcathome.pdf
Old April 12th, 2015, 11:17 PM

Do you know if they sell it in pet stores, or does it have to be ordered? Both sites seem to agree on keeping the new cat confined, I used to do that but didn't know if that was the best way. I guess it still is, but I do like the idea of letting them see each other after awhile, especially for my mothers cat who isn't used to seeing other cats.
Old April 13th, 2015, 10:06 PM

Hi Lindapalm:

Allowing the cats to be able to see each other - through a window - is what we have found works pretty well. That way you don't have to try to open the door or peer around to see what's going on. If it ever opens accidentally, you'd have a big problem.
As far as the Rescue Remedy is concerned, I haven't been able to find Rescue Remedy for Animals in any pet food store in our city, but it may be available in larger centres. I've seen it advertised in the States. And the one for animals has been on the market for only about 8 years.
We have been using the regular one for humans since we started using it and it works fine - that would be perhaps 12 years or so. It's what everybody used to use for animals and humans until the animal one was available.
The atomizer spray that we use is 2 sprays - usually we apply it to the ears of the cat - and the eye dropper one calls for 4 drops - preferably behind the ears or between the toes or rubbed on the belly. I have used it internally but it's not really recommended due to the alcohol content. When it comes to putting it into the water dish, I put between 5 and 7 drops every day. In your case, I would suggest using it a day or so before in the water dish, before the new animal arrives and expect to use it for 2 or 3 weeks. When you stop using it, keep it handy and observe the animal's reactions.
This stuff is very subtle in its method of working.
You didn't mention the ages of your son's cats nor of your own. You said that your mom's cat is about 10 years.
Keep us posted on your progress.

We usually pick up the Rescue Remedy at our local health food store, or the supermarket that has a health food section in it, or at a large drug store such as Shoppers.

Last edited by Reg; April 13th, 2015 at 10:52 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Old June 3rd, 2015, 03:47 PM

I've had my mothers cat for about two weeks now. The first week she had her teeth cleaned and some pulled, so she stayed under my bed constantly. It was such a struggle to get meds into her, then I found out she would eat her food with the meds in it. So much easier than trying to crawl under a king bed to catch her. I've never had a cat do that before, and I was very happy.

Now that she comes out a little when I go in the room, I decided to put a baby gate on the door so she could see all the other kitties. and also put their blankets in her room The first two days I thought she was going to have a stroke. My guys were fine, they took one look at her growling and hissing on the other side of the gate, and they ran.

Its day three of using the gate and the growling and kitty swearing isn't quite so bad, but it looks like its going to be a long summer. Thanks for the ideas.
Old June 3rd, 2015, 07:37 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

One thing that helps in intros is a dab of vanilla under all of their chins so they all smell the same and you can also use baby powder. Just give them all a little wipe down from your hands and again they smell the same.

Have you used Feliway before...it is usually very effective as well.

I have used the baby powder method and Feliway and can vouch that they work.

Baby steps is also good but hard with 7 of your own.....I feel for you
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old June 3rd, 2015, 08:27 PM

Would you put the powder on them when they're on each side of the gate, or wait until I let the new one loose with the rest of the guys? I've tried Feliway before with a cat that sprays, and had no luck. The cat that is the sprayer is the one that worries me when I let the new one, Maggie, loose. Each time I end up with another cat, it causes him to spray. We had to put him on Prozac after having to get a new couch, pillows, etc. and nothing else we tried worked. The Prozac works as long as I don't have couch pillows or baskets on the floor.
Old June 4th, 2015, 06:45 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

You know I would be tempted to do both. I had a female with inappropriate peeing and the feliway really helped. The baby powder worked every time I took one or another to the vet. I would come home and al &?%$ would break loose because one smelled different than the other. Strange thing is they were brother and sister. After 10 minutes or so of the same smell they would be accepting of one another. Strange how scent works and not vision..

I also had to be right on the peeing if it was outside of the box. Diligent to be sure she never had the chance. Sometimes she would hide and pee wherever she was hiding.
RIP my baby girl

You may also want to slow the intros to a cat at a time because she may find it really overwhelming. I say that especially if she was in a single cat home.

Good Luck!
Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old June 4th, 2015, 08:21 PM

I definitely will try the baby powder. Last week I put my nicest cat in the same room, hoping he would be a goodwill ambassador, he went under the bed, heard her, and ran away. I'm going to leave the baby gate up all day and leave her in my room for a long time, even though she insists on sleeping on top of me at night. Its better that way than rushing it and having a horrible fight and one of them get hurt, which I think would definitely happen, or have her hide somewhere in the house and not come out.

My sisters house would be perfect because she has no cats, but her husband hates cats. As a last resort she may have to go there, but not until I have given it my best shot. The humane society wouldn't work, either, because she would be in a cage with other cats for who knows how long.

Thanks for the baby powder idea, I may even give the Feliway another try.