Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 23rd, 2011, 11:53 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Nino Went to The Vet Today!!

:The other day I was going to give him a scritch under his chin, he likes that alot, and noticed a pretty nasty scab, so of course it was OMG!! But then I thought ok I've had cats with feline acne before and it cleared up and this was forming a scab so I thought rather than panic see if it clears up..well it decided to spread down his neck so now I'm thinking ok time to call the vet!

So anyway, I called yesterday and made his appt and warned them that a: he's a BIG kitty, he can be pretty cantakorous, and he has been known to try to bite as he has NO claws!! So he sang to me the whole way, had an accident, fortunately just as I was getting into the town, so he didn't get all messy.

Anyway, when I got to the vet's they were backed up cause they just had a cow come in for an emergency calving..it's that time of year out here! So I warned them again and left him there. BTW he weighs 16.5 pounds!! So anyway, he's got a bit of a bacterial and fungal infection!! He's on antibiotics and an anti-fungal cream. And he purred and lovied them the whole time the vet was shaving his chin and neck!! The kids are out of school here and the vet's daughter was in and she had to introduce her to Nino!! What a big wind bag!! Here I am thinking he's going to wreak havoc on the place!! I was going to suggest they put him in the cattle squeeze!!

So he just got his nighttime pill and some ointment..smells nice! Man he's got a big mouth!!
Old February 24th, 2011, 08:04 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Kitties can be a big surprise, can't they . Hopefully his booboo will clear up quickly

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 24th, 2011, 12:05 PM

...that's a cute story
I used to think that about my girls when young; if they didn't behave at home - please, let them be well behaved when I take them out somewhere!
Hope your cat is better soon.
J.
Old February 24th, 2011, 01:07 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

The vet mentioned that it seems to be the cats that the owners expect to be psycho are the quiet calm friendly ones at the vet's and the ones that the owners say, oh he'll be fine and quiet are the psycho ones!!
Old February 24th, 2011, 01:25 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Good boy Nino!
I often think when I take one of my semi feral kitties in that they may rip the vets' or vet techs' arm off if they try anything. Those are usually the kitties who spend their visit velcroed to me but letting the vet do whatever they want.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old February 24th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

He's not the easiest to pill though!! Wow those are big fangs!! Fortunately I got a pill gun thingy from the vet! I think he likes his ointment though. I imagine it feels pretty good when I rub it in. At least it's stopped the itching, poor kitty. I feel bad though, waiting to take him in but with Noella being under the weather a bit after her spay and the weather here being so cold. I feel worse for not noticing it sooner...I was starting to think OMG I'm neglecting poor Nino! Especially when I felt the scab under his chin...but he's all taken care of now...he's sleeping and not scratching
Old February 24th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Senior Contributor

I am glad Nino was a good boy
My Vinnie a HUGE love-bug turns in to a tiger at the vets,last time he scratch my sweet vets nose
A thermometer,no way can you do that to Vinnie
Old February 24th, 2011, 07:28 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Our vet in Ontario went high tech and had the in the ear thermometer type. Here it's still old-fashioned in the butt type! But then she's alot more affordable here!! This is the first time they charged for an office visit but then they did have to clean his butt, shave and clean his chin and neck, give him his first pill and first dose of ointment. That would have cost me at least 75.00 in Ontario, here it was 35.00
Old February 24th, 2011, 07:31 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm glad Nino is feeling better. What a gent, so well-behaved at the vet!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 24th, 2011, 07:36 PM
-

LOL, one of my last kitties used to purr when he got the thermometer up the butt.

Glad Nino was such a good boy and hope his infection clears up quickly.
Old February 24th, 2011, 10:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Patty,,,sounds like Nino wanted Mom to be very proud of him so he was on his extra special behaviour. *S* I hope he feels better soon!

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old February 27th, 2011, 01:52 PM

Sorry I'm just seeing this now Pattymac. I'm very happy to hear that Nino is feeling better now and hopefully is continuing to do so. Did the vet mention how he could have caught this infection?

When I first had Nino and he had to stay at the vets for a few days and they all said what a beautiful well behaved cat he was. Well, when I go him home he sure wasn't. The first few days I couldn't even get near him without him hissing and growling at me and looking like he was ready to attack. Thankfully though he turned out to be a loving cat.

Again I can't thank you enough for making such a long trip to adopt him. I know at first it was rough for you and your mom, but thankfully it turned out well.

UUUUMMMMM any chance on seeing more pictures of him? HUH??? Pretty, pretty please??????
Old February 28th, 2011, 02:11 AM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Yes, his chin is healing up nicely. The vet thought maybe just some food got tangled up and if he scratched it and you know one thing leads to another. It's got a scab on it now and the area isn't red and he hasn't been scratching at it. I've stopped putting the cream on for now, I want the scab to be able to dry, but if it starts looking red again, I'll put some more on.

He can be sooo funny at times, he's been fine with me, considering twice a day I have to give him his pill. I do use the pill gun thing... I'm not sticking my fingers in that mouth!! Those are quite the fangs!!

I have some pics on my computer but I can only upload like 2 at a time...sometimes living in the middle of nowhere can be a pain I have a really cute one of Nino with Bobee, laying on the back of the couch together, facing each other almost paw to paw. Can't remember if it ended in an argument or not. Bobee usually starts them though...I think Nino still intimidates him and he has to get all up in Nino's face to try to show him that he thinks he's the boss!! Funny though, if Nino screams at him, still freaks Bobee out and he gets all shook up and starts sneezing...I don't know about that cat sometimes!! He's got his own ideas for sure! Must be because he didn't have him mom to raise him!
Old February 28th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Senior Contributor

Glad he behaved at the vet. I guess you just never know sometimes.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old February 28th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Senior Contributor

Nino could surely try and talk to my Blu. Bringing Blu to a vet can be complete chaos. Even the vet dreads our visits.
Glad he is doing well.
Old February 28th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

I've been lucky with this current batch of kitties, everybody is really good at the vet's. Bobee would rather not be there but he just hides his head!

My first cat, Nikki...oh boy!! I had to take him one time for some sort of upset tummy. They wanted him to stay overnight to monitor throwing up etc. Well the next afternoon, I get a call to please come and pick him up ASAP! They had to put a towel over his cage door to keep him from trying to eat the staff! They had me go and get him out, no one wanted to reach in to grab him! So I went in and opened the door, he was crouched at the back just ready to go at who ever came in. I called him Nikki!! and he was like OMG MOM!! It was like looking at Jekyll and Hyde!!
Old February 28th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattymac View Post
I've been lucky with this current batch of kitties, everybody is really good at the vet's. Bobee would rather not be there but he just hides his head!

My first cat, Nikki...oh boy!! I had to take him one time for some sort of upset tummy. They wanted him to stay overnight to monitor throwing up etc. Well the next afternoon, I get a call to please come and pick him up ASAP! They had to put a towel over his cage door to keep him from trying to eat the staff! They had me go and get him out, no one wanted to reach in to grab him! So I went in and opened the door, he was crouched at the back just ready to go at who ever came in. I called him Nikki!! and he was like OMG MOM!! It was like looking at Jekyll and Hyde!!
Nikki sounds like Blu. He is horrible to vet and trying to clip his claws is something to be seen.

So glad your cats are little treasures. Maybe they can give Blu a call to give momma a break...
Old February 28th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Vlad has to be gassed. I took him in last month for his annual wellness, with the new vet at the practice and he suggested we would have to sedate him. I told him I knew that, but that I'd prefer him to be given gas, since we did that with the last vet because she said he would recover from that faster and he would not be completely knocked out, like he would be with an injection.

I don't like having to do that, even if he recovers as soon as they take away the gas, but Vlad is like a wild animal at the vet. He's scary and has on occasion swatted at me while trying to help calm him there and gave me a nasty scratch.

I truly dread having to take him to the vet. Oksana is my other wild child, but she's more manageable than Vlad, and not as big. They are able to hold her with the gloves easier than with Vlad.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/